Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would Durban be viable? [starts 29th Oct 2018, 3 x weekly, 787-8]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would Durban be viable? [starts 29th Oct 2018, 3 x weekly, 787-8]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Fingers crossed for a generous splattering of Reward J seats .... over the festive period
Old May 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
BA LHR-DUR confirmed! Starting October 29th, three times per week, on a B787-8. Flight times are currently scheduled as:
  • LHR-DUR: 1545 departure, 0535 arrival (Mon/Thurs/Sat)
  • DUR-LHR: 0735 departure, 1745 arrival (Tues/Fri/Sun)
More information here: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...urban-service/
Branson voiced interest in a direct (presumably non-stop) LON-DUR flight a few years ago some time after the last SA and BA direct flights ceased. These were not non-stop I recall (DUR>JNB>LHR) and, if memory serves, the problem with the old DUR airport (Louis Botha airport vs the current KSIA (King Shaka International Airport) in that it had an oil refinery on one side and hills on the other.. It was said that a fully laden B747 would struggle with the runway length and that there was no room to extend it.

Last edited by radiata; May 8, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: superfluous info
Old May 8, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Presumably each r/t is one aircraft with back-to-back in Durban? i.e. only really 'idle' on a Wednesday at LHR.
No, the Thursday 1545 departure, for example, is back at LHR at 1745 Friday, leaving 22 hours before the Saturday 1545 departure. The gap between the Tuesday afternoon arrival at LHR and the Thursday afternoon departure is similarly only 2 hours short of 48 hours - so I think that saying "only really 'idle' on a Wednesday" is rather understating it.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stewaran
I wonder if it will have the same heavy discounts as JNB when you start from AMS?
BA already files AMS-DUR fares. The question really is whether BA40/41 will be excluded from the existing good value AMS-DUR fares.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Bet Comair are thrilled with the lost rev from connecting pax that usually would be going via JNB or even CPT. Should folks go via DUR for cheaper fares ( if any difference) or reward space availability and travel from CPT/JNB/PLZ etc then it will be an overnight hotel job for the return back to London from Durban as there is no way to connect from those cities and make it in time for the departure to London. I can’t see this route working out tbh, Emirates are a big player there and Ethiopian have some super cheap fares ex-DUR.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Bet Comair are thrilled with the lost rev from connecting pax that usually would be going via JNB or even CPT. Should folks go via DUR for cheaper fares ( if any difference) or reward space availability and travel from CPT/JNB/PLZ etc then it will be an overnight hotel job for the return back to London from Durban as there is no way to connect from those cities and make it in time for the departure to London. I can’t see this route working out tbh, Emirates are a big player there and Ethiopian have some super cheap fares ex-DUR.
Valid points but BA will have thought of all of that, done the analysis, and concluded it could work. That's not to say it will work, but BA thinks it could.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, the Thursday 1545 departure, for example, is back at LHR at 1745 Friday, leaving 22 hours before the Saturday 1545 departure. The gap between the Tuesday afternoon arrival at LHR and the Thursday afternoon departure is similarly only 2 hours short of 48 hours - so I think that saying "only really 'idle' on a Wednesday" is rather understating it.
Do you really think airlines work that way? It’s maybe possible a different route will utilised those 22/48hrs, but more likely the the next trip to DUR will be be operated by a different aircraft entirely, will will have come in from another destination just the lunchtime.
etiene likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
A good idea but sadly the flight times don’t suit me - the overnight options each way really are a luxury for JNB/CPT, and the Comair connections fantastic too.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The direct LHR flights to and from Durban (BA41 and BA40 respectively) are now available on line, for both revenue and redemption bookings. Seat selection will probably switch on later today or tomorrow.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The direct LHR flights to and from Durban (BA41 and BA40 respectively) are now available on line, for both revenue and redemption bookings. Seat selection will probably switch on later today or tomorrow.
Sadly it hasn't received the same avios-band down rating as CPT & JNB so it's 75k/90k instead of 62.5k/75k (offpeak/peak e/w J).
Old May 9, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Emirates are a big player there and Ethiopian have some super cheap fares ex-DUR.
Emirates it is true have a stranglehold on long haul international departures, but because of this they have high fares. Hopefully this will help them reduce as well.
Ethiopian ceased service last year ("temporarily", with the thinking of going seasonal only, but no sign of resuming flights yet. I took their flight last May).

signol
Old May 9, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
£1200 WT+ over New Year is decent with a UuA option

Who will grab these ?!
Old May 9, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
Sadly it hasn't received the same avios-band down rating as CPT & JNB so it's 75k/90k instead of 62.5k/75k (offpeak/peak e/w J).
That's a shame - hopefully an oversight that'll get corrected in due course.

Although if someone points it out, they might just decide to 'correct' the CPT and JNB prices instead...
Old May 9, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldb
Do you really think airlines work that way?
No, they don't - that was exactly my point.
stewaran likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Sample fares if you want to be on the Inaugeral... (random date back 11th Nov)

Sardine - (O) - £604
Sardine Plus - (T) - £1228
Ying Yang - (I) - £3259
Privileged - (A) - Not on this route

I do see that good prices are available from AMS - Business drops to £1710.... happy hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.