totally full flight??

Reply

Old Feb 14, 18, 1:18 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 3,220
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
No, that is an urban myth. You enter a country when you enter its airspace (in the case of an aircraft).
ISTR instances of aircraft carrying passengers of interest to territory A being requested (under escort by air force craft) to land while overflying from territority B to C so that they can be detained. More urban myth?
EsherFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 18, 2:24 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is a specific issue here in that the passengers likely to be in this position could be shipping crew with limited travel documentation allowing them to joining vessels in Gibraltar, and AGP is in the habit of simply refusing admission. At which point BA can only return them to London. Spain, like all ILO members, has to recognise the Seamen's Passbook, but it also asks for a letter of invitation from a Spanish maritime agency giving details of the Spanish port involved. Given the legal status of Gibraltar, the Guardia Civil at Málaga have a habit of being unhelpful. Philippine citizens are often affected by this.
CWS is correct. I have involvements in shipping and the arrangements made with BA for the corporate deal allow for this scenario - Spain won't let people in, so BA offloads them if there is any reasonable chance of diversion. The companies involved accept this and all those involved are aware. I have never heard of 'ordinary' passengers being subject to it.
Confus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 18, 12:32 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, CAMRA
Posts: 1,090
Nearly all flights LHR to Tokyo full on 17 March

Only BA7 is showing any availability (F2, J3), all of the other OW flights are sold out (according to Expert Flyer). Is Vernal Equinox Day (21 March) the culprit or am I missing something?

Anyone getting bumped will be mightily miffed because there will be no alternatives on offer... even HEL and AMS (KLM) are full that day.

What is the current advice on avoiding the offload? Ms G50 is Gold and she made the booking for us... we have CW seats reserved and are on an ex-EU from AMS, BA429 then BA5.
ginger50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 18, 1:13 pm
  #19  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,142
Originally Posted by ginger50 View Post
Only BA7 is showing any availability (F2, J3), all of the other OW flights are sold out (according to Expert Flyer). Is Vernal Equinox Day (21 March) the culprit or am I missing something?

Anyone getting bumped will be mightily miffed because there will be no alternatives on offer... even HEL and AMS (KLM) are full that day.

What is the current advice on avoiding the offload? Ms G50 is Gold and she made the booking for us... we have CW seats reserved and are on an ex-EU from AMS, BA429 then BA5.
I wouldn't worry too much given MsG50 is Gold and your Silver in CW. It's extremely unlikely you'd be affected and given it's well still 9 days away the flight loads could change again and most likely they will given it's a heavy business route too.

That is around the time Cherry Blossom season starts and at it's peak the week or two after so that could explain as it's an extremely busy time there. A friend of mine worked in Japan for many years as an English Teacher and this is direct from him after I texted him asking about this but there could be other things going on as well of course.
PETER01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 18, 2:29 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,884
Originally Posted by ginger50 View Post
Only BA7 is showing any availability (F2, J3) ...
Likewise, I really wouldn't worry about this. There's too much angst here about downgrades and offloading. We're routinely on flights on days when every flight on the route is zero in every booking class, and there hasn't yet been even a whiff of trouble on any of them (and most of the flights don't actually go out full anyway, even then). That's not to say it's impossible, but I really can't see the point of worrying about it when there is still space for sale.
PETER01 likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 18, 3:53 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, CAMRA
Posts: 1,090
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much given MsG50 is Gold and your Silver in CW. It's extremely unlikely you'd be affected and given it's well still 9 days away the flight loads could change again and most likely they will given it's a heavy business route too.

That is around the time Cherry Blossom season starts and at it's peak the week or two after so that could explain as it's an extremely busy time there. A friend of mine worked in Japan for many years as an English Teacher and this is direct from him after I texted him asking about this but there could be other things going on as well of course.

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Likewise, I really wouldn't worry about this. There's too much angst here about downgrades and offloading. We're routinely on flights on days when every flight on the route is zero in every booking class, and there hasn't yet been even a whiff of trouble on any of them (and most of the flights don't actually go out full anyway, even then). That's not to say it's impossible, but I really can't see the point of worrying about it when there is still space for sale.
Thank you both for the words of reassurance, it will be interesting to see just how full the flight really is and of course the Cherry Blossom!
ginger50 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread