Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

No, the experience the OP suffered in this topic is the exception, the vast majority of First trips are typical of that experienced by @nuffnuff
And the basis for this bold claim is what exactly?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Has BA engaged a Russian troll factory to try and counter evil Western anti-BA propaganda with wonderful, happy stories that are so effusive that they will soon have me grateful that planes still carry sickbags?

Please remember that it is possible that when people raise issues about service failures it doesn't necessarily mean they hate BA - some of us actually like BA but would like it to be even better. Taking the approach that "I fly far more than you so your experiences aren't valid" or snide comments about people getting CCR by doing TP runs without ever setting foot in BA F (inexperienced peasants!), or that any negative comment is "moaning and whinging" just distracts from the discussion.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I see my fan club is out in force this beautiful Tuesday morning. I'll leave you boys to have your fun ... I'll go post with the grownups
PJSMITH0 and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I see my fan club is out in force this beautiful Tuesday morning. I'll leave you boys to have your fun ... I'll go post with the grownups
How very grownup of you

Last edited by NYLON Boy; Feb 20, 2018 at 3:51 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Whit are you lot bletherin aboot? OP had a rubbish experience, it happens. Rightly Advised to complain to BA. Sorted. 15 more pages of Willywaving ad nasuem. I’m aff for a beer!
T8191, Tobias-UK, PJSMITH0 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I disagree, personally done a fair Few F segments and Tobias himself 100+ just on a380 I believe and given neither of us has ever encountered such bad treatment and hard product as OP, one can extrapolate (or use stats with certain confidence just from one’s own experience) and suggest this is an unusual point and not standard we encounter weekly.
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Exactly right T8191, for every great flight in F I get another one that has a hole in the seat where a lamp used to be, or there's no more slippers so I have to put on my shoes every time I go to the toilet, or I find a dessert or main course option has run out and I quietly pick at something unwanted whilst getting annoyed that my CIV score was ignored, but then feel guilty as the kid with the fancy chocolate dessert seems to be loving it

When BA F is great, it's great and you can overlook the poor hard product. When it's bad, you think you must be crackers for picking this over an Etihad apartment or a Singapore suite.
So we have one post by a frequent BA flier saying that 50% of his flights have problems and another post saying 99% of their flights are fine. Can both be true? I suppose that they can, depending on routes and CIV scores and such and posters don't have to disparage one another. I mean, if you do 100+ first flights in a year, I can't imagine you not getting your first choice of meals and more attentive service because of your CIV score. Or maybe 1A and 1K are just better maintained than other seats in the cabin because BA wants to please their best customers.

Anyway, to add my $0.02 to the discussion the OP started about meal choices, I remember my first BA flight five years ago when I was encouraged to try anything and everything I wanted off the menu. Compare that to the last flight I took when, because of loading to 140% and pre-ordering, I was told no extra appetizers or desserts and no deviations from what I ordered. Graciously, of course. To me First is about indulgence (very subjective, I know) and limitations about choice seems totally counter to that. A year or two ago there were threads about BA not wanting to waste food and so cutting back on loading extra choices in First meals but again, indulgence and frugality seem to be mutually exclusive and in First and I want the former.
GaxxyFlyer and ChrisMcP like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Can both be true? I suppose that they can, depending on routes and CIV scores and such
Certainly aircraft type, loads and knowledge of competitors makes a big difference. Things typically work on 747s and 777s, but most of my 787 flights have broken or dodgy lamps, and A380s often have rattly doors. If you're flying on a busy route, more food is loaded and things tend to balance out. When there's 3 or 4 of you in the cabin, service routines go to pot and crew don't have as much flexibility in their pocket. If you don't fly Etihad's apartments or Singapore's suites then you're going to think the BA suite [sic] is great, as it's much nicer than CW.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
eefor. I fully agree with your point about indulgence.

Imagine the BA Exec team's discussion................."Indulgence? They want indulgence? What's wrong with a stale roll?"
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by PETER01 subject2load, I see you have a 789 F flight coming up but if you experienced what I had yesterday I am sure you will enjoy it and it will be interesting to read your experiences and I genuinely hope you enjoy it. I agree the OP had a below par which is not acceptable and I hope the OP gets some recompense.

Finally, what I would say is that by their own admission many have NOT flown BA for quite some time and I find it hard to comprehend how people can comment when they have no recent experience, even in the not having been on BA for a few years.
Originally Posted by subject2load

I always try to respond to any posts which address me directly (apologies for the delay in this case ....but have been bereft of reliable internet access for the last couple of days or so !).

