Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-Dubai. WT+ on BA / Qantas or Falcon Gold on Gulf Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Hi all

Looks like I’ll need to be in Dubai middle of next week with work. Company policy is premium economy for a fight of that length, so I basically have 3 choices:

1. WT+ on BA. I’m gold status with BA, but have never once been upgraded on the 100 or so flights I’ve been on in the last 2 years (I’m beginning to think it’s something personal &#129315. Advantages are tier points and Avios. Disadvantages are there are no exit seats remaining in the WT+ cabin.

2. Premium economy on Qantas. Never flown on Qantas before but the premium cabin looks good. Advantages: new experience, nice cabin, tier points. Disadvantage: fewer Avios than if I flew BA.

3. Falcon Gold on Gulf Air. Looks like a nice service, flat bed, first class standard. Advantage: looks like a very nice service with lots of room (I’m 6ft 6, so space is important to me). Disadvantage: not a One World partner, so no tier points or Avios, stops in Bahrain.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The vast majority of my BA flights are short haul around Europe, and it’s relatively rare (once or twice a year) that I fly long haul with work. If I could upgrade the BA flights to Business with Avios it would be a no-brainer, however it seems that there’s no availability, and my track record with scoring upgrades is zero!

Advice would be welcome.

Mark
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:50 am

The decision basically boils down to recliner seat or flat bad? Flat bed with no questions.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:52 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
It looks like Falcon Gold is their business class, so if your company is willing to buy that instead of WT+, then that's going to be much better.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
Day flight or overnight flight? I wouldn't bother with a flat bed for a day flight, it is not that long.

Of the choices you present I would go Qantas.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Unless the TPs would be the difference between a status level, so you get the benefits for an entire year, the flat bed is a no brainer (all things being equal).

If you can get the day flights to and from DXB and the Gulf Air times are particularly inconvenient then I'd maybe consider BA anyway.

The bottom line, however, is that you'd earn 16k avios or thereabouts from LHR-DXB. Although it is a good route for op-ups, especially when it's as full as it looks to be, you'd still upgrade to club for 16k avios return in a heartbeat!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Gulf first, then QF then BA.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Blue
I'm doing this same route in old WTP in just over a week on 106/107. Not looking forward to the state of the cabin but want to keep the faint chance of an Avios upgrade open. Last couple of times I flew that way I went Qantas and liked their Premium Economy, though wouldn't say there was much in it v refurbed WTP. Can't comment on Gulf Air
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm flying the same route on the first week of May and I booked on Qantas Flown last year QF on a different route in premium economy and I was very happy with that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
I Did LHR-DXB-LHR last month in WT + Was on the 21:40 (777) out of LHR and for 6 hrs in WT+ (I'm 6:2) it was fine. Coming back I was on the 02:30 (747) out of DXB and was upgraded to CW. Whilst nice to get the upgrade I would have been perfectly happy with 8 hrs in WT + considering I paid under £600 for the return flight. I've seen a few Youtube videos on Qantas WT+ and it looks better than BA (though you pay a price as has been mentioned with less Avios). I guess it depends how important the Avios are to you whether you go for BA, or Qantas. I know absolutely nothing on Gulf so cant comment.

ML
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Gulf first, then QF then BA.
I would normally agree, but to be honest on a relatively short flight I'm not sure going via Bahrain is worth the hassle.

So I would just do QF and leave it at that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:09 pm

What's the BA 772 like on this route? Shabby? The BA 744? Shabby?

The QF 380? Certainly newer, fresher, a better in-flight entertainment system?

With QF and your status you can use the Cathay lounge. If you don't fancy that then there's the AA lounges, the new QF lounge or the BA lounges. You can also use the Emirates First Class lounge on your return, if you're on a QF flight / ticket.

Palmer
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all for taking the time to reply. It’s likely I’ll try Qantas on this trip. Whilst Gulf Air looks very nice, I’m not sure I fancy the extra flight.

Fingers crossed for a nice Business Class upgrade. My luck has to change at some point
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
J on the short BAH-DXB hop will be proper short haul J, like a sofa seat and cocktail table in the middle with a hot meal.

BAH isn’t the nicest of airports but should be fine for a connection. The Falcon lounge in DXB is okay but has no windows, not much of an upgrade really on a Galleries Club.

DXB is served by Rockwell Collins 772s and the mid-J 744 at the moment, so I’d be inclined to try the QF 388 and enjoy the CX/QF lounges in T3.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:12 pm

And being BA Gold, you'll also get access to the EK First lounge at DXB on the return journey. So long as you're booked onto QF coded/operated services, this is the nice little bonus of QF having to honor oneworld status benefits to is customers on this JV route. Enjoy it while it lasts.... QF services will route via PER/SIN instead of DXB from 28MAR.

In terms of upgrades to Business, QF work a bidding system where you can bid from about £200 upto about £1000 per sector. You'll be advised when OLCI opens whether you've been successful. Avios and Tier Points post as the upgraded cabin. Although I wasnt that keen on their Business seat, the service was pretty decent.

Enjoy the experience
Tredders likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Flew on Qantas Last Night in PE , Seat 24A

From my experience last night there isn't even a discussion to be had , I would book QF every time over BA on the Dubai Route.

Dinner in the EK First Class Lounge , Prawn Bisque to start, followed by T Bone Steak (Cooked to Perfection) better than anything i have ever had in the CC or Flounge.

Seat , Bigger, seamed to be better recline , TV and Choice of Movies was also very good.

I skipped the first snack, which i believe was a Pasty or Sandwich , Breakfast was better quality than anything i have had in CW

Crew where great , regular drink runs , came around with chocolate etc.

I appreciate more miles with BA but for me I would choose QF PE over either BA PE or Gulf Business Non Direct.

I would also add from just viewing , if travelling in Business alone , i would choose BA over QF due to the privacy of the Window seats in CW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.