FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   British?? Airways (Glasgow-Belfast) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1893769-british-airways-glasgow-belfast.html)

wanderingjock Feb 13, 2018 1:15 pm

British?? Airways (Glasgow-Belfast)

Not a single flight from largest city in Scotland to largest city in N.Ireland?? English Airlines more like. :(

fife Feb 13, 2018 1:19 pm

I used to care about this..... but why bother any more?

There are plenty of other low cost carriers to choose from....

madfish Feb 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Erm, thanks for the insight. There are also a number of cities in England that BA don’t offer flights to other than LHR.

You can always look elsewhere.

Prospero Feb 13, 2018 1:20 pm

No direct BA flights but a one-stopper via London Heathrow is an option

Geordie405 Feb 13, 2018 1:23 pm

You could also take the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast?

simons1 Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 29412401)
Not a single flight from largest city in Scotland to largest city in N.Ireland?? English Airlines more like. :(

And?? Perhaps you missed that BA is now a private sector company operated for profit, not some public service set up.

wanderingjock Feb 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 29412428)
You could also take the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast?

I'm going from LHR, family member going from Glasgow - Boat will probably be the winner Geordie405. Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!

BertieBadger Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 29412472)
I'm going from LHR, family member going from Glasgow - Boat will probably be the winner Geordie405. Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!

This is FlyerTalk! They'd do it for the Tier Points :D

wanderingjock Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29412456)

And?? Perhaps you missed that BA is now a private sector company operated for profit, not some public service set up.

LOL! Public Service? there is plenty traffic between the two cities, business and leisure. Missed opportunity for margin methinks.

The _Banking_Scot Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 29412472)

Hi,

Well a potential answer ( as this is a FF forum) is for frequent flyer miles or tier points ( I personally would not do this but there are posts here about doing DOM-DOM connections via LHR T5

BA did have a good domestic network years ago but with the rise of the low cost carries , BA decided to utilise their resources elsewhere

Regards

TBS

tinkicker Feb 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 29412418)
No direct BA flights but a one-stopper via London Heathrow is an option

Lets face it BA is basically London Airways, it probably tells us something about the UK economy more generally. It's a shame they've never been able to get the regional operation to pay sufficiently.

By the way I recently looked at getting from Bristol to Glasgow on BA (for tier points and amusement value) ... the route offered was BRS-DUB-LHR-GLA and took about as long as driving. I may yet do it if the price drops a bit.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 29412481)
LOL! Public Service? there is plenty traffic between the two cities, business and leisure. Missed opportunity for margin methinks.

Now I'm not sure about much these days, but I know for sure that if there was money in it, BA (or BACF) would be in there like a shot. Given the airline's overheads, that is why you need to look at the orange one instead. The world changed after 9/11 and realistically there's no going back. The second largest city in the UK only has very sporadic and seasonal BACF services.

simons1 Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 29412481)

Clearly BA disagree though. I'm sure such routes are kept under review and if there really was a good volume of high margin traffic they would be onto it by now.

wanderingjock Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29412512)
Now I'm not sure about much these days, but I know for sure that if there was money in it, BA (or BACF) would be in there like a shot. Given the airline's overheads, that is why you need to look at the orange one instead. The world changed after 9/11 and realistically there's no going back. The second largest city in the UK only has very sporadic and seasonal BACF services.

Bucket List #32 : c-w-s replies to a thread that I start on FT. TICK :D

flatlander Feb 13, 2018 1:45 pm

There might be lots of traffic but there's clearly not much money or BA would be in there to take the money off people willing to pay BA fares just like c-w-s says.

Just because there are lots of people, and even lots of people that travel, doesn't mean there's any money to be made from it. That's air travel in a nutshell.