Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE restricted to 7 rows

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Loss of the centre table would be tragic. That’s a big bonus so you don’t have to have the fold down table in your lap the whole time.
One of the aspects I like about AA, both l/h and s/h ... even in Domestic F (aka Business) there’s always a little pull-out tray somewhere for your beverage ... and sometimes 2, IIRC.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
The A320 neos will have the current Pinnacle seats from row 1-12 (A321 neos will be 1-14) minus the centre console table. EasyJet style deckchairs will be fitted behind them. A320 /1 ceos will also have the centre console tables progressively removed to save weight. Club for short and medium routes will be able to go up to row 12/14. Long routes will have a cap of 7 rows as the new mini galleys won't be able to accommodate the current Club product (you might have thought that they'd thought about this earlier!). Currently the recently introduced Club product is being 'reviewed', apparently to be relaunched in April (according to galley FM, and we all know how reliable that is!). The first A320 neo is supposed to arrive in a couple of months, but this is also under review. The first A321 neo will come in August and feature Airbus' new ACF layout with main doors forward and aft, overwing exits (1 each side) and smaller doors (as now) behind the wings. The first A321 ceo is currently being 'densified' and space flexed in Prestwick as we speak and will be on line soon.
That's for the detail. I haven't 'liked' your post as there isn't much to like about the content!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
as others have said, I really don't think that this is that big a deal given it's only temporary. not THAT many flights have CE exceeding 7 rows (remember, it has all sorts of other impacts like extra crew etc for BA). yes, some peak services *may* (this is only 1 a/c type though!) see some restrictions but it's not like CE was always going to be as big as possible - there've always been constraints.

i think it will be interesting to see what impact is on POUG and potential prices - but as said, most CE cabins I have flown in weren't bigger than 7 rows.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by florens
My bolding. This is a true shame as I really like that table.

That's what? 2 x 12 rows à 200gr table? ~ 5kgs? Really?!

Working in CE will become impossible if you want to have a drink at the same time. A shame!
THIS is the real news here.

It will be genuinely cheaper to buy two Y seats and a sandwich plus a drink from Pret.

Premium, huh?
710 77345, ahmetdouas and Pelu like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
One of the aspects I like about AA, both l/h and s/h ... even in Domestic F (aka Business) there’s always a little pull-out tray somewhere for your beverage ... and sometimes 2, IIRC.

While a bit of a wander on topic, but relevent I suppose, would be BA finding their sweetspot for CE and becoming a leader in their market by turning the CE hardproduct into something akin to the AA domestic F. Keep the CE branding, but make it a compelling product.

That won’t happen, but it there is an argument where this temporary solution could open the door for a truly innovative product that sets them apart. Put in a nice seat with decent pitch, pullout drink holder/table, and there you go. They would have to find the hard line on number of rows, but in theory it could be done. It’s highly unlikely, as it’s a topic much discussed, but it certainly would make them a leading choice instead of an also-ran.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Seems like it's going to be ET+ than CE...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Loss of the centre table would be tragic. That’s a big bonus so you don’t have to have the fold down table in your lap the whole time.
I agree. The ability to lift the armrest in order to gain an additional inch of seat width is valuable to me, as it allow me to rotate my legs just enough to avoid knee crunching. If the consul goes, I lose the ability to rest both arms.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Isn't always a good idea for people to write articles based on rumour (7 rows).

The table on the other hand.....
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
IF they remove the middle table the value of a Business class product surely diminishes even further than it had, to the point where I start to question why it is called Business class (in BA’s terms CE), is there not a point when it isn’t business class anymore and is misleading advertising? I’m no expert in product advertisement or product naming but it must be bordering on a grey area?! I strictly mean onboard product.

I would like to say, I look forward to seeing how this all unravels but I fear it’s another turn for the worse. Prove me wrong. Especially if there is an impact on POUGs and CE fares. This cabin really helped me retain Silver.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally I was looking forward to the re-re launch of CE, I thought BA had genuinely listened to passengers, it seems I should have known better. I wonder how many years it’s going to take before BA basically just replicate SAS’s short haul premium offering by making their own Euro Plus, free drink and choice from the BoB menu, but no blocked middle seat and no cabin dividers.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Isn't the answer to densify the CE catering? 1/4 trays? You have 'sharing tables' at some fancy restaurants so maybe CE catering could be 1 between 2? Half a pannini cut in half? If you cut it in half you can fit in twice as many.

dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird92A
Originally I was looking forward to the re-re launch of CE, I thought BA had genuinely listened to passengers, it seems I should have known better. I wonder how many years it’s going to take before BA basically just replicate SAS’s short haul premium offering by making their own Euro Plus, free drink and choice from the BoB menu, but no blocked middle seat and no cabin dividers.
I have to say that I see this coming as well. It'll speed up the delivery of BoB too, and free up cabin crew.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
It would seem that if BA notice a significant drop in revenue on the longer sectors owing to a seven row limit, but can't find space for any more catering, one option might be to onboard catering downroute.

I understand this isn't done currently (beyond maybe just ice or a couple of routes), but even switching out a bar trolley or two on a few routes might be enough to extend CE by a couple of rows.
They could also load return catering into the hold and simply get that brought up on turnaround. BMI used to do that on mid haul routes. However, it comes at a cost, and because cost cutting is in the DNA it's not viable. This slavish focus on price above all else (illustrated in another context this week by KFC running out of chicken) is a fad. It'll change over time.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

I have to say that I see this coming as well. It'll speed up the delivery of BoB too, and free up cabin crew.
everything about what this thread suggests is so idiotic you just know these are all actually BA ideas.

It’s like they re run by people who have never take a flight. Lose the middle table and mess up what’s left of the catering then with crossrail from next year they re toast. The product is such a mess and so confused and so stuck in permanent relaunches easyJet just have to sit back and watch the punters roll in.

Of course, no doubt we’ll all get more densified emails insisting it’s premium and always will be. Reality is same old lipstick, same old pig.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Isn't the answer to densify the CE catering? 1/4 trays? You have 'sharing tables' at some fancy restaurants so maybe CE catering could be 1 between 2? Half a pannini cut in half? If you cut it in half you can fit in twice as many.

How many prawns will we each get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.