Wiki Posts
Search

I like working in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

I’ve often seen a lot of confidential information in documents and on laptops when people work on them in airport lounges and on planes and trains and it’s not from the want of trying. We only need to refresh our minds with Flyertalks very own Printing and breakfast https://www.holidaypirates.com/fligh...ncl-bags_26071. My absolute pet hate though is the walker talkers in the lounge or people on the train trying to sound important. Most of them seem to want to go through their contact list saying what they are doing where they are off to and if they leave a number following a colleagues doing this I’ve texted that person asking them to talk a bit louder as we didn’t quite get all the details of xxx deal. That seems to shut them up pretty quickly.
You might want to update your link.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by madfish

You might want to update your link.
Done thank you.. am on my iPad so very clunky.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
8 hours counts for more than one working day?!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by manord
I'm curious - how many people have company security policies that place limitations on working on planes (or in lounges)?
The only risk entailed by anyone spying at my work over my shoulder is their dying of boredom I should hope!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by manord
Of course, those screen protectors might be argued to create a false sense of security - they don't work as well as people expect - and don't protect against viewing from all angles (eg from anyone behind you).
Yes, you're right, especially the person behind scenario. However they do have benefits -such as being able to post on FT right now while appearing to be at work in the office !
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JackDann
Flying domestically on American I get an awful lot of work done, but that is due to good, high quality wifi. I was able to do conference calls from the skies (Obviously without disrupting fellow passengers!).
As Calcas said - how do you know? Were you on a headset with a microphone? If not, my misease with the placing of Wifi on aircraft has now metamorphasised into outright hope that it never works.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I find the fact that I have no access to email and instant messaging means that the work I do on th
e plane is much more productive as I am not constantly being interrupted!
You and Sixy will probably be in Row 1 - same as me. I wonder if people would find it so easy to work in other rows as clearly they are much bigger than me. What I love in CE is having that space in between to put things, whilst recalling that it is shared space and not to be hogged by one person.

I used to do a lot of thesis work on my laptop when in my madness, and to prove that I was not just a pretty face (to some). Wifi and constant streaming in of emails and chatter would have driven me mad. The only emails I ever needed at that point were those from my Supervisor of my Research and Him Indoors to tell me what the state of play with washing machines, dishwashers, or what shopping I might do on the way home from Heathrow.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I am pleased to report that on my last three Club Europe flights together, each of which was in row 1, I achieved nearly six hours of actual productive work, building pricing models and writing reports for my customer. Then in the lounge before one of the flights I achieved another two hours of actual work. That is more than a full day of productivity. I have to say that I found it a really enjoyable way of spending the flight and it made the time go by extremely quickly.

And more than a day's worth of fees makes Club Europe look excellent value for money to boot. ^
Just curious, what is your point ? What's the specific attraction / benefit of working in Row 1 of BA Club Europe, compared to, say "I like working on the bus" or "I like working on the train" ? Not the in-seat power, nor the sparklingly quick Wi-Fi, that's for sure ....
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just curious, what is your point ? What's the specific attraction / benefit of working in Row 1 of BA Club Europe, compared to, say "I like working on the bus" or "I like working on the train" ? Not the in-seat power, nor the sparklingly quick Wi-Fi, that's for sure ....
Well, perhaps it’s that (shared with a possible stranger !) “space in between to put things” which dearest PUCCI tends to “love about CE”.

But hey ....... I’ve just come up with a long list of other things which makes CE such a great environment for working.

Here they are :
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

I’ve often seen a lot of confidential information in documents and on laptops when people work on them in airport lounges and on planes and trains and it’s not from the want of trying. We only need to refresh our minds with Flyertalks very own Some people have no manners

Printing and breakfast. . My absolute pet hate though is the walker talkers in the lounge or people on the train trying to sound important. Most of them seem to want to go through their contact list saying what they are doing where they are off to and if they leave a number following a colleagues doing this I’ve texted that person asking them to talk a bit louder as we didn’t quite get all the details of xxx deal. That seems to shut them up pretty quickly.

On an AA regional flight I was sitting in first row of Y and could not avoid overhearing a telephone call a person had in F. They were working for a well known HR consulting company. Discussion around hiring a new VP, with the company named. Apparently the current occupant of the role was not aware of the need for replacing him yet.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I was wondering the same. In fact unless in row 1, if you are trying to use a laptop it doesn't really matter if you are in row 2 or 22 - the seat pitch is the same. As for the lounge, nice, but you can often find a quiet corer of the airport to work in.

But for sure it all sounds splendid.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:05 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As Calcas said - how do you know? Were you on a headset with a microphone? If not, my misease with the placing of Wifi on aircraft has now metamorphasised into outright hope that it never works.
It wasn't a busy flight, Nobody around me.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by JackDann
I was able to do conference calls from the skies (Obviously without disrupting fellow passengers!)
Just curious to know how you ‘obviously’ knew you were not disrupting your fellow passengers, or was the cabin empty?

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by passy777

Just curious to know how you ‘obviously’ knew you were not disrupting your fellow passengers, or was the cabin empty?

Have a look at the post directly preceding yours.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Some
Assume this is part of the new BAEC board BA positivity initiative, but how unfortunate that this was posted just before we found out BA is probably removing the tables from CE, making it materially more difficult to work...
KeaneJohn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.