Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
I really wouldn’t get too triggered by any assertions by Members that other Members are garners of cheap status. Those disparaging others tend to be the worst offenders for this, but will swear blind they are just the most Premium pax around with CIVs off the charts. Being careful with your money and wanting the best bang for your buck is nothing to be ashamed of. If only some could admit this, they all do it.
Yes, and don't be too impressed by the implication that those who look down on TP runners are somehow more worthy: I would venture that for most of them, most of their flying is funded by clients/employers... and if not, then they're just Richie Richs being flash, and who cares about them ?

Last edited by Fitch; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:05 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
It's rarely the frequent F travellers who are moaning though. It's those who travel F rarely, think they should be treated like royalty and have their noses put out when they aren't.
As the OP, I guess i do have a right to respond. I have enough recent experience in F to calibrate expectations against, having done Oz, Caribbean & Kuwait several times. I also compare with CW which I travel often enough in. I certainly do not expect a trail of rose petals to my seat. I do however find some of my experiences on this most recent flight below par. Generally I do not have any problem with BA & will be very supportive of them. The meals issue does however raise in my mind a very clear failing in a premium product, having flown F in the larger 747 & 777 cabins was not an issue there.. Stuff not working well so be it, didn't have any real impact. I fly back tomorrow so we'll see how that is.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
The elitism in this thread is almost embarrassing..
Many may suggest that elitism on FT’s BAEC forum is not just restricted to this thread alone.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyuk
I do not hate BA, I love BA, they are my national carrier...
They may have "British" in the name and the flag on the tail but BA has no more claim to being our national carrier than EasyJet, Flybe or Virgin.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by passy777

Many may suggest that elitism on FT’s BAEC forum is not just restricted to this thread alone.
I always find the BA board slightly more Hyacinth Bouquet than élite
SW7London likes this.

Last edited by dodgeflyer; Feb 18, 2018 at 3:22 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by TabTraveller

Stuff goes wrong sometimes. On ALL carriers. It's an airplane, not a tailors. The OP has every right to expect decent service but should also be realistic that the world isn't perfect, regardless of which bit of the bus you happen to have your arse parked on.
I think this is the view point of BA leadership today.
If I ran my business like that I would be looking for a new job within a year.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I always find the BA board slightly more Hyacinth Bouquet than elité.
Surely you mean Hyacinth Bucket?!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Surely you mean Hyacinth Bucket?!
You’re right. As long as you spell it B-o-u-q... ;-)
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Sorry to hear of the OP's experience, not what one would expect or wish for, F on BA can be quite lovely indeed.

Not trying to hijack the thread but the experience does make me wonder if the consensus is to now preorder one's meal to ensure one does get one's first choice?

TIA, safe travels.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:19 am

I always think it is one less pleasure of air travel to order in advance rather than look at a menu and make a choice. Of course, it is the more responsible appropriate way and no doubt the way forward.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Not trying to hijack the thread but the experience does make me wonder if the consensus is to now preorder one's meal to ensure one does get one's first choice?
I think one is always well advised to do so. Although one can not always plan for the type of craving one may have on the day, it does, as you say, ensure one gets one's first choice.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BotB
Sorry to hear of the OP's experience, not what one would expect or wish for, F on BA can be quite lovely indeed.

TIA, safe travels.
There has been no change on loadings in First, despite what has been said by a few contributors above (who by their own admission rarely fly BA these days), Can I Help You has indicated it is rare for a First passenger to be refused their choice:

Originally Posted by Can I help you
We have to record any meals we refuse, I rarely have too but when I do it’s on less full cabins.
I suppose if there is a dish you particularly fancy I'd pre-order it. I don't and have never been refused my choice.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Feb 18, 2018 at 5:34 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suppose if there is a dish you particularly fancy I'd pre-order it. I don't and have never been refused my choice.
That highlights the difference between F and J ... I’d be thrilled to see a dish I particularly fancy! Usually we select the least-worst looking option of “Beef or Chicken”
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Misco60
They may have "British" in the name and the flag on the tail but BA has no more claim to being our national carrier than EasyJet, Flybe or Virgin.
Um, they do. They are the de facto flag carrier for the United Kingdom.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
There has been no change on loadings in First, despite what has been said by a few contributors above (who by their own admission rarely fly BA these days), Can I Help You has indicated it is rare for a First passenger to be refused their choice:

Which I guess goes to show the failing on the flight I had..... a pre-ordered meal for my wife was not available so choice refused, my first choice refused, second choice also refused. That is a pretty high error ratio for a premium product. Bad luck maybe... but good enough? No, not in my books.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.