Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to NYC - advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Trip to NYC - advice needed please

Planning a trip with my OH, brother and his fiancé to New York open 27th Dec and returning on 1st Jan.

Flights in J would be just shy of £3000 per couple and the hotel we want would be £1250 per couple. Can book it all via BA Holidays at £3650 per couple so bit of a saving there.

Got the the choice of the 10:15 AA flight or a BA one at similar times both on a 777 - tempted by the AA to try their J product - do you guys think thats a good move? 1-21 seats vs 2-4-2? (Have flown club and first before but never AA’s J)
Flight home would have to be the 8am flight on the 1st (tough after celebrating NYE the night before but got to be home due to work commitments with my brother on the 2nd) that will be on the BA 747. (Hopefully a refitted high-J)

Is there anyway of possibly getting this cheaper? No Avios to use so be paying cash. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Isn’t there a deal ex-LHR or INV at the moment to JFK?

I haven’t done the day flight back to LHR, as I prefer the red eye, especially in CW or F as you can sleep and land at a reasonable hour in London.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
yes INV-JFK return for around £1350 depending on dates. Include positioning flights that more like £1600

I've done a couple of ex US day flights and I find them a lot better for dealing with my jet lag. I prefer AA over BA.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think you'll struggle to beat that holiday deal with ex-EU by any significant amount. I'd go for it. I haven't flown AA in J, but it does look pretty good, doing it next week in fact. You'll never really know until you try it
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Hmm... AA J is excellent. I haven't actually had a day time transatlantic flight in BA J, but AA J was superb.

BA Holidays normally have a Twixtmas Sale... I did this last year and had 4 nights hotel with AA J for #1350.00 per person. That was departing 22nd Dec though.

EDIT: Just reread your initial post.

I recommend AA J outbound
BA J back (in the bubble of a 747)

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 16, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:24 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
AA J beats the pants off BA J in every detail.

The major exception might be BA's 747 on the upper deck, mainly for the nostalgia effect.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Go with AA

My suggestion would be:
OUT: AA101, nice business cabin rows 2A-5A are free at moment and you all get a window seat, direct aisle access, food options have improved too.
RETURN: AA142 coming back; same type of plane , (although the 77W with the small Business class cabin is even better), and business class is wide open (no seats taken) at moment.
Book on the BA website, but avoid their planes...
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:31 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
AA J beats the pants off BA J in every detail.

The major exception might be BA's 747 on the upper deck, mainly for the nostalgia effect.
Not sure it’s as simple as that! Better booze with BA and with the Do&Co food on the NY route that is also a win for BA. The seat and cabin layout is another matter.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wemyss
My suggestion would be:
OUT: AA101, nice business cabin rows 2A-5A are free at moment and you all get a window seat, direct aisle access, food options have improved too.
RETURN: AA142 coming back; same type of plane , (although the 77W with the small Business class cabin is even better), and business class is wide open (no seats taken) at moment.
Book on the BA website, but avoid their planes...
to come back on the AA flight puts the price up by over £300 so would have to stick to the only other day flight which is the 8am BA one
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
AA is definitely nicer, you'll get the 'upgraded' BA J experience on this route but frankly it's still way sub par as far as international business class is concerned. As many have said, if you do fly with BA and you have status take the upper deck.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:34 am

AA101 10:15 departure is an excellent service, and my most preferred on LHR-JFK. I would take this in a heartbeat. Far better seat and experience than BA, plus you get to use the CX lounges at LHR T3, better than BA options.

If returning on a day flight, I would take AA. If returning on a night flight, take BA (no service required, just get to sleep all the way through to London).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89

to come back on the AA flight puts the price up by over £300 so would have to stick to the only other day flight which is the 8am BA one
I'm using Google flights and for the dates you quote, AA flights price out at £1454, the same as BA flights.( It's cheaper to come back on Dec 31st). So are you getting a cheaper flight coming back BA?? I cant see that...
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wemyss
I'm using Google flights and for the dates you quote, AA flights price out at £1454, the same as BA flights.( It's cheaper to come back on Dec 31st). So are you getting a cheaper flight coming back BA?? I cant see that...
screenshoots attaches of the the prices I’m getting.

These are are all via ba’s site booking as a holiday. Still coming up at 3661 per couple including the aa 10:15 flight out and the 8am ba flight home. If changing to the aa 10:15 flight home it puts it up by over £300.

Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for replying so far.

Ill take the the AA flight out then to experience that and fly home on BA.

Like mentioned earlier, the day flight home is the only one that suits really, my brother has to be in work on the 2nd, and coming home on a overnight flight arriving in London on the 2nd in the AM is just too risky.

Did look at exEU prices but saving wasn’t massive over booking via BA Holidays so not worth the extra travel, like someone previously mentioned, plus the group I’m traveling with thinks that would be stupid lol!

Unfortuantly i have no status at the moment so reserving seats upstairs is unlikely. Or can you pay to reserve upstairs?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Unfortuantly i have no status at the moment so reserving seats upstairs is unlikely. Or can you pay to reserve upstairs?

Thanks
Hi there, yes you can pay to reserve seats if you have no status, or with for that matter, however unless there is a specific reason you fancied a particular seat personally I wouldn’t bother. The outbound flight on AA will not have an upper deck anyway. I hope you enjoy your trip however the seating turns out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.