Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think that.. [Snow forecast]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Do you think that.. [Snow forecast]

anyone at BA/LHR has checked the weather forecast for next week? Or will it just be a big surprise again?

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-fo...ives-next-week

I've actually bought 4 additional Easyjet tickets over and above the 4 we already hold on BA, as an insurance policy, for fear BA go into their usual meltdown
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ballogie
anyone at BA/LHR has checked the weather forecast for next week? Or will it just be a big surprise again?

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-fo...ives-next-week

I've actually bought 4 additional Easyjet tickets over and above the 4 we already hold on BA, as an insurance policy, for fear BA go into their usual meltdown
Expected or not, if a single snowflake falls at LHR it will be a bloody shambles, same as it always is.
davm666 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended

You know that bit ‘reasonable measures’? It’s ignored.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:53 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Expected or not, if a single snowflake falls at LHR it will be a bloody shambles, same as it always is.
Yep. And then when people moan about it here we will get the usual posts from others telling us that it is impossible for BA to operate anywhere near capacity after a bit of frost or a few snowflakes have fallen.

It's only impossible because BA doesn't plan, invest and prepare sufficiently for such events. Having been involved in December's snowmageddon event (remind me, was it 4 or 5 snowflakes that fell that day ). I'm not suggesting that proper snow won't cause any disruption, but a bit of frost and a few snowflakes should at worst cause minor problems.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:03 pm

If I was still silver instead of having recently dropped to bronze, I'd book a cheap flight on the coldest predicted day and hope for a two-year "apology extension" to my status as my flight was cancelled.
deboyzoned, rockflyertalk and aidy like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gms
Yep. And then when people moan about it here we will get the usual posts from others telling us that it is impossible for BA to operate anywhere near capacity after a bit of frost or a few snowflakes have fallen.

It's only impossible because BA doesn't plan, invest and prepare sufficiently for such events. Having been involved in December's snowmageddon event (remind me, was it 4 or 5 snowflakes that fell that day ). I'm not suggesting that proper snow won't cause any disruption, but a bit of frost and a few snowflakes should at worst cause minor problems.
There's nothing an airline can do about slot restrictions imposed due to weather
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Not this again.

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
There's nothing an airline can do about slot restrictions imposed due to weather
Again, nothing to do with "slots". BA chooses not to provide enough de-icing capability.

HAL are to blame if they do not clear the manoeuvring area of contamination, but they have bought a huge amount of clearing equipment in the last 5 years or so. It's rare that it snows heavily and consistently enough in the UK that they cannot keep up, although this used to be a big problem in the past.

NATS generally have no need to implement any ATFCM measures during snow as the departure rate available is much higher than the demand from the operators, and the arrival rate is usually only affected by low visibility and again even during snow is usually higher than demand. ATFCM delays generally only cause any real issues when Heathrow is operating all flights, which doesn't happen during snow, there are always a few operators that cancel a few flights.

So in short, during most snow days at LHR, except during the absolute heaviest snow, the airport can provide sufficient capacity to run BAs operation. What slows things down is de-icing. Every airline arranges their de-icing, mostly done by their handling agent. At LHR BA does it all themselves, they de-ice their own aircraft and do all their own ground handling. HAL and NATS have developed areas and procedures for de-icing both on-stand and remotely. All BA has to do is provide the staff and the de-icing equipment. They have made the commercial decision to only provide a fraction of the de-ice capability they would require to run their entire operation.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Airprox
Not this again.

Again, nothing to do with "slots". BA chooses not to provide enough de-icing capability.

HAL are to blame if they do not clear the manoeuvring area of contamination, but they have bought a huge amount of clearing equipment in the last 5 years or so. It's rare that it snows heavily and consistently enough in the UK that they cannot keep up, although this used to be a big problem in the past.

NATS generally have no need to implement any ATFCM measures during snow as the departure rate available is much higher than the demand from the operators, and the arrival rate is usually only affected by low visibility and again even during snow is usually higher than demand. ATFCM delays generally only cause any real issues when Heathrow is operating all flights, which doesn't happen during snow, there are always a few operators that cancel a few flights.

