Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG FY Results 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink
Of course, apprecitate the clarification. I did see 4 daily flights between the two this summer.
Just in Philly now, and love it. It's like New York only friendlier and smaller.
I also think they were calling out EI's new daily DUB-PHL flight

Just a correction, AA/BA will have 24 weekly flights on LHR-PHL this summer.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I note that RASK/PRASK continue the spiral downward, however.
Originally Posted by Raffles
No surprise there though, is it? Ł29 one way ET fares are now regularly available and we had CE returns from Ł114 in the recent sale. Most US destinations are Ł1400 in CW if you book now for the Autumn / Winter season.
I'll draw the comparison with hotel OTAs, and even hotels themselves. They would like high ADR (Average Daily Rate for a room, basic measure of hotel revenue to compare with hotel RASK) but they can only charge rates the customers will pay, and an empty hotel like an empty aircraft is much worse than a full hotel/aircraft at low profits. Revenue is negative for a low-occupancy hotel and aircraft, not just near but above zero.

Customers won't (can't) pay higher fares, hence all those cheap deals you cite. Their economies are in the toilet, their countries are uncertain places to live in, and they're feeling tight. That's outside BA's control, all it can control is some of its costs. It can't increase revenues easily. Not an enviable situation to be in, commercially.

Here's the thing .... the Qsuite density is surprisingly high. They lost ZERO seats swapping the old rubbish 777 seat for the suite, because the introduction of cubby holes for your feet saved a huge amount of space. Very interesting example of how you can go from a seat that people actively avoided to genuine best in class and still have a 42 seat cabin.
BA actually has a huge amount of flexibility if they are willing to go down the cubby hole route.
The foot-cubby-holes, in their various designs, are often hateful if you have larger feet, are taller (so your feet are shoved further into a tapered cubby), or want to lie on your side (if the cubby is not wide enough). One of the outstanding advantages of BA CW is that it doesn't have these problems.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Some interesting points from the internal presentation for staff today:
  • The results are a good news story. All very positive numbers, something to be proud of. The main blip is that non-fuel unit costs continue to rise vs. -1% target
  • Alex Cruz says that BA wants to equal or better Delta's business class seat - hinted very strongly that we will see something similar with a door, extra privacy etc. Went on to say "And if we are to introduce something like what Delta are doing, it means we'll have to take a look at what we are offering in First. We won't be able to have something like this (gestures at Delta seat image) and continue with our current First proposition".
  • NPS is now positive thanks to investments in WT Catering etc. "part of Plan4"
  • Original Ł400 million investment in CW was "emergency money" to start the transformation
  • 20 new lounges to open across the network this year (3rd party I would assume)
  • 2019 is centenary of airline that is now BA. New uniform as part of the celebrations. To be designed together with staff.
Not a very inspiring presentation in my view. A lot of comment about Plan4 and all of the investment it is bringing, whereas a lot of what was being talked about was well underway before Alex even arrived at BA, and certainly hasn't been instigated by him...

Last edited by TWEED1A; Feb 23, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reason: Elaborated on AC´s quote
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by TWEED1A
  • The results are a good news story. All very positive numbers, something to be proud of. The main blip is that non-fuel unit costs continue to rise vs. -1% target
  • Alex Cruz says that BA wants to equal or better Delta's business class seat - hinted very strongly that we will see something similar with a door, extra privacy etc. Went on to say "And if we are to introduce something like what Delta are doing, it means we'll have to take a look at what we are offering in First. We won't be able to have something like this (gestures at Delta seat image) and continue with our current First proposition".
  • Original Ł400 million investment in CW was "emergency money" to start the transformation
  • 20 new lounges to open across the network this year (3rd party I would assume)
  • 2019 is centenary of airline that is now BA. New uniform as part of the celebrations. To be designed together with staff.
Not a very inspiring presentation in my view. A lot of comment about Plan4 and all of the investment it is bringing, whereas a lot of what was being talked about was well underway before Alex even arrived at BA, and certainly hasn't been instigated by him...
Thanks for the insight. Good to hear him being open and honest about where the current F and CW hard product is relative to the competition. Perhaps that statement also fits with the post upthread suggesting the new CW will be a version of the Q-suite.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good things come to those who wait was always the plan.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good things come to those who wait was always the plan.
Considering the speed that BA roll out new things.....
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What is there to show for the Ł400m emergency money in club world?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Interesting how BA was a market leader 20 years ago with the CW flat bed and now they are considering basically copying an existing seat. Given the pace of BA lately, that means it won't be universally fitted across the fleet for another decade and will be complete obsolete when it's finally finished being rolled out.
stevie likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TWEED1A
Is Delta a typo? Did you mean Qatar?

I’m still amused that despite every BA employee apparently spending all day every day cutting costs, they still went up (exc fuel). I mean ....!

‘Good’ news is that all Eurofleet CSDs are being fired so that will save a few quid .....

Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Is Delta a typo? Did you mean Qatar?

I’m still amused that despite every BA employee apparently spending all day every day cutting costs, they still went up (exc fuel). I mean ....!

‘Good’ news is that all Eurofleet CSDs are being fired so that will save a few quid .....

I guess Delta are far more of a competitor than Qatar who essentially are the daddy.

I've not yet flown in the Delta A350 seat, but it is just a Thomson Vantage XL with a door. However it has got good reviews from the blogosphere, for what that's worth.

It's interesting how the Plan4 message is being portrayed internally, as certainly to investors at the results call yesterday it's very clear that it's a cost control initiative first and foremost.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:11 pm

And the Virgin Atlantic 2017 results...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w-cost-squeeze
Dave_C likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
And the Virgin Atlantic 2017 results...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w-cost-squeeze
Not a good performance, however they’ll soon be vaguely irrelevant as they essentially become an adjunct of the AF/KLM/Delta Group.

Arguably of more relavance are the LH Group results, which have increased significantly due to the demise of Air Berlin. Plus there appears less of an upward cost pressure than with the IAG/BA results.

I’m know there are more experienced people than me, but it appears Carsten has done a better job than Willie in steering an airline group of similar size.

Are we getting to the point where the EU3 (IAG, LH, AF/KLM) will always be profitable like the US3?

https://investor-relations.lufthansa...eschichte.html

And the annual report:
https://investor-relations.lufthansa...-AR-2017-e.pdf
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:47 am

Cathay just announced a loss of $1.25B HKD. Looks like leaving OW is even more likely.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calum
Cathay just announced a loss of $1.25B HKD. Looks like leaving OW is even more likely.
However in H2 their premium revenue showed a good upturn. Perhaps the worst is now behind them?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:25 am

It is curious many of the airlines championed by the FT community, VS, Cathay, Qatar, Etihad... all didnt make any money last year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.