Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Perseverance pays off – thank you BA!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
My Perseverance pays off – thank you BA!

As part of an upcoming trip to South Africa and Namibia, using BA and Comair I was also ticketed by BA on Air Namibia SW707 WDH (Windhoek) to CPT (Cape Town). Since making the booking BA advised me that the SW707 had been cancelled and I was now booked on the SW715 which goes from WDH to CPT but via WVB (Walvis Bay). As it happens on the night before the flight I will be in Swakopmund, over three hours from Windhoek, but about thirty minutes from Walvis Bay. I thought it would be straightforward enough to change the booking from WDH:CPT to WVB:CPT and indeed when I first called BA I was told it would be OK. When I actually made the call to confirm the change things became complicated. The initial response of “that will not be possible” changed to “it is possible but there would be a Ł300 penalty per passenger”. I questioned the penalty as the change request was driven by the fact my original flight had been cancelled and the new flight timings were not good for me – OK stretching the truth a bit. In the end I asked to speak to a “supervisor” and when I explained the situation to her she said she would investigate and call be back (I had been talking on the phone for nearly and hour at this point). Sure enough she did call back and the change has been made as an “invol issue”.

Anybody have any details of the lounges at WVB? Ha!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I think the airport is best described as a shed, set your lounge expectations accordingly...

Air Namibia is pretty decent. Would not hesitate to fly them again.

Enjoy Namibia - It's a fascinating place. If you're driving around make sure your spare tire is loaded - ideally ask for a second one. The roads are an experience in itself, and it is not a place where you want to get stranded.
johnaalex and ubiest like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I think the airport is best described as a shed, set your lounge expectations accordingly...
In all fairness, they did recently replace the old shed with a new shed.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

WVB is sort of amazing. I flew in on SA Express from CPT last month, and as the aircraft approached the airport, it felt a bit like it must to land on the moon. We were the only aircraft on the ground. No airbridges of course, and the baggage belts didn't work - cases were delivered to the baggage hall on the back of a pickup truck.

Namibia was one of my best holidays yet - so worthwhile. Enjoy!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

I was there recently. No lounge, but the airport and its cafe were fine, and Air Namibia flights excellent. Comfortable, great service and catering. Shames most European carriers...

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Anybody have any details of the lounges at WVB? Ha!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Must admit I am looking forward to my departure from WVB as a nice change to the crowds at the major airports I normally frequent.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:15 am

Unrelated to the topic on flight changes, I would highly recommend cape fur seal kayaking while in Walvis Bay. I would highly recommend Eco Marine Tours. Where are you booked to stay in Swakopmund? The Strand is a fantastic place and the food is excellent especially if you are coming out of the Namib desert. I loved Namibia and would look to do another self drive safari there soon.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HereToHelp
Unrelated to the topic on flight changes, I would highly recommend cape fur seal kayaking while in Walvis Bay. I would highly recommend Eco Marine Tours. Where are you booked to stay in Swakopmund? The Strand is a fantastic place and the food is excellent especially if you are coming out of the Namib desert. I loved Namibia and would look to do another self drive safari there soon.
Thanks for the tips, we're staying at the Swakopmund Hotel.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by makin'miles
WVB is sort of amazing. I flew in on SA Express from CPT last month, and as the aircraft approached the airport, it felt a bit like it must to land on the moon. We were the only aircraft on the ground. No airbridges of course, and the baggage belts didn't work - cases were delivered to the baggage hall on the back of a pickup truck.

Namibia was one of my best holidays yet - so worthwhile. Enjoy!
I agree Namibia is often overlooked, however it is a fantastic destination to visit within Africa. Uganda is also up there in my fav list.
johnaalex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.