Rumour has it that

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Sad to hear this. I met her a couple of times at BA events and she had a brilliantly wry sense of humour.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rapidex
Pay AC 10 grand a year and you could be his PA
I thought Alex was a PA already to Willie? No? Oh...

Sad times for BA. They are certainly hitting turbulence (pun intended)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
I'm surprised she has stuck it out this long. We were talking about the cyclical nature of the airline industry, how carriers goes through phases of slashing costs > bumper profits > customer satisfaction tanks > customers leave in droves > airline has to invest in the experience etc etc, and I said we just have to ride it out with BA, and she replied that she was glad I had said "we". Clearly £600M on some new crockery and enough duvets for 3 aircraft were not enough of a step, or even a shuffle, in the right direction
Without claiming to know anything about this particular situation, there's nothing worse than being handed a big job with big promises, only to arrive and realize that the vision you were hired to implement cannot be implemented. Why? The same people who gave you a pat on the back earlier are unwilling to give you the necessary support to overcome the vested interests opposed to the required changes. As a result you have all this power on paper but not the influence to actually get the mission accomplished.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
I'm surprised she has stuck it out this long. We were talking about the cyclical nature of the airline industry, how carriers goes through phases of slashing costs > bumper profits > customer satisfaction tanks > customers leave in droves > airline has to invest in the experience etc etc, and I said we just have to ride it out with BA, and she replied that she was glad I had said "we". Clearly £600M on some new crockery and enough duvets for 3 aircraft were not enough of a step, or even a shuffle, in the right direction
Me too. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes, but what started off in that blaze of "BAinvestment4U" spin has all turned into a damp squib. That guy who asked the 'Anti-Christ Question' got slapped down quite fast didn't he - 'this is the world of BA' blahdy blah. Still like all good politicians I suppose AC can re-announce the £600m next year.....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Our corporate directory makes interesting ready, I have just found this person and nearly pissed myself.
******** Goodenough Position Mgr Global Mrktng Strat and Capability
Nothing against this person but it says a lot about BA.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 22, 2018 at 2:56 pm Reason: Hide employee's name per FT rules
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Sooooo....

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked?
mjh0 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:10 am
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
I can confirm that the Corporate Directory often makes a good read ;-)The org charts change as often as the days of the week!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Our corporate directory makes interesting ready, I have just found this person and nearly pissed myself.
******** Goodenough Position Mgr Global Mrktng Strat and Capability
Nothing against this person but it says a lot about BA.
Middle name 'Notquite'?

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 22, 2018 at 2:57 pm Reason: Amend quotation
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Must say, I do admire the quality of buzzword bingo played by senior bods at Waterside ; and the apparent time on their hands that allows them to do so.

Somebody obviously thought that ‘Global Marketing Strategy’ wasn’t quite interesting enough on its own. So they added ‘Capability’ (oh, the irony ....) too.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AdBoy
Sad to hear this. I met her a couple of times at BA events and she had a brilliantly wry sense of humour.
+1.

I had an enjoyable conversation with her at the F&M GGL event for the relaunched CW service last year.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:30 am

I wouldn't read too much into this. It's simply the last bit of the CEO reshuffle getting into place. Over the last year or so we had a new CFO, COO, director of Engineering and whatever title the Head Honcho of Commercial is. All of them triggered internal reviews, changes, shuffles and blah-blah-blah. The team I work with jumped directorate, merged with others and got a new boss.

I'm not a fan of Cruz, I've said it times and again. I don't think he's a leader in the same way that Keith was or even what Nick Swift would've been. I've got absolutely no opinion of Carolina, for I don't normally deal with her department but COO, those below him, the boss of Engineering and his immediate cronies are all good in my books, for whatever it's worth. I thought we'd miss greatly people like Garry Copeland and Andy Lord, and I personally do, but their replacements are just as good. They're tough, they're hard, they ask the right questions and make the right demands. BA needs people coming from outside, questioning the status quo and kicking butts when we need to get our butts kicked. I certainly do.

All this is my opinion & not my employer's. Also, the 'kicking butts' is a figure of speech.
mjh0, Worcester and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I'm still surprised that Star Alliance now they have a single terminal at Heathrow haven't started to make a concerted play at the UK market. I guess Lufthansa got so badly burnt from BMI, they're reticent to go back in any significant way.
Lufty only make money when they can push out the competition and dominate, by hook or by crook. Easyjet and Ryanair are firmly entrenched in the UK and it would be very hard to push them out and establish a dominant market position.

The UK is also small and crowded enough that the domestic aviation market is not that large (many journeys are made by land transport) and much of it is also stitched up by Orange and Harp. The remainder is some business travel outside Easyjet and Ryanair - already taken by BA - and feed to long-haul - already mostly taken by BA, some by KLM to AMS, a little taken by Lufty to FRA already, etc.

Star Alliance is also always rather a loose alliance of frenemies, rather than any sort of coherent cabal like BA/AA is. It would take a lot for them all to coordinate enough to run connections *through* LHR, and if you were going to run connections at an airport in Europe why not choose one that is cheaper, more expandable, and more reliable than LHR - which is any of them except LHR!

So I'm not surprised that the UK remains only a Star Alliance end point, not a hub.
hugolover and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
+1.

I had an enjoyable conversation with her at the F&M GGL event for the relaunched CW service last year.
I did as well... lovely person, but seemed like just another BA cheerleader... Oh, I do miss Frank vd Post.. Dutch people... outspoken and brutally honest...
mjh0 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by 13900
the boss of Engineering and his immediate cronies are all good in my books, for whatever it's worth
Have you met him?

I’ll agree, when he first came he said the right things but I think the lack of progress on simple issues is starting to change minds. We are all human and we all have flaws but some people can react to pressure in a way that alienates those they need to rely on the most.

’nuf said. I’m out of the place in 3 weeks, and it’s not a moment too soon!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by alextheengineer

Have you met him?

I’ll agree, when he first came he said the right things but I think the lack of progress on simple issues is starting to change minds. We are all human and we all have flaws but some people can react to pressure in a way that alienates those they need to rely on the most.

’nuf said. I’m out of the place in 3 weeks, and it’s not a moment too soon!
I am extremely pleased you have posted in the darkness of today’s extremely sad news, as I’m sure others are too. Sorry to refer to a sensitive subject. My greatest respect and peace to anyone involved today at BA

Anyhow, good luck with your next move.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.