Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on CW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

First time on CW

Traveling IAD - LHR - MAA in CW. I have selected window seats 20A in the 747 and 7A on the 788/789. These seats are at the end of the CW section and I'm told that they have unrestricted aisle access. But they are right by the lavatories. Is the disturbance too bad? This is my first time in Business Class and wanted to have a good experience as much as possible.. Any tips on seat selections is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
If you can get a seat on the upper deck on the 747 I'd highly recommend it.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
7A/K on 789 is really nice, very small cabin and direct access. Instead of 20A I would go row 62 or 64 on 744.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by BlackLab1
Traveling IAD - LHR - MAA in CW. I have selected window seats 20A in the 747 and 7A on the 788/789. These seats are at the end of the CW section and I'm told that they have unrestricted aisle access. But they are right by the lavatories. Is the disturbance too bad? This is my first time in Business Class and wanted to have a good experience as much as possible.. Any tips on seat selections is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I can't comment too much on the 787 in CW as I haven't been on the BA one yet in that particular cabin but 7A is a great seat as it has unrestricted aisle access so yes grab that if you can.

I would most definitely echo what CloudGazer has stated and if you can get a seat on the upper deck on the 747 then that is the place to be. The unrestricted aisle seats up there are

62 A/K (window)
64 A/K (window but 64A is a bassinet and blocked until about 2 days out approximately)
60 B/J (aisle)
63 B/J

You need BA/Oneworld status to select these in advance if you don't have it unless if your on business your travel corporate policy allows you to.

If you cant select them for free on the upper deck they can be paid for are and they are 63 ABJK. There are 2 747 configairations, not sure which one you have but if it shows rows 12-14 these are the refurbished ones and have excellent IFE etc and seats 14 aK are direct aisle seats as well, under estimated in my humble view.

Finally, a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board Blacklab1 and if you look at the main Dashboard you might find some of the info/apps there useful as well as this site but if you have any more queries this is the place to get them asnwered.

thebasource
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
personally direct access to the aisle (i.e. no one having to jump over my legs) is way better than the (in my experience) minimal noise from the toilets.

Unless you have status and can get a seat on the upper deck of the 747 then again, in my opinion, it is not worth paying the excessive BA fees.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
personally direct access to the aisle (i.e. no one having to jump over my legs) is way better than the (in my experience) minimal noise from the toilets.
^^
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Upper deck is the way to go and without status I’d pay for them. Re proximity to the loos, I’d rather be further away and have to step over someone else. But that’s because I’m a light sleeper and even minimal noise would disturb me. So I guess it depends on what bothers you most.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
If you can get a seat on the upper deck on the 747 I'd highly recommend it.
This, or if you've got a few (18,000) Avois it's always worth looking for a First upgrade! Would definitely go for row 6 if available on the 789.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by BlackLab1
On the B789, on the left side of the aircraft then yes there is a lavatory right next to 7A. On the other side though it's the Club Kitchen closest to 7K and the lavatory is at the rear of the galley so this side has less toilet flushing noise.

On the B788 its the other way around, Club Kitchen next to 3A, lavatory next to 3K.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On the 787 series, the flush noise won't be heard above the engine noise, it's very quiet. It's more the movement of people, curtain shakes. I wouldn't avoid 7A for that, on the 787-9 it's a good seat.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
he reason people are suggesting 62/64 on UD is that they offer the holy trinity of upper deck exclusiveness, window seat (which on the 744 UD means side bins and therefore extra room) AND still unrestricted aisle access.

IMHO they're the best seats in any BA J cabin.

But then again this is not a unique view I hold, and therefore they go quick.

If you have end cabin window with aisle access in the main deck I would only trade that for a decent UD seat and nothing else Responses about lav noise are right it's not a huge deal.

But personally I think those side bins upstairs make a huge huge difference to the experience. I can have my laptop open working while eating, etc etc.

Enjoy

Pascoe
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
On the B789, on the left side of the aircraft then yes there is a lavatory right next to 7A. On the other side though it's the Club Kitchen closest to 7K and the lavatory is at the rear of the galley so this side has less toilet flushing noise.

On the B788 its the other way around, Club Kitchen next to 3A, lavatory next to 3K.
Thank you that’s interesting I thought that on the 788 3A and 3K were supposed to be the seats to have?
SaraJH likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Thank you that’s interesting I thought that on the 788 3A and 3K were supposed to be the seats to have?
I think most people would say they were. Mrs BertieB and I flew 3J/K on the 788 over the new year break (and lost them on the way back due to a 789 being swapped in, grrrrr.....) - first time in 3K and had been a bit concerned about noise from the lavatory, but my fears were groundless. I'd say 3A/K are still the best 788 seats for the privacy they offer, as well as being in the forward cabin
SaraJH likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
They are, just pointing out that between the B789 and the B788 the side with the lavatory and the side with the Club Kitchen are reversed.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
7A/K on 789 is really nice, very small cabin and direct access. Instead of 20A I would go row 62 or 64 on 744.
I tried but they told me that I won't be able to reserve seats in the upper deck. So is 20A a good choice in the main deck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.