FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LON-SYD-AKL-??? - OW routing ideas please, help! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1893880-lon-syd-akl-ow-routing-ideas-please-help.html)

PAL62V Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere (Post 29416027)
If you are looking for cheap J. QR usually have cheapest deals to SYD/AKL every so often, common deals are EX OSL and ARN.

What's the easiest and earliest way of hearing of these special deals on QR?

Mapman Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by simon1234567 (Post 29417420)

Premium Fare Deals on this forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/) and Head for Points.

PAL62V Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mapman (Post 29417463)

Premium Fare Deals on this forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/) and Head for Points.

So many forums! Great - thanks for the tip.

Leaping_Deere Feb 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by simon1234567 (Post 29417420)

As you can see on the premium fare deal forum at the moment QR have a good price to Adelaide so if you're flexible something will appear along these lines.

QR Valentine’s Deals from ARN/OSL - Adelaide from 1333 GBP pp

BD1959 Feb 15, 2018 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 29417381)
And EK, SQ, CI (China Airlines), LA and D7 (Air Asia) also fly trans Tasman.

EK are stopping TT effective 25-Mar-18 (with the exception of SYD-CHC)
SQ are stopping CBR-WEL after April 30 2018

Regards,

BD

flygod Feb 15, 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mangochutney (Post 29414829)
Oh this would be great and I'll def look into it, except I've already got a Gold so wouldn't get the signup bonus, and am not 100% I'd be eligible for Plat anyway (I've just graduated after going back to uni... draw your own conclusions ;)). Is there a similar trick with Gold?

I believe you can upgrade the Gold to Plat and get a nice bonus! Perhaps a search here on on Head For Points will explain, or even just give Amex a call.

I understand Amex don't really worry about income anymore either!

So maybe refer your mum etc.....!

mangochutney Feb 19, 2018 3:27 am

Hi everyone, thanks for your help on this - lots of good ideas to look at! :)

So I have spied the Chinese New Year deal on BA, and (for the first time ever) have been able to get the deal to work for our potential dates. Obviously this deal won't last forever, but seeing as one of our (my) stopover ideas was Beijing and the Great Wall, wondering if there's any inventive routings PEK/PVG to/from SYD/AKL?

flatlander Feb 19, 2018 3:45 am

If you want to visit the Great Wall, go to PEK. PVG is a long way away :)

CX (or KA, Cathay Dragon, their regional subsidiary) would take you PEK-HKG-AKL and several carriers would take you PEK-(CX/KA)-HKG-(various)-SYD

mangochutney Feb 19, 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 29433160)
If you want to visit the Great Wall, go to PEK. PVG is a long way away :)

Of course - am thinking for the way back! :)

flatlander Feb 19, 2018 4:00 am

In both PEK and PVG you can do transit without visa (assuming you have a suitably powerful passport, UK will do), check the FT Destination China forum for the gory details. You do not need a single ticket for this, a separate onward flight is fine. The Chinese immigration authorities only check that you do not exceed the time limit and that you are generally not undesirable from their point of view; it's basically a rubber stamp exercise for most people. This alleviates the cost and time of getting Chinese visas if the length of the TWOV is sufficient for your needs. I will say that you can hit most of the highlights of Beijing in 2-3 days: Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Great Wall, walk around the hutongs, hit a few markets, eat a pile of Chinese food.

BA to PEK often has good fares, upgrade space, reward availability, etc. I've done BA to PEK followed by CX or JAL to HKG or Japan respectively a couple of times. Note that TWOV must be *transit* onwards to a third destination (HKG counts), no return trips allowed. However with both JAL and CX available within Oneworld for regional connections and QF onwards to SYD, it's rarely difficult to arrange for a transit.

mangochutney Mar 30, 2018 8:46 am

Hello everyone, thanks for all your help!

Just bumping this to see if there's any other new deals that have surfaced in time for Easter that I should keep an eye out for? We're doing logistics this weekend so would be good to know if there's anything out there.

It's fair to say everybody concerned isn't exactly sold on a DOH stopover at the moment, so I suspect we might be more likely to go for CX in PE and try and upgrade post-purchase. a. is such an upgrade possible? b. I am open to being sold on the perks of a DOH stopover (including ease or otherwise of getting to DXB) if they exist... ;)

mikeyfly Mar 30, 2018 8:50 am

Couple of weeks ago QR were selling Manchester to Auckland in business for £1300. Outstanding, and they seem to have an incredible deal there every few weeks from a European starting point. Next time it comes up grab it and don’t think twice. Work things out once you’ve got the long haul sorted :)

WorldLux Mar 30, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mangochutney (Post 29584111)
Just bumping this to see if there's any other new deals that have surfaced in time for Easter that I should keep an eye out for? We're doing logistics this weekend so would be good to know if there's anything out there.

Air Chinas has deals from Germany (FRA/DUS/MUC). If you live with it not being a routing on OW, that you'll be flying CA via China (with all the drawbacks that come with it), and provided your traveling dates don't fall into the blackout periods, then you could fly to AKL for a mere 1,762€ (~£1,540).

I've checked random dates in August and they have the 747 (without saying whether it's their newer 747-8 or an aging -400) on the FRA-PEK leg and the 787-9 on the PEK-AKL leg. On the dates I checked, you'd have nearly 14hrs in PEK on the outbound and 9hrs in PEK on the inbound.

Personally I'd wait to see if QR makes another sale. The CA sale repeats itself every month (i.e. you wouldn't have to decide now as the offers likely to reappear towards the end of April).

libertyuk Mar 30, 2018 3:22 pm

CX also codeshares on NZ flights HKG-AKL (but you can only earn on CX on that). As another has said, QF codeshares on EK are available, and EK still flies SYD-CHC as well as DXB-AKL, so you can go T-T on a QF codeshare on an EK A380, otherwise there is no shortage of T-T flights on QF from AKL/WLG/CHC, but only AKL has A330s. LA also has a single SYD-AKL daily as has been mentioned.

Of course there is also MH if you dare (both KUL to SYD and AKL). Another option is JL, with good fares (and excellent product) from SYD and MEL through Tokyo, and of course JL, BA and AY through to LHR.

KARFA Mar 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk (Post 29585465)
CX also codeshares on NZ flights HKG-AKL (so you can earn Avios on that). As another has said, QF codeshares on EK are available, and EK still flies SYD-CHC as well as DXB-AKL, so you can go T-T on a QF codeshare on an EK A380, otherwise there is no shortage of T-T flights on QF from AKL/WLG/CHC, but only AKL has A330s. LA also has a single SYD-AKL daily as has been mentioned.

Of course there is also MH if you dare (both KUL to SYD and AKL). Another option is JL, with good fares (and excellent product) from SYD and MEL through Tokyo, and of course JL, BA and AY through to LHR.

a CX marketed and NZ operated flight wouldn’t earn anything when crediting to BAEC. As a rule oneworld partner marketed but not oneworld partner operated flights earn nothing - the exception is QF marketed and non oneworld operated flights which do earn TPs and avios.