CE restricted to 7 rows

Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There would be no more reason for someone to be downgraded than on any other flight with a fixed sized cabin
Why?

Currently if there's a long haul delayed, people can be accommodated on a later flight in CE that has its seating expanded to accommodate these new passengers. In the new world, if these 7 rows are taken then they will be accommodated in ET.

Similarly, if a short haul flight is cancelled and passengers moved to the next flight, lack of flexibility will increase the downgrade potential.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Why?

Currently if there's a long haul delayed, people can be accommodated on a later flight in CE that has its seating expanded to accommodate these new passengers. In the new world, if these 7 rows are taken then they will be accommodated in ET.

Similarly, if a short haul flight is cancelled and passengers moved to the next flight, lack of flexibility will increase the downgrade potential.
I guess Dave meant compared to other short-haul airlines that have a fixed-sized business section. I don't agree with that either though, as the comment implies BA could implement something and instantly be as competent with it as other airlines are with their already-existing procedures. Such as BoB.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC
The table is genuinely convenient and helpful - you can have a drink or snack without blocking your knee area. Losing it to save a few grams of weight is so very petty.
dcmike, layz, bafan and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by acf2310
The table is genuinely convenient and helpful - you can have a drink or snack without blocking your knee area. Losing it to save a few grams of weight is so very petty.
I agree. Does AF still have tables in the middle? I know Lufthansa got rid of their tables when they got the slimline seats.

BA never traditionally had the table, when they had the convertible seats the middle seat was kept free without the table. I was surprised (but happy) that BA decided to introduce the tables when they rolled out the new seats.

It might just be a small thing, but the benefit of Club Europe is a collection of small things, there's no big reason to book it.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by layz
I agree. Does AF still have tables in the middle? I know Lufthansa got rid of their tables when they got the slimline seats.

BA never traditionally had the table, when they had the convertible seats the middle seat was kept free without the table. I was surprised (but happy) that BA decided to introduce the tables when they rolled out the new seats.

It might just be a small thing, but the benefit of Club Europe is a collection of small things, there's no big reason to book it.
I agree, its always the smallest details that can the biggest impact. Like the salt & pepper shakers in the new CW catering! If you went to the Ivy restaurant and they put little paper packets of salt & pepper (because its cheaper and easier) Id be baffled to say the least!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
So the table is going which was the only great thing about CE seating. BA are having mini galleys and little to no space for food. Duty free is going. Seat pitch is reduced and there will be 2 seat types on the aircraft. I understand not everyone will have access to air vents. And we all know BoB won't be enough on a hungry full flight. But no worries, BA is still a premium airline. Lol
Dave_C, hugolover, bafan and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by layz

On my last four AF flights LHR/CDG in 2017 there were no tables, just the empty seat.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:28 am

May 2019

On our flight from LHR to LCA onboard one of the new A321 Neos they had 12 rows of CE packed onboard - whilst there was enough food for passengers (it was breakfast service) the staff were stressed as they ran out of soft drinks mid flight. They also kept drawing the curtain back making CE passengers wait up to 15 minutes whilst the crew turn-by-turn used the only toilet at the front of the plane (after eating a couple of passengers breakfasts that they had declined during food service).

I was also under the impression that the Neos had non-reclining seats (something I was looking forward to!) but alas, I think because they have the older Pinnacle seats in CE - the recline option is still there.

Since the loss of the wardrobe a couple of years ago on A320 Gatwick Fleet (and then no-one wanting to choose seats 1A and 1C because of no bulkhead and people loitering to use the WC) the offering onboard has taken a nose-dive. Ultimately though, BA have an advantage in that they are the incumbent for a full service short-haul product.

Going back home today on one of the Heathrow A320s - looking forward to having the middle tray, additional catering storage and bulkhead back!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Mayhew
On our flight from LHR to LCA onboard one of the new A321 Neos they had 12 rows of CE packed onboard - whilst there was enough food for passengers (it was breakfast service) the staff were stressed as they ran out of soft drinks mid flight. They also kept drawing the curtain back making CE passengers wait up to 15 minutes whilst the crew turn-by-turn used the only toilet at the front of the plane (after eating a couple of passengers breakfasts that they had declined during food service).

I was also under the impression that the Neos had non-reclining seats (something I was looking forward to!) but alas, I think because they have the older Pinnacle seats in CE - the recline option is still there.

