Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios 'Upgrade Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Lloyds Avios 'Upgrade Voucher

Just looking for any user experience with this voucher. My wife and I are planning on a visit to NA and looking to keep the initial flight costs down, i.e. taxes, surcharges.
We can start with BA outside of London, ie Amsterdam or Paris, which will help.
We are not particularly bothered where we land.
But are there any particular routes that give a better chance of upgrading the return half to the UK ? Business or First ?
And I guess I would be interested in any creative ways to use this voucher between Europe and the States or Canada ?
At first glance it seems to me to be pretty restrictive to be able to get seats just doing some dummy bookings , although I appreciate that this Summer is all probably taken.
I would be looking to start searching this Summer for next year.
Any particular advice would be appreciated ,
Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
But are there any particular routes that give a better chance of upgrading the return half to the UK ? Business or First ?
Other will chime in with detailed information relating to the destination but off the bat I can say you wont get First with the Lloyds voucher. The terms and conditions will not allow it. WTP to Club is as good as it gets unfortunately. And you cant use your spare miles to double dip, you're stuck with club unless the op up fairy visits you.

Oh, I could not use it on the BA (cityflyer?) flights into/out of LCY to JFK when I tried recently although others have reported they have. I did hang up and try again (twice) but did not get a different answer. YMMV of course. Good Luck

Last edited by sunshinebob; Feb 19, 2018 at 3:23 am Reason: Added para two
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
We can start with BA outside of London, ie Amsterdam or Paris, which will help.
You can't, it has to be a UK airport for this voucher.

[EDIT: You can! Wrong voucher info...]

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Feb 21, 2018 at 2:38 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:40 am

Also, I think you can only use it for UK originated flights, so either 1 person upgrade for a return ticket from the UK or 2 people upgrade for single tickets from the UK.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
You can't, it has to be a UK airport for this voucher.
Originally Posted by rontse
Also, I think you can only use it for UK originated flights, so either 1 person upgrade for a return ticket from the UK or 2 people upgrade for single tickets from the UK.

This is incorrect, I have made 2 x one way bookings for TLV - LHR using the voucher.
I'm not sure if it's the case that you can or can not make a return booking from outside the UK though..

Last edited by lev441; Feb 19, 2018 at 4:15 am Reason: needed to change
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lev441
This is incorrect, I have made 2 x one way bookings for TLV - LHR using the voucher.
I'm not sure if it's the case that you can or can not make a return booking from outside the UK though..
I've also used to book some one way flights from Europe into London.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Never knew that!!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by rontse
The Amex companion voucher has to be ex-UK, the Lloyd's voucher can be ex-anywhere , so you could do just the return flight with the voucher.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info so far..my fault re First upgrade which I knew. I think a phone call with detailed questions is going to be in order,particularly round trip or one ways only outside of the UK.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Oh, I could not use it on the BA (cityflyer?) flights into/out of LCY to JFK when I tried recently although others have reported they have. I did hang up and try again (twice) but did not get a different answer. YMMV of course. Good Luck
Unlucky - I did it in June last year out on BA1, back to LGW upstairs on a 747. But when I did, BA1 to JFK was showing as available with the upgrade voucher on avios.com - was this the case when you rang up to book?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
I have always done HKG - LHR - HKG to avail of the cheap taxes, but are you saying you booked two one ways e..g. HKG to LON and then HKG to LON or just a single flight for two people?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
Unlucky - I did it in June last year out on BA1, back to LGW upstairs on a 747.
Err, were you diverted from LHR?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by smala01
I have always done HKG - LHR - HKG to avail of the cheap taxes, but are you saying you booked two one ways e..g. HKG to LON and then HKG to LON or just a single flight for two people?
The latter!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:50 am
Original Poster

A phone call or online ?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:03 am

A phone call or online ?
Phone call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.