Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: Premier Inn breakfast or Club World lunch - help me choose!

Dilemma: Premier Inn breakfast or Club World lunch - help me choose!

Old Feb 15, 18, 4:01 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,048
Dilemma: Premier Inn breakfast or Club World lunch - help me choose!

I am looking forward to my Club World trip to Washington next week, and as I arrive from Barcelona in Club Europe the night before I am staying at the Premier Inn Terminal 5.

I love Premier Inns and always get a good night's sleep - I have not yet needed to claim back on their guarantee! One of the highlights of the Premier Inn experience is the breakfast. They are always fantastic and if I take bacon, sausage, mushrooms and all the good stuff I have no need of either lunch or dinner.

On the other hand, if I forego the Premier Inn breakfast and eat a bacon roll in the Galleries Club and Club World lunch instead I will (a) save ten Pounds and (b) maybe experience the new Club World service with trolley. Taking the lunch will fill some time on the flight, but I remember it always being a bit of a hassle waiting for the next course to arrive and while the trolley sounds like a good idea in theory it might be painful in reality, especially at this stage in rollout. I like watching movies, reading books and listening to music on the flight so not eating is not a problem. I also remember Club World catering being quite good, just quite good, while the Premier Inn breakfast is always excellent. I have not stayed at the Heathrow one yet though, so it could have poor breakfasts and be the exception that proves the rule.

For what it's worth I will be on the 747 with 86 Club World seats. If there is a window on the upper deck I will take it, but I see no need to pay extra for that as I know from long experience that the lower deck windows are almost just as good. At this stage, I think there is maybe a 50% chance I will be upstairs, a 40% chance I will be in the main section with six rows and a 10% chance I will be in the 2.25 row section at the front.

What would you do? Many thanks in(n!) advance!

Sixth Freedom is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 4:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vxj, SE/Washington, DC
Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Posts: 1,158
I just had the hot pot Saturday London-Washington in Club World, was really really good!
zabes64 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 4:25 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: BA Oneworld
Posts: 567
The PI breaky, followed by bloody Mary's in the BA lounge (skip any food except for kettle chips) and then lunch on the plane.
adrianlondon likes this.
BrianWBrazil is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 4:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North of Carlisle
Programs: BAEC Hilton,
Posts: 1,453
Dilemma: Premier Inn breakfast or Club World lunch - help me choose!

Just take both, you know you want to
mike&co is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 4:28 pm
  #5  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,343
You went to the same college as me, so I'm sure you will recall the "Representativeness Heuristic". Which, to quote from Wikipedia "happens when people rely on representativeness to make judgments, they are likely to judge wrongly because the fact that something is more representative does not actually make it more likely".

So you have stated "One of the highlights of the Premier Inn experience is the breakfast. They are always fantastic". Note the use of the word "always". The new CW service to IAD - subject to some critical analysis in the main thread - is on the other hand described as "while the trolley sounds like a good idea in theory it might be painful in reality, especially at this stage in rollout". The Representativeness Heuristic would suggest that both opinions are perhaps off beam and the reality is somewhere in the middle.

So to my mind what you should do is eat a modest, perhaps early, breakfast - reflecting too on your studies on the Equimarginal principle and how diminishing marginal utility comes into effect - so the first bite is the best! Premier Inns are affordable enough to be a regular splurge, I suspect CW to IAD is in the less regular category.

Then on the IAD service, have space for an equally modest but by then necessary lunch. Plus it's somewhat unlikely to be served 45 minutes after departure!

Moreover rolling off an aircraft stuffed silly is unlikely to do your jetlag much good either. Little but often works best.

Hope that's clear, and that you won't be beavering away too much on board! Have a great flight.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Feb 15, 18, 4:42 pm
  #6  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
One of the highlights of the Premier Inn experience is the breakfast.
In my opinion Premier Inn provides quite a basic service, the food is ok. That said, Galleries food isn't exactly fine dining either. I'd definitely not turn down the food on the plane in exchange for a full English in a Premier Inn, personally I'd probably take an early continental breakfast in the hotel, a snack in the lounge, then a 3 course lunch on the plane, followed by afternoon tea.
All She Wrote is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 4:43 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,311
I would wake up on the day and make my mind up. You could always 'phone a friend' at that point I guess.
simons1 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,581
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
I would wake up on the day and make my mind up. You could always 'phone a friend' at that point I guess.
After the audience has already been asked?
mike&co, kosy91 and GLA like this.
FlyingScientist is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,279
Can’t offer much help with your agonising dilemma, Sixth Freedom.

However, by way of general comment, it’s interesting that you see the Club World menu as a straight alternative to a 10 breakfast at the Premier Inn.

Not sure what this tells us about your personal perspective on BA catering standards ...... but perhaps safe to say (?) that you’re not totally convinced by their official website blurb (“Anticipate mouth-watering menus that are thoughtfully prepared using locally sourced, seasonal produce and elegantly presented.”)







kosy91, englisha and hugolover like this.
subject2load is online now  
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:35 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,022
The highlight of a UK hotel stay for me is a breakfast fry-up and you're right the Premier Inn one is pretty good....at least, the last one I had near Inverness was. I certainly couldn't resist having it.

Are you on a diet?
Dubliner1 and DYKWIA like this.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:50 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 700
I'm sure the tactical barf could be applied to breakfast gluttony.

I'd skip the fry up personally, but it sounds like you're positively looking forward to it.
ajamieson and choosethedrew like this.
ppp909 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:55 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,108
Whether or not you eat on the flight, you’ve already paid for it.

So...



Why not both?
Flame3601 and HIDDY like this.
thunderlounge is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 8:32 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,991
Stay at the Premier Inn on Bath Road, eat breakfast and walk the 3 miles to LHR. Should open some room for lunch.
Great_circle and ajamieson like this.
TomMM is online now  
Old Feb 15, 18, 9:42 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: none
Posts: 3,954
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Stay at the Premier Inn on Bath Road, eat breakfast and walk the 3 miles to LHR. Should open some room for lunch.
Is there a clear walking path to LHR from hotels on Bath Road? I haven't seen that stretch for quite a long time, so perhaps it's changed, but I seem to recall that I gave up on the idea as impractical.
WillTravel is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:31 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Posts: 5,286
Somehow, I always manage to make these life changing decisions all by myself. But just in case it comes down to the 50:50, my vote is for both. Oink oink!
adrianlondon likes this.
HilFly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: