Avis car rental through BA

Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
My experience has been that through whatever channel I have booked an Avis car, the BA benefits (principally free second driver) have been given on collection when asked for. Simply putting my BA number into the booking has been enough.
And it is worth remembering that if the second driver is your partner or spouse you don't need this benefit - Avis give it anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by T8191
1. Avis Preferred member, always book Avis/BA in the US.

Avis Preferred US or UK ?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've used AVIS for many years through work and have cottoned on to booking my long haul holiday (US) flights with a car, not only saving money, but you only pay a deposit .
Amongst some of the other benefits listed here already, when you arrive at the destination (provided you gave them your customer #), you go straight to your car and straight out the car rental centre.
I've seen humongous queues at some US airports, especially in peak periods.
Works 100% for me every time.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
And it is worth remembering that if the second driver is your partner or spouse you don't need this benefit - Avis give it anyway.
... although a couple of weeks ago on picking the car up from Avis at T5 (& with preferred) the agent insisted that I had to pay for an additional driver, even though i) it was booked through BA with my # and ii) the additional driver was my wife. The agent was insistent that the BA# had to have an 'N' at the end - my CC was additionally charged the full amount + additional driver. Thankfully on dropping the car off that was all repaid... . IT IS WORTH CHECKING!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
... although a couple of weeks ago on picking the car up from Avis at T5 (& with preferred) the agent insisted that I had to pay for an additional driver, even though i) it was booked through BA with my # and ii) the additional driver was my wife. The agent was insistent that the BA# had to have an 'N' at the end - my CC was additionally charged the full amount + additional driver. Thankfully on dropping the car off that was all repaid... . IT IS WORTH CHECKING!
Thanks for this, I think this is very important - it may be that the free extra driver for spouse/partner is only a USA benefit as that is where I hired the Avis car. When I recently hired an Enterprise car in the UK (not Avis I know) I had to pay for my partner - so it could be a marketplace thing.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Anyone got this promo and received the avios bonus?

Originally Posted by offshore_bob
There is also the Avios offer on at the moment - book and rent with Avis for 3 days or more before 23 March 2018 and get min 1500 Avios. And as others have said join Avis Preferred beforehand and you don't need to queue at any counters.
I've booked a 3 days rental in the US (March 8-11) and still no signs of any avios, bonus or not... The process to claim missing avios requires me to ** mail ** a web form - is that for real??
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by pinkcat
Avis Preferred US or UK ?
Hi pinkcat. If I'm not doing Avis/BA rentals (i.e. flying AA) I think I log in at Avis UK using my Avis Preferred number. That way I get pricing in GBP!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:35 pm

I all... I'm a little late to this thread, but just about to book three lots of car hire for the family holiday in California, BA flights. I usually book cars through the Avis website, but it's far cheaper this time going through BA. My concern is whether our not I would still get the Avis Preferred benefits (collect and go, airport upgrades etc). I see there is a space for entering your Avis number in the booking process, so hoping the answer is 'yes'! Any experiences? Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by flapsat5
I all... I'm a little late to this thread, but just about to book three lots of car hire for the family holiday in California, BA flights. I usually book cars through the Avis website, but it's far cheaper this time going through BA. My concern is whether our not I would still get the Avis Preferred benefits (collect and go, airport upgrades etc). I see there is a space for entering your Avis number in the booking process, so hoping the answer is 'yes'! Any experiences? Thanks.
I usually use my Avios via ba.com to book car hire for work trips. I've always been able to use Preferred desks (or just go straight to the car depending on which country) etc. TBF I have never attempted an airport upgrade but I don't see why that would be different.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I must be doing something wrong.

Every time I check ba.com for car rental, the prices are nowhere near competitive. I don't just mean a few quid more - I mean totally out of the ballpark.

A recent example was a one-way from SJC to LAX for 10 days. BA's quote was around 50% higher than Expedia.

Am I missing some obvious trick here?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Works every time or me too, although that has been only within Europe.The prices for Avis and BA Avis were the same every time as far as I remember. Places like Nice have horrendous queues but upstairs at the preferred desk one person in front of me last month.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I recently had my first experience of Avis Preferred booked via BA Holidays, had to go to the hire kiosk (not rental desk) to have DL and CC confirmed. Booked Mustang or similar from Yokelville USA airport to another airport in the same state that doesnt stock Mustangs. Was fully expecting poverty tourist rental spec and ended up with a fully loaded V8 GT Premium. Asking colleagues at work they do seem to treat BA customers well, with leather / nav upgrades universally reported.*
*Personal bookings rather than corporate.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Another vote for the BA/Avis deals.
My only problem was getting the bookings/BA card/Avis Preferred number all linked together. I must have made a mistake in booking, but it went thru as a "holiday!"
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Another vote for the BA/Avis deals.
My only problem was getting the bookings/BA card/Avis Preferred number all linked together. I must have made a mistake in booking, but it went thru as a "holiday!"
If you managed to get them linked together could you let me know how you did it please?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:25 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
I was once upgraded at MUC from a C class Merc to a Porsche Cayenne Turbo GTS...
T8191 and EDIwanderer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.