So in short, during most snow days at LHR, except during the absolute heaviest snow, the airport can provide sufficient capacity to run BAs operation. What slows things down is de-icing. Every airline arranges their de-icing, mostly done by their handling agent. At LHR BA does it all themselves, they de-ice their own aircraft and do all their own ground handling. HAL and NATS have developed areas and procedures for de-icing both on-stand and remotely. All BA has to do is provide the staff and the de-icing equipment. They have made the commercial decision to only provide a fraction of the de-ice capability they would require to run their entire operation.
Delays caused by lack of ground facilities result in delayed departures, which result in...you guessed it, slots.

You might has mis-interpreted my original post, I'm not talking about wave 1 European, I'm talking about operations throughout the day. Wave 1 flights tend to get delayed rather than cancelled in these scenarios, it's the inbound planes that suffer the most. I'm well aware of how de-icing procedures work and agree with you that BA go about it in a strange way.....

Last edited by All She Wrote; Feb 22, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:47 pm

Delays caused by lack of ground facilities result in delayed departures, which result in...you guessed it, slots.
Well you might be guessing, but your guess is not relevant to the context of BA provision of de-icing capability. A flight is not necessarily any more likely to receive a CTOT for downstream reasons whether it operates on time or is delayed. Departure airport capacity restrictions do not generally cause CTOTs.
Pelu likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Airprox
Departure airport capacity restrictions do not generally cause CTOTs.
It can cause CTOTs for inbound Aircraft prior to departure, quite common for EU flights actually, had it many times myself. Not really guessing I'm afraid!
simonrp84 likes this.

Last edited by All She Wrote; Feb 23, 2018 at 2:41 am
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Snow for Friday week.....

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/ch...ype.png?cb=728

"Early guidance forewarning of next weeks weather was issued earlier on, and this has been further enhanced with extended outlooks in bulletins. Public agencies and major private infrastructure will begin a daily briefing cycle as of tomorrow" Source: Met Office insider
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

.Why didn't you book Easyjet in the first place?
Fitch, Crampedin13A and cjb666 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC
So based upon what happened on Monday 5th Feb when there was the last threat-of-a-snowflake-no-snow-fell-but-they-cancelled-a-load-of-flights event, they will cancel a random selection of flights the evening before, ask you to go to MMB, where it cheats you into thinking you can accept the automatic reassiged flight and/or make some changes that better suit you - but in reality you can't as it errors at the final stage of the process; you then try to call BA and don't get an answer within any reasonable length of time, and then a some random period of time later you get a text confirming your reassignment onto a completely different flight from the first one that was suggested but now you might have an hope that MMB will actually do something useful. Whether you will now get a seat on a flight that is vaguely useful to you or your travel plans will now be in vain is anyones guess.

FTers are never bitter or twisted, but we just tell it like it is...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by plunet
So based upon what happened on Monday 5th Feb when there was the last threat-of-a-snowflake-no-snow-fell-but-they-cancelled-a-load-of-flights event
Quite often when there's a threat of bad weather the airport authority will request it's operating airlines to reduce their schedule by a certain %. I'm not sure if this is what happened at Heathrow on this occasion but it fits the book.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:27 am

Quite often when there's a threat of bad weather the airport authority will request it's operating airlines to reduce their schedule by a certain %. I'm not sure if this is what happened at Heathrow on this occasion but it fits the book.
Heathrow never mandates a reduction in the flying programme. There is a collaborative decision making process involving the based airlines and big 3 non-based groups to potentially reduce flights when it is expected that the aerodrome and/or TMA will not be able to provide the capacity required, but this is due to extended LVPs or adverse weather in and around the TMA. France has a well established and regularly used process to implement a mandatory reduction in flights by a certain percentage, whether that be at specific airports or in the enroute environment. This is to reduce the amount of delay attributed to them for the year and help them meet their RP1/RP2 targets.

What happened on the occasion mentioned by plunet is that there was a forecast for morning frost followed by about 4 hours of wintery precipitation in the late morning/early afternoon. Not exactly unusual for Jan/Feb. There was no requirement from HAL or NATS for any reduction in the flying programme as they expected to be able to provide the standard AFR for the whole day. BA however cancelled almost all short haul flying between 10am and about 2pm, in anticipation of needing to provide de-icing for the first wave for the overnighting aircraft and the later flights for the forecast precipitation.
KARFA and plunet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.