Advice needed - BA to Pune

Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by cameramaker

There’s Doubletree and Courtyard to name but two.
EXACTLY!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Having said that, you'd probably be best doing the LH into Delhi or Bangalore, because the obvious airport, Mumbai, doesn't have direct options to Pune as far as I can see.
Jet Airways fly BOM-PNQ direct. I did it a few years ago and I see they are still operating it.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Banana4321
... due consideration should be given to your personal risk factors when choosing to select the drive up the Death Highway.
See below.

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Agree with into Mumbai and drive. Get a reputable driver .... The road is poor and windy in places.
This.

Originally Posted by Banana4321
... the Pune end of the Death Highway...
I have made this trip many times. In my opinion, ESFLYER95 has the right idea. In my opinion, Banana4321 is not doing anyone any favours with this sort of alarmism. There are people on this forum who look out their window and if it's cloudy they won't step outside because they might get struck by lightning. If that's the way they want to live their lives ... well, it's up to them. But for someone to come here and repeat a phrase such as Death Highway is adding an unnecessary -- and irresponsible -- level of emotion to the whole discussion.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Not really, Indian roads and drivers are genuinely lethal. I travel a lot in Asia, and India is by far the worst - as I said I've had two colleagues injured in road crashes there, and I avoid using roads as far as possible, given that you can't avoid it altogether. For example there's the 3am drive to the airport when roads are clear, the driver is drowsy, speeds go up, and lanes and directions are viewed as temporary inconveniences. Then there are the two lane roads where your driver will overtake and nick in just before the lorry bearing down at speed. And so on.

It's not emotional to point out this is dangerous, and I don't get paid to risk my life when there are workable alternatives. That's not to say I wouldn't take a car under any circumstances, and in fact it's very enjoyable in some parts of rural India, I had a lovely week process mapping milk collections near Ahmedabad a couple of years ago. But given the choice between a flight and a car, and given the flight is likely to cost thirty quid or so, I'll be on the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I've had to fly to PNQ (Pune) from AMS-India(Bombay or Delhi) or AMS-LHR-India (followed by internal flight), and hated all options re the India main city arribvals of 11pm with local internal India intercity flight following on at 7am.... Especially as after 9hour flight (eg UK-India) as I was expected to forgo 4-5hours in hotel between 11pm-7am in India andwait in airpotrt overnight to transfer ! I can't recommend going via either Delh or Bombay with 3hour road trip at an unearthly early morning time.

Just one direct to PNQ (Pune), a flight on *A, nominally Luftansa from FRA, but in reality operated/flown by " Privatair S.A. " from austria (ie Nikki Lauda Air). Nice modern single aisle planes, 10rows J, rest Economy. Was actually my first experience of 'touchscreen seatback tv screens' baxk in 2010, imo the only way I am willing to travel to Pune, as noway was i taking a 9hr flight/8hour wait/internal-flight in effect 18hours travelling , and non-paid time to boot.

FRA-PNQ leaves FRA at noon, arrives PNQ 0100am. Most good hotels will meet your flight which is recommended with 1am arrival. As a smaller airport, I found PNQ immigration/emmigration/baggage is quick+painless and of course going direct FRA-PNQ means no issues with having to collect bags until arrive at PNQ
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My parents live in Pune so I unfortunately go through the motions on this multiple times a year. The general sentiment on this thread is pretty accurate - there is no good, painless way to do it.

The EY/9W link via AUH is pretty good but the flight timings are rubbish. If you don't mind staying up all night to make the PNQ-AUH leg on the return then go for it.

Fwiw I think connecting via DEL or BLR is probably the way to go (HYD doesn't have too many direct flights to PNQ). You could self connect - BLR is great for that as its all just one terminal building. But it's probably better to fly 9W through DEL to PNQ on a single ticket to minimise hassle. Alternatively, BA has an interline agreement with Vistara, which is a pretty solid domestic carrier (SQ is a JV partner). You could get a TA to price up a ticket which is LHR-DEL on BA and the domestic segments on Vistara (it also flies out of the international T3 in Delhi so no terminal change required).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by rsak
Fwiw I think connecting via DEL or BLR is probably the way to go (HYD doesn't have too many direct flights to PNQ). You could self connect - BLR is great for that as its all just one terminal building. But it's probably better to fly 9W through DEL to PNQ on a single ticket to minimise hassle. Alternatively, BA has an interline agreement with Vistara, which is a pretty solid domestic carrier (SQ is a JV partner). You could get a TA to price up a ticket which is LHR-DEL on BA and the domestic segments on Vistara (it also flies out of the international T3 in Delhi so no terminal change required).
Having used Vistara many times in the last 2 years, I would recommend them. They are certainly trying to position themselves as a premium domestic carrier with different cabin service offerings onboard - in Y, W and J options. Domestic travel in India will never been anything to write home about, but I have been pleased every time I've used their services. And they W option is generally not much of a premium over Y.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Hi all - I happen to live in Pune.

