Advice needed - BA to Pune

Old Feb 14, 18, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Silver
Advice needed - BA to Pune

Hi All,

I need to travel from London to Pune with work in March. I've done this before, once via Mumbai and then road, and another via Hyderabad. Guessing many will do this route a lot and I wondered what the best approach was - i.e. is it worth traveling to a none India location and connecting, or just connecting via a Indian city? Any OneWorld options in India?

Any advice or tips appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd always recommend Indigo for internal flights in India. Very low prices, nice clean aircraft, good staff, you can order "special services" on board catering that arrives at your seat without any faff at all. And a bright, modern attitude - good joke relating to their prefix code in the title of their in-flight magazine in particular which it took me a while to twig.

Having said that, you'd probably be best doing the LH into Delhi or Bangalore, because the obvious airport, Mumbai, doesn't have direct options to Pune as far as I can see.

I'm not a fan of travelling by road in India - it's dangerous. I've had two colleagues involved in thankfully minor accidents over there.
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Having been to Pune myself, I would not connect to a domestic flight. Just stick with flying to Mumbai and then a road transfer to Pune.
cgtechuk and Harry Harry like this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
IMO via Delhi or Hyderabad are the best options as there are vastly more flights than Mumbai. Pune has limited international flights, Jet to AUH which doesn't connect well with the BA flight, Spicejet to DXB which is LCC and Lufthansa Privatair

Agree Indigo is good but you need to watch out at Delhi, only Jet and AI use the main terminal, the others are at a separate LCC terminal
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There was a previous thread about this from a few years ago which threw up a lot of ideas, maybe @Banana4321 has a few more comments?

London->PNQ (Pune, India)
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
There arenít any OneWorld connections to Pune unfortunately and itís a rubbish airport.

Easiest way is to Mumbai and then take a taxi, providing you avoid the morning and evening peaks. The BA departure (which theyíve now cut down to once daily) gets in just after midnight which doesnít really work for the early morning Jet Airways departure to Pune if you fancy a half decent nights sleep.

if you do overnight in Mumbai, try and stay to the east of the airport in one of the airport hotels as its far quicker to get to the expressway.

Old Feb 14, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There was a previous thread about this from a few years ago which threw up a lot of ideas, maybe @Banana4321 has a few more comments?

London->PNQ (Pune, India)
I'm more Bangalore and Hyderabad these days, which are thankfully far more friendly when it comes to direct routes from LHR. So my advice would be "work for a different company"

The old thread is useful (I hope) and due consideration should be given to your personal risk factors when choosing to select the drive up the Death Highway. I'm past the age of daring-do now and so would not consider it again; instead choosing a connecting flight which is a few orders of magnitude safer. If the connection from AUH is still running then that would be my favoured option if forced to visit Pune (and only Pune) again.

Pune is the only Indian city I've been to with very few redeeming features. So my advice would be to check-out the IPL fixture list and engineer your visit to correspond with one.

Last edited by Banana4321; Feb 14, 18 at 8:12 am
Old Feb 14, 18, 8:05 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
We flew Vistara last Monday Goa - Delhi and I am sure we landed at the main International terminal. Vistara also fly Delhi - Pune.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Agree with into Mumbai and drive. Get a reputable driver and not a taxi in my opinion though. It is a three hour plus drive on a good day and you want some comfort. The road is poor and windy in places.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95 View Post
Agree with into Mumbai and drive. Get a reputable driver and not a taxi in my opinion though. It is a three hour plus drive on a good day and you want some comfort. The road is poor and windy in places.
Yes, should have clarified. Use a proper firm who use decent vehicles, not the airport taxis.

If you work for a tech firm and the office youíre visiting is near Talawade/MIDC Tech Park then you wonít save much time flying to Pune. Itís over an hour to PNQ from there anyway.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by cameramaker View Post

Yes, should have clarified. Use a proper firm who use decent vehicles, not the airport taxis.

If you work for a tech firm and the office youíre visiting is near Talawade/MIDC Tech Park then you wonít save much time flying to Pune. Itís over an hour to PNQ from there anyway.
Yes...but at survivable speeds. My office was in Hinjewadi, very much at the Pune end of the Death Highway, I still would rather fly in.

Besides all the decent hotels/facilties/bars/etc. are in the centre so unless you like living the hard life then you are subject to the drive from Pune -> NW Pune everyday in any case.
Old Feb 14, 18, 10:00 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Our office is also in Hinjewadi and I ended up doing Mumbai to Pune by car as the travel time was the same as getting from Pune airport plus the flight,

Whatever suits really, QR also fly to BOM if that is an option
Old Feb 14, 18, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Last time I was in Pune I flew in on GoAir from BLR. Whenever possible though, I'd recommend against transferring in India, so if the Lufthansa flight with a connection in FRA is available to you, I'd take it.
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
Last time I was in Pune I flew in on GoAir from BLR. Whenever possible though, I'd recommend against transferring in India, so if the Lufthansa flight with a connection in FRA is available to you, I'd take it.
Itís not a Lufthansa plane by the way so not sure what standards will be like on board. No lounge access either and I still wouldnít wait in the PP lounge versus the departure lounge even if it was free!
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Banana4321 View Post
Yes...but at survivable speeds. My office was in Hinjewadi, very much at the Pune end of the Death Highway, I still would rather fly in.

Besides all the decent hotels/facilties/bars/etc. are in the centre so unless you like living the hard life then you are subject to the drive from Pune -> NW Pune everyday in any case.
Thereís Doubletree and Courtyard to name but two.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: