Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think that.. [Snow forecast]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
Heathrow never mandates a reduction in the flying programme.

Interesting

France has a well established and regularly used process to implement a mandatory reduction in flights by a certain percentage, whether that be at specific airports or in the enroute environment. This is to reduce the amount of delay attributed to them for the year and help them meet their RP1/RP2 targets.

They do indeed, I fly out of Paris we've had a few reductions in the past couple of weeks. One occasion we had around 4-6 inches of snow, on the most recent occasion there was snow forecast but nothing came, I didn't even have to ask for de-icing

Edit - One other question since I'm intrigued as to how different it works in the UK now

- Heathrow never mandates a reduction in the flying programme.
- There was no requirement from HAL or NATS for any reduction in the flying programme
Does this mean HAL can liaise with the airline and request that they reduce their flying program, but they can't actually mandate it? They can only give recommendations?

Last edited by All She Wrote; Feb 23, 2018 at 1:44 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:03 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
There's nothing an airline can do about slot restrictions imposed due to weather
Except when slot restrictions have to be imposed due to BA's own incompetence. Such as the event on 10/11December. BA wasn't prepared to enable de-icing of its aircraft, so capacity had to be restricted to avoid Heathrow grinding to a complete halt. On top of that BA's crewing systems got completely out of sync because they are clearly not fit for purpose (meaning crew were available for flights, aircraft were available for flights, but BA couldn't match the two together). But of course BA doesn't admit to any of this and just claims it was due to adverse weather to avoid paying any compensation.

So there's a heck of a lot that an airline can do.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gms
Except when slot restrictions have to be imposed due to BA's own incompetence. Such as the event on 10/11December. BA wasn't prepared to enable de-icing of its aircraft, so capacity had to be restricted to avoid Heathrow grinding to a complete halt. On top of that BA's crewing systems got completely out of sync because they are clearly not fit for purpose (meaning crew were available for flights, aircraft were available for flights, but BA couldn't match the two together). But of course BA doesn't admit to any of this and just claims it was due to adverse weather to avoid paying any compensation.

So there's a heck of a lot that an airline can do.
I absolutely agree in that circumstance. I'm not one that will walk around and blindly say BA do a good job on everything, when things go South with BA they tend to do so very quickly. I wonder what the cost to them would be to implement a procedure where A/C are de-iced prior to crew arrival on S/H wave 1 automatically if overnight has had precip & sub 0 temperatures. It's a system used in other countries and one that is very effective. Especially with the type 4 holdover times being so long. I'm not familiar with the fluid types and step procedures used at LHR, I'm sure Airprox will be along shortly to let us all know
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
.Why didn't you book Easyjet in the first place?
Three reasons. Gatwick, Luton and a 6am start. Both are a pita to get into London and 6am is not my style.

Having said that, we jumped on an Easy when BA screwed it all up in December and 1. It flew, 2. It was on time and 3. It was actually a very good inflight experience .

Forecast is now even worse for next Thursday - already anticipating BA will just cancel their ABZ offering, and not answer the phone
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
How do they cope with snow at LCY ? I am booked onto a flight back into LCY on Monday. The aircraft would have to fly out of LCY at 9.00AM in order to arrive at my departure point ... In the past the planes have tended to have just arrived in from EDI or GLA and then makd a quick turnaround before the 9.00 AM flight out. I am fearing the worst !
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
How do they cope with snow at LCY ? I am booked onto a flight back into LCY on Monday. The aircraft would have to fly out of LCY at 9.00AM in order to arrive at my departure point ... In the past the planes have tended to have just arrived in from EDI or GLA and then makd a quick turnaround before the 9.00 AM flight out. I am fearing the worst !
T8191 and Worcester like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:41 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I want one of those snow movers.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Word has it they built the river Thames in London for the snow to be pushed into
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
So they've improved since I was stuck there in 2010 (ish?). Then it was one single bloke on a ladder with a broom, sweeping about 4 inches of snow off a plane's wings. 'This is going to take some time', I thought, looking out at about 6 other planes parked and similarly snow-laden.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Monday morning should be OK shouldn't it? I read it as snow arriving Monday night. I have an interest as I'm flying out of LHR on Tues AM...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
LHR-ARN B2B Tuesday then BA269 to LAX Wednesday. My last flight was December 10th and the last Snowmageddon.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Vaguely on topic, my BE JER-LCY had a quick de-ice yesterday. Ten minute delay, no biggie.

Monday could be interesting though. Red-eye from JER to LGW with BA, with temperatures plummeting, and then l/h to somewhere WARM. If we lose another day’s holiday in Jamaica we will be SERIOUSLY annoyed ... EU261 won’t apply and we will be many £££ down the tubes.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Should maybe maybe learn some lessons from the Russians. Early pushback, prolonged de-icing due to a snow covered aircraft and an on time arrival.

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Should maybe maybe learn some lessons from the Russians.
Russia Saratov crash: Ice on sensors 'may be cause' - BBC News

I'll take a delay.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Should maybe maybe learn some lessons from the Russians. Early pushback, prolonged de-icing due to a snow covered aircraft and an on time arrival.
And that's going to be reasonable because London is in Russia, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.