Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Some of these concerns may be allayed if I tell you that I have just had an email from Mr Hillier reminding me that my 'for Life' membership is being renewed. I've checked the website and sure enough, there is a note in there saying that my renewal letter is on the way. The card I presently have expires at the end of April, membership year end was 8th March. I hope that this may reduce anxieties about BA's future plans in this regard - I have no reason to doubt their intentions to honour their commitment to the 'for Life' cards.
i doubt the principle itself of LTG/LTGGL is in great jeopardy, since BA as the biggest airline in IAG is unlikely to go the way of BD and have its programme subsumed into another. However, the moving of goalposts for those not yet qualified, or the devaluation of the benefits members receive for life, is another matter, whether now or in the future. Of course, if GGL is made more exclusive, that would likely be a positive for those of you who have reached the dizzy heights of LTGGL.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & GfL, HHons Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, IHGSpire Elite, Kimpton Inner Circ
Loyalty is a two-way street

Interesting reading so many different views. I usually requalify for GGL with around 4,000 TPS, mainly A priced TATL in F plus domestic. While it would not be hard to push this to 5,000 I would want to see some very significant additional benefits to justify the additional BA spend. In practice having attained GfL, if BA did not come up with a real incentive to hit the higher level I would be more likely to shop around for all my travel and hit any targets for flights on BA tin via LON-EDI trips I have to do most months. Equally, if GGL is made unattainable, that is all my BA spend, other than domestic, which I was just starting to move back to BA, up for grabs by other airlines. If they renege on their GfL commitment I will have spent my last £ with them.

Who knows what April will bring, just has to wait and see but I am now pricing all my future flights for the year with other airlines just in case, something I have never done for a decade.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Cost. Servicing GGL members costs money. Jokers cost money. Giving free changes on bookings doesn't bring in money in service fees.
If the additional cost is outweighed by the extra revenue they are still up.

so, perhaps the key here is they find ways that manage out those that bring little extra value but impose a lot of cost.

no one knows but my best guess is that redemption gets much more expensive when ‘saver awards’ have gone - but much more available (for a price - plus taxes, fees, convenience fee, service charge, lunar cycle charge etc etc).

The other real cost is where an HBO fare that cost less than some plus guest will consume in the lounges beforehand. Now that’s a tricky one as the £39 HBO today is the £5000 cw to lax tomorrow.

As others have mentioned the alcohol and food free at point of consumption tend to be a ‘pass’ from most regular flyers. To see the opposite go F to Cape Town over uk winter to see gluttony redefined. That seems like an easy one to address.
SuperstarDJ likes this.

Last edited by DFB_london; Mar 11, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
If this alignment to 5k TPs for requalification does go ahead, I wonder how that would be implemented? I'm on course to hit my 3k JUST before April. Is my app going to say "GGL retained" and then get an email from BA saying I actually need another 2k by August?

Now this year I may actually go through 5K again regardless, but I'd imagine there would be a fair few people in the same situation.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I would imagine once you get a message/email suggesting retained it won’t be taken away.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Would not be surprised if BA go on a charm offensive after the brand survey result. Odds on any significant downgrade of the BAEC now much reduced.
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Would not be surprised if BA go on a charm offensive after the brand survey result. Odds on any significant downgrade of the BAEC now much reduced.
Really? Is there a media or PR team left to even do that?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I would imagine once you get a message/email suggesting retained it won’t be taken away.
Agreed. I was just wondering if you've always qualified at 3k (but never reached the heady heights of 5k) would you be upgraded to this (possible) new tier having retained at the previous level.

If the perceived benefits are to be upgraded, it could scoop up a lot in the 3-5k range who're not/haven't ever been CCR.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
The response to the IT outage a while back aside, do you honestly think BA hasn’t already made a decision on this?! Doubt it’s a moving target!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by AdBoy
Agreed. I was just wondering if you've always qualified at 3k (but never reached the heady heights of 5k) would you be upgraded to this (possible) new tier having retained at the previous level.

If the perceived benefits are to be upgraded, it could scoop up a lot in the 3-5k range who're not/haven't ever been CCR.
That could make sense - tease customers with a few benefits short term, while having a nice bit cull of the numbers for them long term. In the hope that some go for 5k next year (too niche, IMO).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL

I'd be very surprised if they did this purely based on the numbers involved. If the rumours on this board are to be believed, you have approx 500-600 GGL/CCR card holders and approx. 4K-5K GGL members (I think those were the numbers) - so uplifting 4K-5K people with access to the CCR would be too much even for a 12 month period. I would think if GGL status (non-CCR) is received prior to whatever date BA set in their communication, you will retain that for another 12 months before becoming Gold and the GGL (non-CCR) status will be phased out.

Pilot37
AdBoy, frasier and SuperstarDJ like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Pilot37
I'd be very surprised if they did this purely based on the numbers involved. If the rumours on this board are to be believed, you have approx 500-600 GGL/CCR card holders and approx. 4K-5K GGL members (I think those were the numbers) - so uplifting 4K-5K people with access to the CCR would be too much even for a 12 month period. I would think if GGL status (non-CCR) is received prior to whatever date BA set in their communication, you will retain that for another 12 months before becoming Gold and the GGL (non-CCR) status will be phased out.

Pilot37
That's where I still struggle with why current sub-5k GGL's would bother to keep earning with BA beyond 1.5k. That to me could be worth a big chunk of cash to BA each year which may venture elsewhere.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
That's where I still struggle with why current sub-5k GGL's would bother to keep earning with BA beyond 1.5k. That to me could be worth a big chunk of cash to BA each year which may venture elsewhere.
The calculation is that most of them don't have anywhere else to go. To an extent, BA has already made its mind up by not allowing any new GGLs who've never made it to 5k TP.

GUFs might keep some of them loyal (including me - I'm gold, not GGL, knocking on the door of CCR this year though not quite literally) but I could have taken the view that *A Gold was preferable to another 2k+ TPs and enjoyed some very cheap ex-LON trips.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A lot of prople's travel patterns and spend are set by practicalities. All those years ago, I was told to live within 30 mins of LHR. I still do. So LHR, and its more or less BA monopoly for direct flights is still the best solution for me, if/when I have a choice.
I will go to LGW etc., but not by choice, and I will not fly to, say, the West Coast, via Outer Mongolia - Aberdeen? - to get a cheaper fare.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:12 am

It could be interesting if they revert to the old model of upon promotion to the next tier, having one's tier points reset. Flying Blue have now gone down this route.

This clearly wouldn't address the the 5000 vs 3000 question, but for other passengers be a way of thinning out the tiers somewhat.

What would be interesting to know is the amount of churn at the 3000 level each year. I'll make it by 50 tps this year, next year, I suspect I won't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.