I particularly want to thank you for your words of encouragement and good wishes ^

I must say I do find it a little odd that you have difficulty comprehending “how people can comment when they have no recent experience”. Does this mean that it’s not acceptable for people to comment (even if in general terms) on a report of poor service ....?? What about people who may be thinking of booking a BA flight, and express concern at what they are reading in certain threads .... ?? And what about a similar scenario, but in reverse so to speak : would you be equally offended by people commenting on a really positive thread about BA travel .... maybe sonething along the lines of “Fantastic to hear of your great experience, especially as I’m thinking of coming back to BA, having used other carriers for a long time .....”

Hopefully I will indeed enjoy my upcoming BA flight in F in the same way that you did your own. I will naturally join the flight in very positive spirit, and with fingers firmly crossed ; equally, I would be lying if I said that the very common reports here on FT of substandard service & quality in premium cabins (some of which closely mirror my own experiences from past CW flights) did not cause a good degree of apprehension as to what to awaits me once onboard.

I’m conscious that many others, like yourself, thoroughly enjoy their travels with BA, with very good examples in a couple of current threads. I think it’s only right that such ‘positive’ threads should be respected for what they are ; but on the other hand, I do feel it’s extremely disappointing to see that many comments on this thread attempt to imply that the OP has in some way misunderstood the very concept of the BA First Class product ; that the OP adopted the wrong attitude and mindset, and shouldn’t allow themselves to be troubled by poor service and other failings, such as dirty seats and inoperative lights etc.

In the course of this lengthy thread, there have been various accusations of ‘elitism’ - accusations which I’d say are close to the truth. And one or two posts have certainly adopted a distinctly unwelcome tone ; none more so, in my view, than this rather patronising comment :

Many have high expectations because they don't fly first frequently, think £3k is a substantial amount of money and believe that first class travel should be luxurious”

Here’s a question : if first class - on any global airline - is not about high standards, an element of luxury, and quality of service ...... then what exactly IS it about ?
Nothing odd in my view about people commenting, that's a fair point. People can post what they like but I do find it odd people saying it's a common occurrence when they have never flew First or even with BA at all recently or for a few years even by their own admissions. That's my view and lets be honest we don't read a lot about that on here and there is a very different mindset from people here compared to those who have never heard of Flyertalk, probably the vast majority by far of the flying public.

Flying First should always be faultless, of course it should be and I admire the pragmatic way the OP has conducted himself here. It should not have happened. There is no doubt in my mind though that there a lot of hyperbole on this thread though and as for elitism I have met many, many FTr's over the years, some multiple times and across the status ranges and that is something that has never occurred to me but that's getting away from the core subject of this thread.

Personally if it were up to me I'd mark the OP for a service recovery upgrade on his next flight. Not that it compensates for what happened but a way of recompense. I hope you enjoy your up and coming F flight and I await to read about your experiences.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:44 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
The fact is if its a complaint it will run into pages and pages. If its complimentary its likely to be commented on less. I watched the programe on the new Singapore first suite where everyone was raving about it until near the end when a older English couple slated it it. 50 mins of good PR overturned in 20 secs
HIDDY, PETER01 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Naughty !!

No lounges whilst waiting for your Number 11 bus, surely ..... ?

(OTOH .... perhaps the boarding process is more consistent with the bus .....)

True, no lounge, but I can always wait in the pub where incidentally they sell better wine than I’ve seen in the First lounge in a while and where they clean the tables to boot. Oh, and boarding the no. 11 is usually more dignified than on BA.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Not in my experience! I'm GGL and I rarely get my first choice of entrée when flying in First MIA/LHR or YYZ/LHR. I've stopped complaining or caring; just spending less $$$ for J tickets, and on AA or AC instead.BA CS knows this is an issue, but does not (or cannot) do anything about it.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by themax
Not in my experience! I'm GGL and I rarely get my first choice of entrée when flying in First MIA/LHR or YYZ/LHR. I've stopped complaining or caring; just spending less $$$ for J tickets, and on AA or AC instead.BA CS knows this is an issue, but does not (or cannot) do anything about it.
That is terrible, you need to start asking the crew if any customer with a lower status has been given what you wanted.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you

That is terrible, you need to start asking the crew if any customer with a lower status has been given what you wanted.
I don’t stretch to first, but I find this really funny. First first, and firstish first.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
They still do slippers in First? I haven’t seen or been offered them for years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.