Since the loss of the wardrobe a couple of years ago on A320 Gatwick Fleet (and then no-one wanting to choose seats 1A and 1C because of no bulkhead and people loitering to use the WC) the offering onboard has taken a nose-dive. Ultimately though, BA have an advantage in that they are the incumbent for a full service short-haul product.

Going back home today on one of the Heathrow A320s - looking forward to having the middle tray, additional catering storage and bulkhead back!
Thanks for reporting your experience.

When you mean by no wardrobe in front of row 1ABC, do you mean the new Neo fleet as well? Also when you mention " looking forward to having bulkhead back!" do you mean also that row 1DEF on Neo's doesn't have decent legroom similar to the old fleet. This information would be really useful for the community.
Also, I don't know why but the first 12 rows on A320neo's and xx rows on A321neo's ( don't know the exact number ) are still Pinnacle seats, that I find really strange on a Euro-J configured aircraft. TK used to have different seats on the first 5 rows of their 737-800's back in the 2000s even though they were all Euro-J.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Really? My husband likes that seat as he has long legs and one can recline their seat on to them. As for the crowding, I have asked the crew before now to do something about it if they are not CE passengers. As for the " offering" I have no idea what you mean unless what you are offered to eat or drink and I actually like most of both.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks for reporting your experience.

When you mean by no wardrobe in front of row 1ABC, do you mean the new Neo fleet as well? Also when you mention " looking forward to having bulkhead back!" do you mean also that row 1DEF on Neo's doesn't have decent legroom similar to the old fleet. This information would be really useful for the community.
Also, I don't know why but the first 12 rows on A320neo's and xx rows on A321neo's ( don't know the exact number ) are still Pinnacle seats, that I find really strange on a Euro-J configured aircraft. TK used to have different seats on the first 5 rows of their 737-800's back in the 2000s even though they were all Euro-J.
The A321 Neo did have a bulkhead at the front of 1A-C but it doesnt have the tray table attached like the old A320 (instead it is in the armrest, meaning you cant push it back whilst in use to get out of the row).

On the A321 Neos its the first 14 rows of Pinnacle seats, with the rest Ricaro.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Really? My husband likes that seat as he has long legs and one can recline their seat on to them. As for the crowding, I have asked the crew before now to do something about it if they are not CE passengers. As for the " offering" I have no idea what you mean unless what you are offered to eat or drink and I actually like most of both.
Thats good to hear - in my experience when checking-in online 1A and 1C are always available (possibly because people dont like the new configuration). Thats good news for your husband though
Old May 9, 2019, 4:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Thats good to hear - in my experience when checking-in online 1A and 1C are always available (possibly because people dont like the new configuration). Thats good news for your husband though
Guy, the experts here will confirm or refute what i say, but that configuration out of Gatwick has been around for quite a while. BA got hold of some poor knackered old A320s from Wizz or something. Instead, they tarted it up and sent it off to plough through the skies of Europe. That tray n the middle was an idea that originated at BMI. Thus, LGW which had operated a fleet of vintage 737s was once again the Cinderella fleet getting all the old rubbish no one wanted any more. Thus there is no IFE ( the only thing worth watching according to Him Indoors was the moving map), no garment locker to name but two items.

The one excellent thing that we are all spared is the interminable, tedious, and cringe worthy Safety Demo. We miss seeing all the Lovies, National Treasures (God Help US) and Wanabees talking each other up and the one decent actress amongst them looking like she had just got up that morning and was off to the Laundrette. As a very good friend puts it, you concentrate less on the what's what in favour of the Who's Who. No, there are platinum linings in every cloud.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
one decent actress amongst them looking like she had just got up that morning and was off to the Laundrette
that made me laugh 😂 - it cant be any worse than the awful Emirates video with that lame card trick up the window shade!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Ive had a few 12 row CEs last few weeks and have another one to FAO coming up. Find service variable - last week to FCO it was total chaos in the cabin, we were in row 6 and got food before drinks (which I didnt think was standard on a band 3) and got first drink after I finished eating. Took 1 hour 30 mins to complete the first run. Returning it was 12 rows and the crew couldnt have been better - slick , fast , very friendly , regular top ups and seemed to follow correct band 3 routine of drinks , then food then top ups !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.