Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Points on Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
UUA from CW to F. Credited with F TPs / Avios which was a nice surprise but from the sounds of it not correct...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
BA is one of the generous airlines in the industry with regards to this ^

Other airlines they take your money and put you in the upgraded seat, however, they credit the original fare booked.
Not really. *A will credit you miles for the class upgraded to online. They also do it for successful PlusGrades (i.e., bids). There's no change in credit if and only if you cash upgrade at the gate or on the plane. (Which is kind of understandable from a business perspective as those are impulse purchases.)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Scillybear
My last 5 CW flights (UUA from WTP on 3 separate occasions) have credited full CW tier points.

I thought it might be a change of policy. I have been keeping quiet about it.
Originally Posted by londonsean69
I upgraded WT+ to CW (for the wife and me) and got the tier points and Avios for CW. They also appear to have not (yet) deducted the Avios used This was over four months ago, so one is hopeful they never will
We were also op-upped (WT+ to CW) on the outbound!

(cue a cold sweat that BA will see this and hunt down their Avios)
Originally Posted by UTFB
UUA from CW to F. Credited with F TPs / Avios which was a nice surprise but from the sounds of it not correct...
could you please not post about it?!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
It is. Sometimes the ancient and oft-criticised BA IT systems work in our favour - nice when it happens, but not something to rely on.

Has there ever been a recorded instance of BAEC clawing back such TP/Avios? I've certainly never read of one in my short time here, but maybe it has happened?
It seems to be once posted they leave it. I recently had a LATAM redemption flight where I earned Avios and TP on. In the instances where I got posted the full CW credit, it was on complicated itineraries where the agent needs to do a manual calculation. I think they would have to manually reduce to Avios and TP earned but if you're in luck they miss out this step.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, trying to figure out Skywards
Just flew back from India with hubby (HYD-LHR-JFK) and 3 days before travel, I called and upgraded our WT+ seats on the HYD-LHR leg with avios+fees (25K+ $200). The app showed the CW seat choice and the "manage my booking" section that shows TP earned and Avios earned for the trip, I saw CW TPs. I was pleased about that, but a little concerned that the Avios had not yet been deducted and no charge was made on the CC used. At 24 hours before departure, I could check-in online, but hubby couldn't. At the airport, there seemed to be some confusion about our ticket number, which caused us to wait for about 10 min while it was sorted out. The BA agent took the CC info again and this time it was charged. As comp for the confusion, the BA agent upgraded both of us on the LHR-JFK leg too, and smilingly reassured us we'd earn the perks for CW.

It's been 2 days since the trip and out accounts show only the WTP tier points, no extra CW Avios, and no deduction of the Avios for the upgrade! I'm currently at Bronze and 20 TP short of Silver. I was hoping the upgrades would put me over the line, but no such luck at least so far!! Anyone had any luck with calling and asking about this? My year ends 8th Feb and I'd hate to miss out on Silver! Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cocoabean28
I called and upgraded our WT+ seats on the HYD-LHR leg with avios+fees (25K+ $200). The app showed the CW seat choice and the "manage my booking" section that shows TP earned and Avios earned for the trip, I saw CW TPs..
I'm afraid that if you upgrade with Avios, you don't get additional Tier Points. See post 2 above. You would if it was cash. Unfortunately MMB will indeed show incorrectly the higher amount.
efincomputer and Keystone like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately MMB will indeed show incorrectly the higher amount.
Thanks for your quick reply. Useful to know that MMB isn't reliable. It's a bummer as I was hoping the system glitches would work in my favor as it did for others who posted here. I suppose it did in the non-deduction of Avios (so far!). I'll try on the BA Tier Point Run thread to figure out the best way to earn those 20 TPs in the next month.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cocoabean28
Thanks for your quick reply. Useful to know that MMB isn't reliable. It's a bummer as I was hoping the system glitches would work in my favor as it did for others who posted here. I suppose it did in the non-deduction of Avios (so far!). I'll try on the BA Tier Point Run thread to figure out the best way to earn those 20 TPs in the next month.
If you are East Coast based, then I suspect it's going to be something like AA hops between any of BOS-NYC-DCA-BUF-PHL etc. If you can get a low cost First JFK-BOS and the return on points, you can resolve this in just a couple of hours. Just book 2 weeks or more before travel if First is involved.
cocoabean28 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
For me, an upgrade is what the airline gives you for free. So would not expect extra TP or Avios.

AN upsell, where you pay extra with cash, should attract TP and Avios on the cabin you end up in.

An Avios upsell, I would not expect anything extra TP or Avios wise.
cocoabean28 likes this.

Last edited by Sealink; Dec 28, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:15 am

How about if you travel on an Avios ticket (Or OnBusiness) and upgrade at the airport. Do you then get the Tier Points and Avios for the flight ?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LUFTY
How about if you travel on an Avios ticket (Or OnBusiness) and upgrade at the airport. Do you then get the Tier Points and Avios for the flight ?
No as the underlying booking wouldn't earn. Basically only if you have a revenue booking on BA and then upgrade with cash (AUP, POUG etc.) do you get the upgraded TPs.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:37 am

Thanks Karfa for the quick reply.

That is a waste of Ł66 then on my flight to Jersey this morning 😂
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are East Coast based, then I suspect it's going to be something like AA hops between any of BOS-NYC-DCA-BUF-PHL etc. If you can get a low cost First JFK-BOS and the return on points, you can resolve this in just a couple of hours. Just book 2 weeks or more before travel if First is involved.
Quick update: booked BOS-LGA (I) so hopefully that should get me 40 TP and put me over the line for silver. Details are on the TP run thread.

Thank you all for your responses.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm being offered a cash upgrade on an Avios booked ticket (economy to CE). Will this upgrade it into a 0-earning bucket still?
Don't think I've seen pro-active cash upgrades on redemption tickets before...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I'm being offered a cash upgrade on an Avios booked ticket (economy to CE). Will this upgrade it into a 0-earning bucket still?
Don't think I've seen pro-active cash upgrades on redemption tickets before...
quite common. You won’t get any TPs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.