Wiki Posts
Search

Inappropriate Conduct by BA staff

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Inappropriate Conduct by BA staff

I am a Gold member. I travelled last night on a long haul flight fro LHR to an Asian capital. At the boarding desk, a BA staff member was speaking loudly and inappropriately in respect of a passenger matter. I reminded her of the requirements of the Data Protection Act, to which she replied to me "There's got to be something else wrong [for you] t be acting like this". In response to my request for her name, she refused, covered her name badge and said to me words to the effect of "You didn't get enough last night". Her clear implication was that my legitimate concern arose from sexual frustration. I am deeply offended and astonished by such conduct. She subsequently denied making any such statement. I reminded her that CCTV can be accessed and lip readers used to confirm her words. I asked to speak immediately with a manager. None was available. On boarding, I alerted the CSD and completed a report which stressed the need for urgent action and requested that the BA Legal Team contact me today. (I am a lawyer myself). On arrival in Asia, a BA staff member met me at he aircraft and again, I provided details of the matter. I was assured of immediate action. Instead, I have just received a standard automatic email from Customer Relations.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:17 am

Did you really think they were going to use CCTV footage with lip readers?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Quite extraordinary. Every time one thinks that one had heard it all, something new emerges. Would you care to tell us which Asian capital and at which check-in desk this occurred and when? It might be helpful to know the exact words used rather than your interpretation.

Shocking.
Sealink, icegirl and icegreen like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:22 am

what was the passenger related matter that caused the inappropriately loud response?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
she was wrong anyway. Due to excessive travel I'm not getting enough either, but I remain polite and courteous at all times. RIGHT?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by bisonrav
she was wrong anyway. Due to excessive travel I'm not getting enough either, but I remain polite and courteous at all times. RIGHT?
some would say travel opens up more possibilities, but I suppose that depends on your ‘philosophy’
RobDBA, florens, Kiara and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by southsquare
I am a Gold member. I travelled last night on a long haul flight fro LHR to an Asian capital. ... I have just received a standard automatic email from Customer Relations.
That seems very quick, and may not be the final communication on the matter. I'd call Gold line and ask for help getting a substantive response.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

some would say travel opens up more possibilities, but I suppose that depends on your ‘philosophy’
I'd hardly admit to anything like that, would I? Anyway, back to the original subject
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JumboJet
Did you really think they were going to use CCTV footage with lip readers?
If action is commenced, an application for disclosure of that CCTV can certainly be made and any party may properly employ lip readers.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
If action is commenced, an application for disclosure of that CCTV can certainly be made and any party may properly employ lip readers.
Would this be a Civil action, and can you compel release of that sort of material under it? Or a Subject Access Request, perhaps a little ironically under Data Protection provisions? That would presumably be to HAL?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't see anyone going through CCTV or lip-reading, but if a complaint has been submitted and there is substance attached, then typically what will happen is that this will work its way though the line managers concerned. They will handle the consequences, if any. The complainant would get an apology but probably nothing more specific than that (for pretty much the same reason as the basis of this complaint). If the staff member has "form" then this is part of line management process. Due to the shift systems in T5, and the need for due process, it is unlikely that this will progress at top speed, so the OP may need to let the system work for a week or two before following up. I would hope any apology would come quickly, if that hasn't happened already.
Robshaw236 and bisonrav like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I am a Gold member. I travelled last night on a long haul flight fro LHR to an Asian capital. At the boarding desk, a BA staff member was speaking loudly and inappropriately in respect of a passenger matter. I reminded her of the requirements of the Data Protection Act, to which she replied to me "There's got to be something else wrong [for you] t be acting like this". In response to my request for her name, she refused, covered her name badge and said to me words to the effect of "You didn't get enough last night". Her clear implication was that my legitimate concern arose from sexual frustration. I am deeply offended and astonished by such conduct. She subsequently denied making any such statement. I reminded her that CCTV can be accessed and lip readers used to confirm her words. I asked to speak immediately with a manager. None was available. On boarding, I alerted the CSD and completed a report which stressed the need for urgent action and requested that the BA Legal Team contact me today. (I am a lawyer myself). On arrival in Asia, a BA staff member met me at he aircraft and again, I provided details of the matter. I was assured of immediate action. Instead, I have just received a standard automatic email from Customer Relations.
Whilst the sort of reported behaviour is unacceptable, what exactly are you wanting from BA?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What an over reaction!

a simple ‘please moderate your voice’ would have sufficed.
BearX220, stevie, JBauer and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:51 am

Things must be different in the UK. Recently when I was trying to figure out who used a company credit card to charge 20k on, the stores were very uncooperative and did not allow the viewing of the tapes until a warrant was issued. Some of the stores didn't comply even then.

That not even going into the fact that 98% of the CCTV I have seen isn't clear enough to make out a persons identity let alone read their lips.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:54 am
Original Poster

I requested that a member of the BA legal team contact me today (and I provided contact details) in order to discuss with me what steps BA may take, as a matter of urgency, to prevent external action being taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.