Tier Points on Upgrades

Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I'm being offered a cash upgrade on an Avios booked ticket (economy to CE). Will this upgrade it into a 0-earning bucket still?
Don't think I've seen pro-active cash upgrades on redemption tickets before...
Yes it will still be 0 TP's however sometimes BA's flaky IT may credit in your favour.

POUG on redemption tickets is normal but of course never guaranteed and of course mainly for London-XXX or XXX-London bookings.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Not sure if this is the right thread for my question. If not, please excuse my mistake!

Does anyone of you know if I get Business TP/Avios @ BA for a paid Economy class ticket that is cash-upgraded (web offer) into a Business class ticket when flying LATAM (SCL-LIM)?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ToKo
Not sure if this is the right thread for my question. If not, please excuse my mistake!

Does anyone of you know if I get Business TP/Avios @ BA for a paid Economy class ticket that is cash-upgraded (web offer) into a Business class ticket when flying LATAM (SCL-LIM)?
The norm with partner airlines is that promotional upgrades do not accrue increased TPs and instead the credit is per the original booking. I do not believe LA is an exception.
efincomputer and ToKo like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
A couple of months ago I paid cash for the upgrade from WT+ to business class that was offered to me in the BA lounge at ORD (going to LHR, obviously). A couple of days after, I noticed that I only got 90 tier points which is the norm for WT+. I called up and pointed out that I had upgraded and the guy said he'd pass it to the admin team to correct.

Just looked again and still nothing changed/corrected on my account. I *should* be getting the extra TP, shouldn't I?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Yes. Paid for upgrades attract the extra TP's and Avios.

They also seem to attract the bonus Avios too from the double up campaign ran earlier!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Anyone had experiences of paying cash to upgrade, but then credit BA flights to AAdvantage? Does AAdvantage credit the new T fare class (WTP) or the original V fare class (WT)?

in the middle of deciding to purchase an upgrade offer from WT to WTP for flight LHR - HKG...
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Anyone had experiences of paying cash to upgrade, but then credit BA flights to AAdvantage? Does AAdvantage credit the new T fare class (WTP) or the original V fare class (WT)?

in the middle of deciding to purchase an upgrade offer from WT to WTP for flight LHR - HKG...
Recently done that. Sorry, but it will be original fare class.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver
Hello,

This is my first post/question here, so hopefully this is the right place to ask, apologies if not!

I recently successfully bid for an upgrade to business on MH (KUL to LHR), original ticket was basic economy, so would not earn TP or Avios (although I put my BA exec # on the booking). New ticket issued (which I still have) was issued in J class with my BA exec # on there. Will I/should I earn the ~8k avios and tier points (160 as per BA's calculator)? they have not shown up in my account and my flight landed at LHR 4 days ago, departed KUL 5 days ago. The original ticket and upgrade was all booked directly with MH.

Should I claim this online/call BA?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlexIG
Hello,

This is my first post/question here, so hopefully this is the right place to ask, apologies if not!

I recently successfully bid for an upgrade to business on MH (KUL to LHR), original ticket was basic economy, so would not earn TP or Avios (although I put my BA exec # on the booking). New ticket issued (which I still have) was issued in J class with my BA exec # on there. Will I/should I earn the ~8k avios and tier points (160 as per BA's calculator)? they have not shown up in my account and my flight landed at LHR 4 days ago, departed KUL 5 days ago. The original ticket and upgrade was all booked directly with MH.

Should I claim this online/call BA?

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome to FT AlexIG!

I am afraid the bad news is MH like many oneworld airlines only award TPs and avios per the original booking selling class and not the upgraded one if you take a promotional upgrade and credit to BAEC. BA themselves will credit at the higher rate. So getting nothing as the original selling class doesn't give any TPs and avios sounds correct. Some more information here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30609133-post5.html
Tier points for POUGs & AUPs on oneworld airlines
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlexIG
Paying for upgrades on MH generally doesn't get you increased TPs / Avios, indeed you may well also lose out on the original TPs/Avios that were due from the ticket before the upgrade. I imagine that your Basic economy ticket would have got a few TPs and Avios, generally speaking there aren't many oneworld revenue tickets that get nothing at all, but certainly upgrading the booking doesn't help this at all. On other airlines you normally get at least the starting point TP/Avios, MH is an exception there, whereas on BA, JAL and a few others you get the upgraded amount.

In addition MH can be a little slow to credit, so normally you best leave it 2 weeks plus the following Wednesday morning before claiming. Even if it's a zero credit there should still be an entry on your BAEC transaction list. I would still claim though I am not optimistic you will get anything.

Welcome to Flyertalk AlexIG, and welcome to the BA Forum, this is definitely the place to work out how to play this better in the future, and hopefully it will make it easier for you to maximise your flying experiences in the future. Welcome on baord.
scottishpoet likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:52 am

Thanks for those links KARFA, much appreciated :-).

Not the best news, but at least I enjoyed the flight - am only on track to make Bronze this year regardless, so it's really just the avios I'm losing.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:00 am

Thanks CWS!

I had originally booked a one-way N class fare from MNL to LHR via KUL. When I put these flights into the BA calculator, N class didn't even come up, so did some digging and it appeared that basic economy on MH earns nothing... as far as I could see.

Will look out for the flights to appear though in a few weeks, thanks for the tip.

The main reason for the upgrade was to avoid 14hrs in economy, was well worth it in the end for a flatbed on an overnight - and the food was great. The avios were just a bonus as I am going to be bronze this year anyway, and this flight would have only gotten me halfway to silver.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
I could not see an answer to this earlier in the thread but I recently upgraded a DUB-LHR-LAX business return (paid cash) to First using OnBusiness points (GGL user). I have just spotted that I have not got any avios or tier points for this but instead a "not eligible" marker on it. I expected to get credited for the original cash part but not the upgrade - not sure if anyone has a view on whether this correct and it's worth an argument with them. Whenever I tried to change the ticket for a couple of reasons there seemed to be some weird markers on it that required a lot of extra calls so I am hoping the lack of points is someone assuming the entire ticket was a redemption when in fact there was a large cash element.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Roryb
I could not see an answer to this earlier in the thread but I recently upgraded a DUB-LHR-LAX business return (paid cash) to First using OnBusiness points (GGL user). I have just spotted that I have not got any avios or tier points for this but instead a "not eligible" marker on it. I expected to get credited for the original cash part but not the upgrade - not sure if anyone has a view on whether this correct and it's worth an argument with them. Whenever I tried to change the ticket for a couple of reasons there seemed to be some weird markers on it that required a lot of extra calls so I am hoping the lack of points is someone assuming the entire ticket was a redemption when in fact there was a large cash element.
As far as I am aware, you always get the Avios and Tier Points for the cash component of the fare, so you should receive Club World Avios and Tier Points.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:58 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Upgrade by Avios, you get the original TP/Avios (although occasionally you can get an IT error in your favour, and get credited the upgraded cabin. Don't expect this however.....)
This (being credited the upgraded cabin) has happened on all of my several avios upgrades in the last couple of years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.