Wiki Posts
Search

T5 Landside dining options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
T5 Landside dining options

We (myself, wife and 2yr old) will be arriving from domestic flight into T5 for an overnight stop before continuing onto JFK the following morning. We are staying at the Sofitel, as we have done once before. Last time we dined at Vivre in the Sofitel which did the job but I thought was eye wateringly expensive for average food.

Am I right in thinking the only landside T5 dining option is Carluccios?

Looking on a map I can see there is a pub not too far away, The King's Arms. What is access to this like via either bus or on foot? (note we will have a pushchair). Or are there any other nearby options?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That pub, and the White Horse is on the free 423 bus route to and from LHR. You could walk it, but there is a narrow bridge over the Duke of Northumberland's River and there is a strange "no pedestrians" sign on each end. However I doubt enforcement is going to happen. However if you were minded to use these places you may as well stay at The Thistle, which is on the Parking Pod system.

Another option, if you are into Thai food, is the Punch Bowl in Poyle. A group of elderly Thai ladies do the food in the pub kitchen (Bong Thai is the marketing name) and it's both cheap and very tasty. You can get there by bus (not free) or Uber.

In the airport itself there is also the Giraffe in Arrivals, which has a limited food menu but child friendly, and of course you can get yourself quite a hamper of things from the branch of Marks and Spencer in Arrivals.
HIDDY, UTFB and memesweeper like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The Ostrich in Colnbrook is nice - well at least it was when I worked in Poyle. If not too late grab an Uber - or a bus if this is an option? But then the transport time and cost could negate the saving
UTFB likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
There is a take away fish and chip shop and next door to it a curry house in colnbrook, just a few minutes walk from the holiday inn t5. Again free 423 or 7 bus to Longford village and then the 81 bus back the way you came. Same as for the punch bowl (which I consider to be on Poyle Road in Colnbrook rather than in Poyle )

there is a Mcdonalds at the end of Longford village 423,7 or even the 350

various other eating options on the bath road
UTFB likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
There is an Italian restaurant - La Bettola - in Colnbrook which is decent food and family friendly - I have eaten here when staying at the Hilton T5.
UTFB likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Will the Five Tuns be re-opening in T5 arrivals soon?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for all the helpful advice - the M&S completely slipped my mind, we may just do that, and / or nip into the Club Millesime Lounge for a bit. I do like the sound of jumping on the 423 to either the White Horse / King's Arms. I guess we will see what time we land and how the little one is doing!

Will be eating lightly anyway as looking forward to a CCR breakfast the next day!

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Gomac
Will the Five Tuns be re-opening in T5 arrivals soon?
It will eventually re-open as The George, not sure when though.

Is the Five Tuns still open
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
You can also easily do the other terminals landside options
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
There is a landside Wetherspoons in T2 and a whole host of eateries in T3 as well and of course you get free inter terminal transfers on the Heathrow Express or Tube if you each have an Oyster card or a contactless card.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Airprox
It will eventually re-open as The George, not sure when though.

Is the Five Tuns still open
According to my Heathrow Rewards offers there's double points at The George from the 23 Feb, so I'm guessing that's the day it's supposed to open.

On the topic of Heathrow Rewards if you plan to eat in the airport it's worth signing up as you can transfer the rewards points to Avios or various other airlines or use for shopping vouchers.

If you know someone with a card, get them to refer you. If you don't know anyone who's already a member DM me your email address and I can send you a referral.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
there is a narrow bridge over the Duke of Northumberland's River and there is a strange "no pedestrians" sign on each end.
The bridge is not wide enough to accommodate a pavement; it's restricted to buses and bicycles only due to the danger of side swiping pedestrians.

I believe it was originally constructed to provide an access route for construction traffic into the T5 site and was only ever meant to be temporary.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I've eaten several times at Carluccio's in T5, quite good food at very reasonable prices (even after the usual painful GBP->USD conversion). It's family friendly too, I was eating there with a friend and her 3 year old.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
The number 8 bus from T5 (not free) can take you in 10 minutes, virtually non-stop, to Staines town centre.

Here you can find a wide range of eateries including the usual chains like Pizza Express/Hut, Ask, Prezzo, Nandos, Frankie and Benny etc. Also some good independent Indian restaurants, especially the Shahee Mahal and Roshini's.
The Thames Lodge and The Swan (across the bridge) offer river views.

(Yes, I live here. I swear the number 8 bus ride between T5 and Staines is shorter than to some of the airport hotels.)
smokie36 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Sofitel is great for location but as you said eye wateringly expensive for average food.

Personally id go on the Piccadilly Line to Hounslow or even into Chiswick area. Some rest restaurants and your not more than 15 minute tube ride away.
MichaelBaku likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.