p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Why You shouldn't book on Avios.com....

We have redemption return flights LHR-MUC-LHR over April Break

BA decided cancel return flight BA951 MUC-LHR on 15 April
and now fun begin
avios didn't inform us about cancellation ( I wonder then exactly BA cancelled flight) I found out yesterday evening because our friends are on the same flight and they book with BA cash....
Avios phone line only 8am-8pm so I couldn't do anything yesterday
now our options are (4pax)
1.move to 7.20 am - sorry but we will be at YYZ-MUC and arrive 7.45am
flight 10.25 only 1 seat in economy (4 in J, but we cannot use more avios to upgrade....)
another 2 flights the same situation
2. take flight from FRA - taxi cost on our own
3. flight next day (2kids missing 1 day at school and holtel cost on us)

so not so good for us, avios have department to notify about flight cancellation with backlog ....so they will inform us about cancellation in few days...maybe
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:21 am
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

whats the worst I did everything what I should
we arrive from YYZ at 7.25 so 12.40 flight on points was good choose
but who know that BA will cancel flight
a320 on 10.25
a319 on 16.25

they should send bigger planes to cover cancellation
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you have travel insurance?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 am
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
Do you have travel insurance?
yes I have, AMEX PLAST, AMEX BA BLACK and seperate amex travel insurance for family
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by p78
yes I have, AMEX PLAST, AMEX BA BLACK and seperate amex travel insurance for family
Then they should be able to offer cover in these circumstances. I would give them a call and explain the situation.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by p78
Lesson to learn from this for next time,, transfer your Avios from Avios to a BAEC account using combine my Avios then book directly with BA. As BA have cancelled your flight, you are stuck with what is effectively a travel agent booking with Avios as the travel agent. If it were me, I would push them to ask BA to open more Y seats on a later flight for you. This is a reasonable request, and BA may well do so if an agent at Avios persists. Good luck.
DanAirLondon and Roger like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by p78
We have redemption return flights LHR-MUC-LHR over April Break

...will be at YYZ-MUC and arrive 7.45am
So the LON-MUC is a positioning flight for ex-EU returning from YYZ? Doesn't massively matter, just trying to understand context.

From a rushed look at Expert Flyer:
- BA683 SZG-LHR 17:15
- BA2691 INN-LGW 13:00
- BA 921 STR-LHR 19:10

have 4Y available on 15 April.

Quicj caution though - I jumped on rearranging our lfights when service was cancelled but it reappeaed a little later with different operator.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:57 am

wow - very surprisingly they've cancelled anything with those loads at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see that A319 become an A320 at some point

Lufthansa has some reasonably priced options (esp in the afternoon) - maybe Amex would cover this?
ringingup likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Since it's the 15 April, a lot can and will change between now and then. Right now there are very few ET seats available on flights from MUC apart from the 07:20 service. My suspicion is that ET is overbooked, but there is some leeway on CE and therefore this could change between now and departure. So it may be a case of being patient and seeing what happens, it's indeed possible an A321 will get put on the other services.

What BA / Avios could do is offer the indirect service via DUB, so Aer Lingus to DUB at 11:25 and then various options for getting to London from there. Now on BA that should have been offered, not sure on Avios, but it may be a case of asking them for specifically that, if getting something book right now is important.

The taxi at cost issue: well legally Avios or the Operating Carrier should cover the costs of using another airport in order to maintain the same day connection (though the EC261 thread is the better place to consider the implications, it's not entirely clear-cut). BA can reasonably ask you to take a train rather than a taxi and in the case of Germany that's going to be faster and safer than a taxi.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:03 am
p78
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
Lesson to learn from this for next time,, transfer your Avios from Avios to a BAEC account using combine my Avios then book directly with BA. As BA have cancelled your flight, you are stuck with what is effectively a travel agent booking with Avios as the travel agent. If it were me, I would push them to ask BA to open more Y seats on a later flight for you. This is a reasonable request, and BA may well do so if an agent at Avios persists. Good luck.
I pushed them to contact BA to find solution but they declined to try , they said what they also ansfers BA silver , bronze line.....

I contacted AMEX TRAVEL and the have 70 per pax for delay over 6hours, so we will take next day service and cover cost with insurance for hotel and food

Yes this is reason for my post always transfer points to BAEC don't book on avios.....
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by p78
I pushed them to contact BA to find solution but they declined to try , they said what they also ansfers BA silver , bronze line.....

I contacted AMEX TRAVEL and the have 70 per pax for delay over 6hours, so we will take next day service and cover cost with insurance for hotel and food

Yes this is reason for my post always transfer points to BAEC don't book on avios.....
Sounds like Avios are being troublesome. Under EU261/2004 you are not due any compensation because more than 14 days notice was given, but you are entitled to rebooking under "Comparable conditions". This is an EU carrier for a flight within the EU. I would now get nasty with Avios and remind them of their obligations, and if they dont rebook you then make your own arrangements and mcol for the money back.

You may wish to do a bit of homework on the regulation first.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by p78

I think you may have been misinformed.

The platinum card offers £300 (for delays of more than 4 hours) per insured passenger and the BAPP offers £200. The amounts are cumulative, as in you could claim up to £500 per passenger.

Family and children are covered by these insurances.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by ringingup
The platinum card offers £300 (for delays of more than 4 hours) per insured passenger and the BAPP offers £200. The amounts are cumulative, as in you could claim up to £500 per passenger.

Family and children are covered by these insurances.
I just checked the BAPP policy documents, the £200 is shared between all the travellers so in effect a £200 claim for 4 passengers is £50 per passenger.
Also, this seems to be a reimbursement for costs, not a straight £200 in your pocket.
(I haven’t checked the Platinum policy.)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst

I just checked the BAPP policy documents, the £200 is shared between all the travellers so in effect a £200 claim for 4 passengers is £50 per passenger.
Also, this seems to be a reimbursement for costs, not a straight £200 in your pocket.
(I haven’t checked the Platinum policy.)
Sorry, you're right. It is shared for the BAPP card.

For the Platinum Card is per insured person, the definition of which is

Worldwide Travel Insurance provides cover for the Cardmember and supplementary Cardmembers, their respective partners and dependent children under the age of 25 (an “Insured Person”), whether travelling together or travelling alone on business and leisure trips of up to 90 days. The insurance also covers grandchildren of the Cardmember and supplementary Cardmembers under the age of 25 when travelling with an Insured Person.
In both cases, it is a reimbursement cost. But it can cover the cost of travel.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I thought amex platinum does not cover reward flights or it's different for the UK version?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.