Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG FY Results 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:27 am
Original Poster

IAG FY Results 2017

Presentation is here with the webcast starting at 09.00 UK time.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...49108503290609
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Nothing on NPS but I am not sure if that was ever included in the quarterly updates. Just had a brief skim but the underlying numbers look positive, which goes to show that our dire predictions look wrong. Pity but the race to the bottom appears to be the profitable strategy.

I think this is the first time they have said this though

IAG is a Spanish company. Its airlines have long-established AOCs and substantive businesses in Ireland, France, Spain and the UK employing around 63,000 people and operating 546 aircraft
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:48 am

Uh oh....Slide 32......Avios Transformation
florens likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:50 am

Good set of results.

Still no sign of a competitive J seat for BA.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:03 am

Lots of definitions for which I think you really need the full notes:

Adj. EPS (in light of buybacks); ROIC definitions (with or without leases), ‘on b/s capex’ in cash flows. Whilst overall IAG’s performance metrics are tier 1 in world of airlines I’m personally always wary when companies use too many adjusted definitions (or point out definitions of certain things but not the others....).
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Uh oh....Slide 32......Avios Transformation
That's presumably a reference to their plans to get all the different Avios schemes onto the same system (as EI is on Avios.com), rather than anything worse.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Solid results, these things are often more interesting for what they don't say. The emphasis on IAG CASK reduction since 2011 helps to gloss over recent cost challenges (trying to break strikes is expensive...).

The biggest BA capacity increase I've seen in a while is projected for FY18. It doesn't really say why, but I guess it's a combination of Monarch slots ar LGW, densification and better fleet utilisation.

Also a bigger than usual emphasis on IAG itself and the investment case. The share buybacks are also interesting.

IAG share price down 3.6% this morning as I type, let's see how it progresses.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:07 am
Original Poster

From a financial perspective they definitely seen a solid set of results.

Picking out the passenger centric stuff, which is not the focus of the deck, I noted that on slide 11, that catering costs seemed to be between 4% and 7% down. That's clearly across the group, but not quite sure how they can be investing in a better product if they're saying they're reducing costs.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Dave_C

Picking out the passenger centric stuff, which is not the focus of the deck, I noted that on slide 11, that catering costs seemed to be between 4% and 7% down. That's clearly across the group, but not quite sure how they can be investing in a better product if they're saying they're reducing costs.
Well, while I'm quite sceptical about the investment in better premium catering, there may not be a link. BoB will have reduced catering costs significantly vs 2016, and this section of the chart combines catering and handling. BA in particular has been outsourcing handing as much as possible recently, presume that is contributing to the cost reduction.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Solid results, these things are often more interesting for what they don't say. The emphasis on IAG CASK reduction since 2011 helps to gloss over recent cost challenges (trying to break strikes is expensive...).
Completely agree. Rise in unit costs is the big negative that jumps out from the slides.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Completely agree. Rise in unit costs is the big negative that jumps out from the slides.
Slide 27 shows costs rising YoY over the past three years.

Also, interestingly, Plan4 is being presented as a cost reduction plan, as opposed to an investment plan.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Good set of results.

Still no sign of a competitive J seat for BA.
@rossmacd Let me answer that speculation for you... https://www.qatarairways.com/en/onboard/qsuite.html

Give or take... that's what will be rolled out as the new J product in the near future.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jonnye
@rossmacd Let me answer that speculation for you... https://www.qatarairways.com/en/onboard/qsuite.html

Give or take... that's what will be rolled out as the new J product in the near future.
Here's the thing .... the Qsuite density is surprisingly high. They lost ZERO seats swapping the old rubbish 777 seat for the suite, because the introduction of cubby holes for your feet saved a huge amount of space. Very interesting example of how you can go from a seat that people actively avoided to genuine best in class and still have a 42 seat cabin.

BA actually has a huge amount of flexibility if they are willing to go down the cubby hole route.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:39 am
Original Poster

From listening to the call, Willie has just said that there will be a proposal for the refresh of Avios, which will go to the board in March. It should have gone yesterday, but the agenda was too busy. No more detail than that.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by jonnye

If BA introduced this seat they would get the vast majority of my flights.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.