Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis car rental through BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Returned from CPT 13th March and got the all clear from Avis that everything was in order. On Friday gone, charge on my credit card for 550ZAR. Not a huge amount of money but nonetheless. Emailed BA hols with the details and looking for a refund
Had something similar... had no idea, until a few days later some post from France, a fine for driving to fast.
The fee that Avis charged me, was to cover the admin costs, police, who was the driver etc.
In the end they waved half of the fee away.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:14 am

Returned from CPT 13th March and got the all clear from Avis that everything was in order. On Friday gone, charge on my credit card for 550ZAR. Not a huge amount of money but nonetheless. Emailed BA hols with the details and looking for a refund
Could it be tolls? I've had a few of those come through after the all clear. The Avis website is pretty good at detailing charges which can help discussions with BAH
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Speaking from, ahem, experience this will be the admin fee for them processing a traffic fine ( responding to a request from the police for driver details ) ... you'll likely not hear anything else as the authorities will not bother chasing foreign renters for fines ( the size of the fine is likely small so not worthwhile ) ... in some parts of the garden route in particular there's a lot of speed cameras and it's not hard to get caught

[ If you still have the rental agreement you'll probably see this 'processing fee' listed - it's fairly standard ]
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I fully understand that I may be responsible for a future charge, but I don't like the way the charge is made without any notification beforehand. We had a puncture in SA, which the chap at the return desk said we wouldn't be charged for, and then got an unexpected charge a few days later - which turned out to be the 'admin charge' for having the puncture! Also had a (very) late charge in Italy, which I think was also an admin fee for responding to a fine. In both cases they were unexpected, at suspicious times (one was immediately after having my card declined at a cash machine) and in both cases I was own the brink of stopping my cards.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
In belfast a 'city surcharge' of £54 was added to my BA Avis rental, I challenged it with Avis Customer services but they wouldn't budge. As its clearly stated on the drop down box of the particular car model you are booking on the BA car hire site that airport/city/location surcharges are included in your voucher cost, I have now taken it up with BA as clearly this is not right.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
​​​​​​
I had this 550 too from 14month ago rental in cpt it's the handling fee for a speeding fine I had long paid.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Just adding another data point with an after the event charge. Drop off to Avis in DUR after five days of hire in November 2019. All super speedy. I then got hit with a "cleaning charge" for approx £20. I am now waiting for it to be re-credited as a 'gesture of good will' from Avis. It's not the money but being billed for something that could easily have been told to us at hand-over (even though I would have said that the car was as clean as could be expected after five days on rural SA roads).

It won't put me off hiring via BA/Avis (note that I made sure that my booking reference was the Avis one so I could deal with them and the BA involvement was simply to provide a voucher).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Just adding another data point with an after the event charge. Drop off to Avis in DUR after five days of hire in November 2019. All super speedy. I then got hit with a "cleaning charge" for approx £20. I am now waiting for it to be re-credited as a 'gesture of good will' from Avis. It's not the money but being billed for something that could easily have been told to us at hand-over (even though I would have said that the car was as clean as could be expected after five days on rural SA roads).

It won't put me off hiring via BA/Avis (note that I made sure that my booking reference was the Avis one so I could deal with them and the BA involvement was simply to provide a voucher).
From my point it has little to do with avis or ba. Car rental in saf is somehow always... Different.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chrismk
We've had some excellent deals booking Avis through BA for our last few US vacations.
My only grievance is that I always have to phone to get the booking added to my Preferred account and I can't add Roadside Assistance until I pick the vehicle up.
And make sure you don't get charged again when returning the car!
I have rented multiple cars in the US/Canda via BA/Avis and always had competive rates, never had any charges beside the prepaid amounts besides tolls, usually good cars (or better than rented). Nothing to complain really.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Having used Avis in the US on BA Holidays bookings, I would strongly recommend not taking up the roadside assistance that is offered as an extra at pick up. When I read into it, it only covers four roadside situations: namely, keys locked inside the car, flat battery, running out of fuel and attending to a flat tyre/tire! Given that these are largely under the drivers' control, at $7.99/day (offered at LAX) it seems poor value.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Bronze-soon to be Silver!
Originally Posted by TedToToe
When I read into it, it only covers four roadside situations: namely, keys locked inside the car, flat battery, running out of fuel and attending to a flat tyre/tire! Given that these are largely under the drivers' control, at $7.99/day (offered at LAX) it seems poor value.
Proper understatement! But you can't fault them for trying!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue
It's basically insurance so expensive if you don't use it but invaluable if you do!

We had a flat tyre (which you can't control) in the middle of nowhere!
Of course I couldn’t shift the wheel nuts.
A phone call and we were up and running in 45 minutes.
And with a chronic lung condition it was worth every penny (cent).

Last edited by chrismk; Dec 7, 2019 at 4:57 am Reason: Original response was alcohol fueled!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chrismk
It's basically insurance so expensive if you don't use it but invaluable if you do!

We had a flat tyre (which you can't control) in the middle of nowhere!
Of course I couldn’t shift the wheel nuts.
A phone call and we were up and running in 45 minutes.
And with a chronic lung condition it was worth every penny (cent).
Don’t get me wrong, there are those who would not want to, or would be unable to change a wheel, and it is good that Avis provides cover. I just think that many will be taking up this insurance without realising its limitations.
Now, compare this to Europe, where many cars no longer have spare wheels; having instead, what can be best described as, a can of gunk and an electric pump! I would gladly pay extra for the reassurance of an actual spare wheel!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Blue
Very true. On this occasion it was a space saver wheel which managed the 100 miles to Orlando but we had to get to the airport next day and swap the vehicle.
My wife is a wheelchair user so the cover is a bit of security. Of course when we started to take out this cover the £ was much stronger so it wasn't so expensive!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
I have an Avis pre-pay reservation in Italy that I want to cancel.

Looks like if I had booked direct with Avis there is now a waiver to get a refund: https://www.avis.co.uk/avis-coronavirus-advice

However I booked through BA.com (not the Avis BA website or with a flight as a BA Holiday), does anyone know if BA honouring this waiver/policy too?

If I want to call BA about it who do I speak to? BA Holidays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.