I also get to fly to the EU and the US about ten times a year.

The rule of thumb is getting to Pune kind of sucks. Here's how I do it.

I do not drive (well, get driven) across the pass at night. No way. No How. So to leave I set off at about 5PM for a 2 AM flight from Mumbai. The drive takes between 3 and 6 hours in my experience. You can get into the airport from about 9PM, check in starts about 10:15 then to a lounge.

Coming back (which was the OP's question). Arrive middle of the night. Go to an airport hotel (I like the JW Marriott Sahar) and sleep for a few hours. Have breakfast and hit the road at about 8 AM. This should get you into Pune in one piece by about lunchtime.

If you have business on the Hijewadi/Wakad side of town then I would heartily recommend the Pune JW Marriott.

I have flown from PNQ in the middle of the night and I prefer not to. The airport isn't great, it isn't comfortable (even in the "lounge") and it seems like most flights are delayed.

I have flown BA into Delhi and then taken an Indian airline into PNQ - that works OK. Just be very wary of your checked baggage, The limits on Indian airlines are usually very low.

I haven't tried coming into Mumbai and then taking a domestic airline to PNQ. the timing doesn't line up at all and you have to switch terminals. the terminals are several KM apart.

Hope this helps. Hit me up when you're in town, If I'm here I'll try to join you for a Kingfisher.
RoyalSwazi and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks everyone for the tips! I've done the drive to / from Mumbai to Pune once before and try to avoid it again if I can!

I expect I will probably fly in via Chennai and connect to Pune and then fly home via Delhi. These options seem to offer the shortest layovers.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
We flew Vistara last Monday Goa - Delhi and I am sure we landed at the main International terminal. Vistara also fly Delhi - Pune.
Vistara is my favorite local airline. Although they currently have limited coverage, I look for chances to use them when possible. For my local trips in India, I have also found Indiego and SpiceJet to be quite good when things go well. In fact, I have been stunned with the on-time performance. I have heard horror stories from my local colleagues when there is an IRROPS situation.

Because I have to travel to some of the non-major cities in India, I have used the strategy of flying in to Delhi on the international flight; basing myself at a hotel at Aerocity; and taking short hop trips (day trips or 1-2 nighter) to the other cities, taking only a small rucksack.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by henry999
See below.

I have made this trip many times. In my opinion, ESFLYER95 has the right idea. In my opinion, Banana4321 is not doing anyone any favours with this sort of alarmism. There are people on this forum who look out their window and if it's cloudy they won't step outside because they might get struck by lightning. If that's the way they want to live their lives ... well, it's up to them. But for someone to come here and repeat a phrase such as Death Highway is adding an unnecessary -- and irresponsible -- level of emotion to the whole discussion.
I actually think its good advice to someone that hasn't done the trip before. I point blank refuse to be on that road in the dark and only during the day if it absolutely has to be. I have never felt safe on that road at any time. Everyone is different but that road is dangerous and I have seen enough crashes to put me off it. For people that haven't been to India the term Death Highway could make them look into the driving standards in India and help them decide if they want to experience that or not. I am firmly in the NOT camp. I used to take the extra time and connect.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
The last time I did this was back in 2015 and I flew into BOM then was driven to Pune. I would concur with Harry Harry - it's OK to be driven provided you do it in daytime. Don't even think about travelling that road at night.

Also, make sure you get a car + driver from a reputable agency where the driver is experienced with the road.

I made a mistake once using a driver without experience of the local roads by using a driver from Ahmedabad (Gujarat) to drive me through the Rajastan desert (was visiting an oil well pad). I seriously regretted it after the 3rd time we got stuck in the sand and was at my wit's end after the 5th time. All the time the driver insisted he wouldn't listen to my advice on how to drive on a loose surface (don't gun it when it starts to lose traction!) and he got quite upset at me for trying to tell him how to do his job. Wouldn't let me drive either, it was getting dark, the temperature was starting to plummet and I only had a shirt and trousers on, having left my other clothes at the hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Just reviewing what i'd said in the old thread, and the timings still pretty much stink. I think these flights offer the most friendly connections that can be booked on one ticket on BA. Not necessarily the quickest, but the ones that won't get you into / out of Pune at silly o'clock.

BA 257 LHRDEL 1930 #0820
9W 795 DELPNQ 1245 1455
9W 372 PNQDEL 2005 2215
BA 142 DELLHR 0150 0635

Picking a random date in September seems to be about £620 in Y, £920 in WT+, £2,600 in J

The BA/9W option via AUH doesn't work as the connection leaves AUH 30 mins before the BA flight arrives.

You can book on Etihad though - same dates are about £750 in Y if you can bare the arrival / departure times.

EY 12 LHRAUH 0935 1950
9W 513 AUHPNQ 2220 #0305
9W 514 PNQAUH 0415 0605
EY 19 AUHLHR 0810 1300

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.