Search

Finding Premium fare deals: ORD-LHR return

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec club Bronze
Finding Premium fare deals: ORD-LHR return

Hi,
Longtime lurker on the forum, I note with some interest the premium fare deals many find. My regular flight back to see relatives is ORD-LHR, typically during the summer months and also around the tail end of December. Does anyone have any tips on how to score the best deals in J or above? I am flexible on stopovers and have done the above routing via DUB on EI but I wonder if there are any "hidden" deals out there and how to find them. Google Flights? ITA Matrix? Hope to learn a bit more and perhaps go via a new routing like OSL or AMS.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Hi Wyatt82, take a look at Premium Fare Deals | 2018 edition also use the Matrix / Google Flights to look at starting in ABZ or PRG (which seem to be giving good prices ATM).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
If starting in ORD, this maybe a little tricky to find, versus starting in the UK or EU, as I recall many USA posters still awaiting a decent ex-USA sale!

But the thread posted above is a good start. You can also track fares (with notifications) on Google flights and you will be alerted when fares on the route saved increase or decrease.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:44 am

Ahhh.... good point, I was looking at this from LHR not the other way round - Doh!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec club Bronze
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Ahhh.... good point, I was looking at this from LHR not the other way round - Doh!
thanks, I spotted the MAN-ORD deal on AA yesterday good find, it's 4K doing it the other way round at the moment!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:58 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wyatt82
My regular flight back to see relatives is ORD-LHR, typically during the summer months and also around the tail end of December.
If your schedule allows you to plan and book well in advance, you may be able to nest trips and/or position once to Europe (using Avios) and then book returns to ORD, starting in places like ARN, OSL, CPH, DUB... (We're currently based in the US and have visited all of the above cities, and some others, these past few years, saving money and/or earningTPs.)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Wyatt82
thanks, I spotted the MAN-ORD deal on AA yesterday good find, it's 4K doing it the other way round at the moment!
EEK! That's high prices!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:08 am
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
There's not a lot of great options, but if you can make your own way to the east coast, then JFK-DUB is around $2300 on AA in August, rather than $3300 for ORD-LHR on BA.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by NNH
There's not a lot of great options, but if you can make your own way to the east coast, then JFK-DUB is around $2300 on AA in August, rather than $3300 for ORD-LHR on BA.
There is never good prices out of the USA due to the lack of competition on legacy carriers, What I recommended someone do who I met in the Doha Lounge when he had to visit Dublin was to use this miles / avios to get to Dub then do a return with a long gap in the middle if he knew the dates of both visits meaning you do the original flight to and from on miles and the commute TO the USA . Hope that makes sense?

Guy said it was going to save him a fortune and the miles earned doing the return from EU / UK is enough to pay for the next mileage flight
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Would you consider MAD? I'm booked NYC-MAD in June in F for ~$US3600rtn. Similar price from MIA. Dates wide open. It's not as good as deals in the other direction, but it's a decent option for guaranteed F and tier points ex-USA.

ORD-MAD is $4400. If you can position to MIA/NYC separately, that's an option too. Check google flights. https://goo.gl/flights/kYMCd
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:24 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
There is never good prices out of the USA [...]
That is too sweeping, although it's true that attractively priced TATL fares originating in the US are far less frequent than in the other direction. That said, OP might want to look at the following:

The "Premium Fare Deals" forum

(e.g. Ba/aa/ib was-ath ~$2150 j)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...vacations.html

and

IB nonstop JFK-MAD $810 in PE
(bearing in mind that a cheap WT+ fare plus J award availability plus Avios can be a good option).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Could you fly from Inverness?

I think it may be slightly cheaper if you route INV-MAN-ORD but not by much, BA will sell you that ticket but there's no BA metal as it's a Loganair flight INV-MAN and AA MAN-ORD. It's a wee bit out of the way if you're not in Scotland but Inverness is nice in the summer, honest!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by fnl111

The OP is flying FROM the US to the UK not the other way around!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fnl111
Well, he could...

OP, do you have miles to burn? You could do an ORD-XXX return award ticket and nest an ex-EU cheap J ticket in between. And go to Europe twice (You mentioned July & Dec). Just another option.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The OP is flying FROM the US to the UK not the other way around!
Whoops!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.