Bags that clip together: 1 or 2 bags

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Bags that clip together: 1 or 2 bags

Hi All.

A fried was asked at the checking desk to separate the interlinked bags in her ski bag and pay for the bags as individual bags.

She has this https://www.snokart.com/collections/...roducts/kart-6

I'm posting in case anyone knows if this is correct and whether there are specific terms that allow or disallow it. It would save her having the same thing happening in 6 weeks time.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
well from the pictures you posted it appears to have been made up of 3 separate bags attached by straps rather than zipped together.

On that basis anyone could strap two bags together and say it's only one bag
orbitmic and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:10 pm Reason: clicked post too soon
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Sounds rather mean . I'd probably put cling film around to look like a security wrap and hide the joins .
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:54 am
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I second the cling wrap idea. Flew with a friend to Kingston last year and he cling foil wrapped a car boot shelf to a duffle bag. No issues with that at check-in, was treated as one piece .

Last edited by MrsBiggles; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Did you answer your own question in your thread title?

’bags’
orbitmic and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Did you answer your own question in your thread title?

’bags’
Probably. She is in the BAEC but not sure of status and has flown with this bag on BA 5x in the past. It was just the Checkin at VCE that was giving her hastle.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think the VCE checkin staff were making up their own ideas in this case. I'm sure some airlines who will ship skis for free and don't want people taking advantage of this for extra other luggage would like the view expressed by the VIE staff in this case. However, specifically for skis, the BA website says:

• Your skis/snowboard and boots can be packed in the same checked baggage with your clothes as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum dimensions of 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) and weighs no more than your weight allowance. If the weight is exceeded, you’ll be charged extra at the airport.
So you can cram as much as you like into your ski bag as long as you don't blow the above size limit or your weight limit (23kg for peons, 32kg for Club Europe or Silver or higher status).

In future, she'll be wanting to pull out this web page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...al-instruments (section "Ski and snowboarding equipment").

Last edited by flatlander; Feb 13, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by flatlander
I think the VIE checkin staff were making up their own ideas in this case. I'm sure some airlines who will ship skis for free and don't want people taking advantage of this for extra other luggage would like the view expressed by the VIE staff in this case.
OP says VCE <refrains from making waterski joke>
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
OP says VCE <refrains from making waterski joke>
Ah, I've corrected that now. Fortunately my point still stands.
NeverFirst likes this.

Last edited by flatlander; Feb 13, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Ah, I've corrected that now. Fortunately my point still stands.
No you are right. If you go skiing in the dolomites the landing at VCE then up to Cortina then over to the sella ronda is heaven. I'm going that way next week. Whitedot preachers, Salomon X race and Kastle FX95HP ready to rip :-)

The real problem is the clip on bags with snokart. they call that one bag "subject to airline rules" in small print. But VCE call it three bags clipped together.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
The real problem is the clip on bags with snokart. they call that one bag "subject to airline rules" in small print. But VCE call it three bags clipped together.
The website states " snow sport bag comprising of 3 individual bags " - seems valid for it to be treated as 3 individual bags

Seems little difference to using cable ties to connect 2 suitcases together and then trying to argue it as being 1 suitcase
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The website states " snow sport bag comprising of 3 individual bags " - seems valid for it to be treated as 3 individual bags

Seems little difference to using cable ties to connect 2 suitcases together and then trying to argue it as being 1 suitcase
They say on their website.
subject to airline restrictions you have the choice of checking in one (all combined) bag or a wheelie bag and separate ski/board bag.

This can help minimise airliner surcharges.
So it seems they are indicating that putting them together = 1 bag. Now Im not that impressed with "Maybee etc" so I take it with a pinch of salt. But others may.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
So it seems they are indicating that putting them together = 1 bag. Now Im not that impressed with "Maybee etc" so I take it with a pinch of salt. But others may.
It only indicates that it may be possible to check it in as either

(a) a single item if the airline chooses to allow it or
(b) multiple items
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

Airlines usually treat the sort of bag that has a zip off daypack as one piece of baggage. So it is in line with this to treat this ski bag with zip off other bags as one piece of baggage also.

On several previous occasions BA has treated this as one bag.

In addition, BA specifically allow other items packed with the ski bag, as I pointed out.

The VCE check in assistant was contrary to the spirit of the BA baggage rules, contrary to repeated other BA staff practice and contrary to how they treat other bags with detachable parts or even disparate items wrapped up together (items plastic-wrapped together).

I don't consider your (frequently dispensed) contrarian Devil's Advocacy is realistic or helpful here.
Stez likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.