Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load
At least you learnt your lesson long ago, and you’re now an enthusiastic IB economy class flyer (even though it is still part of IAG)
How on earth did I end up saying ''they were years ago before the days of Mixed Fleet and c-w-s'' when I meant to say ''and Cruz''.

If the price and timings suit me I'll fly with any airline. One advantage of not being caught up in the status game I suppose.
worldtrav, DYKWIA and subject2load like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by seanp7
How many meals does LH F load? I'm a mere Star Gold and I've always received my first choice on LH. Paid F, award F, doesn't matter. And you get all three appetizers if you want.

What's with the BA rationing? It can be a good menu; load extra! How much is it, $20 each? Flying BA F in June and was looking forward to being back on board, but this thread is depressing...
On the last LH F flight I took, I had all 3 starters, they offered multiple mains and I had at least 2 desserts.

On the last TG F flight we did, I was about the only one eating the caviar, and they just kept filling up my plate with it.

Although to be fair to BA, on our last F I was offered seconds of the soup.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Meh
Flying BA F to HKG next week and have no excitement at all. Used up OB points (that is another thread!!) that were expiring so happy enough (not!) to just be paying high taxes etc.
CW back from PEK using avios so again my expectations are low but I am not bothered as BA are lower than average.
I have not paid for a LH BA flight in some 5 years now. So lesson is learned there but I do fly LH a bit each year using avios.

Slightly OT but the usual poster(s) are here in support of BA, invariably GGL/CCR. I completely understand why they would support BA, my local pub is a bit crap, I know this but it is my local afterall.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, stevie, economical flying! Sadly we pay money for most of our BA ‘experiences’, apart from the 241 trip. We always look forward to l/h AA, and just accept the ‘whatever’ when doing it with BA.

However, as a CW/Business only traveller, I’d better wind my neck in
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Reading this reminds me of the irony from "A Very British Airline" where this employee proudly tells us that there was a tiny nick i the trim on an F seat, but when people actually get to the seat it is worn, dirty and still has trash laying around. How does BA get away with at least the cleaning part (maintenance can be explained sometimes)?

Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

On the last LH F flight I took, I had all 3 starters, they offered multiple mains and I had at least 2 desserts.

On the last TG F flight we did, I was about the only one eating the caviar, and they just kept filling up my plate with it.

Although to be fair to BA, on our last F I was offered seconds of the soup.
Well, see, on other airlines F means that basically it's a luxury offer and you're treated almost like royalty. On BA it seems like the main distinction is that the F seat is much better than the CW seat even though arguably some of the brand new J offers of the Gulf Carriers are no worse or even better than BA F. On the flip side, LH F is typically about 900 quid more and even more on some other airlines. BA is probably about as budget as F gets.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:05 pm

Reports of positive experiences do not make up for a negative one!

The positive experience of First should be the default not some threadworthy declaration of BA's commitment to excellence.

A negative one can not be explained away because the OP was the wrong personality type to deal with a dirty seat, didn't talk to the crew, doesn't travel enough or, my fave, had unrealistic expectations because he read too many trip reports.

And, really, if cheap fares or one-off First travellers somehow really do deserve cheap treatment should this not be put on the website somewhere? I mean, they really are such low blows.

Good on the OP for reporting.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I would also argue there is a bit of rose tinted spectacles/Stockholm syndrome for CCR/GGL members, who invariably have much more experience on BA versus other carriers, so this is their 'norm', therefore accepted as 'good'. Those who travel on a variety of carriers know that there is better out there.
Funny how the other airline sections of FlyerTalk are full of complaints too.

The fact is that Flyertalk is an echo chamber and kind of eats itself.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... or alternatively, sealink, a lot of frequent flyers are tired of under-delivery of the hyperbolic advertising?
Dave_C likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
... or alternatively, sealink, a lot of frequent flyers are tired of under-delivery of the hyperbolic advertising?
It's rarely the frequent F travellers who are moaning though. It's those who travel F rarely, think they should be treated like royalty and have their noses put out when they aren't.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Royalty?! Ha! More like the deluded expectation of a clean seat and surrounding area
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TabTraveller

It's rarely the frequent F travellers who are moaning though. It's those who travel F rarely, think they should be treated like royalty and have their noses put out when they aren't.
I’ve never noticed that attitude, TBH. Indeed, we will be asking our Butler on the next trip to stop scattering flowers petals everywhere, including in the bath-tub. Never wanted on BA either

What I have read is reports of broken equipment, inedequate cleaning, poor crew and failed ‘fine dining’. Are they are from ‘fairly frequent F’, as opposed to CW interlopers like me (on one sad occasion) or the once-in-a-lifetime community?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller

What a joke, the OP wanted to be treated like a customer.
SK, T8191, mikeyfly and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm a frequent flyer. And FlyerTalk posters exist in a different world than most travellers.

I resent being told that my good experiences are as a result of wearing rose tinted glasses or having Stockholm syndrome.

It seems the only accepted view on FT is negative.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 17, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QUOTE=Sealink;29428060]I'm a frequent flyer.[/QUOTE]

“Frequent” is an interesting adjective, with flexible definition

And your point is ..... ?

(aplogies, having connection issues)

Your views are yours, sealink, and respected as such. I do not wish to join this assumed pro/anti BA chorus. I thus say what I see, and experience, and comment on others’ encounters from a hopefully neutral perspective.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.