Wiki Posts
Search

No more fresh coffee in Euro Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Inc Amb
No more fresh coffee in Euro Traveller

Chatting to cabin crew earlier this week on a flight to Bucharest, I was horrified to hear that BA plan to drop the fresh coffee from the M&S menu. Already the decaf has been replaced with a horrible Kenco "Cappuccino" (which of course is no such thing since it's just stirred powder) but apparently they will move to instant coffee as the main offering.

Seriously?

The crew claimed it was because so many passengers were having problems with the cups for the fresh coffee....
hugolover and florens like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I hope it is priced to reflect the ‘downgrade’.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:45 am

I’ve not heard this, the Java Republic coffee is very popular.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
That would be very bad news indeed. I'd have to pack a thermos as well as a hip flask
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if the feedback from this board is anything to go by and BoB is the unmitigated disaster that we read every day coz nobody buys anything then nobody will really notice any difference
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I hate the buy on board coffee cups. It feels like I'm drinking hot water strained through coffee grits.

Provided they use a good quality instant coffee (they exist!) is a step up.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if the feedback from this board is anything to go by and BoB is the unmitigated disaster that we read every day coz nobody buys anything then nobody will really notice any difference
This sounds like you are misinterpreting the feedback.

People certainly buy stuff - absolutely no doubt about that.

However ......the true level of BoB turnover is known for sure only to BA (and their partners) ; and what BA say publicly about the ‘success’ of BoB may, or may not, be taken as gospel, depending on one’s individual perspective.

What we can say is that there are many incidents of food - and yes, sometimes coffee too - not even being available for sale to some willing-to-buy pax, whether because a) time is too short, and/or b) inadequate (and occasionally, zero) supplies have been loaded.
lukew, missdimeaner and hugolover like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The BoB coffee is way better than the CE stuff. Yes, you do need to figure it out, but shame if it goes
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Inc Amb
Originally Posted by jerub
I hate the buy on board coffee cups. It feels like I'm drinking hot water strained through coffee grits.
I've never had that - the BoB coffee is definitely better than the stuff brewed in the galleys (I've had both this week) and isn't half bad.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Agreed ... it's way better than the stuff that comes out of the bit silver teapots which is usually pretty vile ! .. Shame to see it go .. I've bought it occasionally .... of course I'd prefer it if was free, but if you have to have BoB it's better to have decent stuff !
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The BoB coffee is way better than the CE stuff. Yes, you do need to figure it out, but shame if it goes
This does irritate me. I enquired whether I might be able to get some Big Tom tomato juice from the back when I was flying in CE and wanted a Bloody Mary the other day, but in CE they insist on serving cheap tomato juice with just a bit of Worchester sauce. I'm flying CE again tomorrow and might ask whether I could buy one...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:11 am

Define fresh coffee?

Heard rumours the mid-console in CE is on its way out also. You know they weigh a few pounds... x amount of AC x flights per year would save some fuel, right? And some McKinsey or Bain type can bill more hours
Or actually BA are probably to cheap to pay for a top consultancy firm...
hugolover and kosy91 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Petrus
Define fresh coffee?

Heard rumours the mid-console in CE is on its way out also. You know they weigh a few pounds... x amount of AC x flights per year would save some fuel, right? And some McKinsey or Bain type can bill more hours
Or actually BA are probably to cheap to pay for a top consultancy firm...
You might think that...

In any case, I don't think it's a fair accusation to accuse BA of being cheap. They're only cheap towards their customers.
hugolover and gordon0808 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:22 pm

How can you have fresh coffee from an aircraft potable water tank that fills up from multiple locations?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Let's hope they're not planning to replace it with the ditch water they used to serve. All because those with status aren't willing to fork out for a decent coffee.
Dan72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.