Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British?? Airways (Glasgow-Belfast)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose. MSWMC
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Not a single flight from largest city in Scotland to largest city in N.Ireland?? English Airlines more like.
Belfast is not in Britain.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HuwieHex
pedantically you are correct as NI is part of the United Kingdom, although the inhabitants(*) are still technically referred to as British

* without wishing to start a whole other issue, I acknowledge that a large portion of the inhabitants of NI may identify themselves as Irish....

😊
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:39 pm

I think there's traffic but if you look at both markets, it looks like low cost traffic primarily. Easyjet has a number of daily flights there (2-4 depending on day of the week) and then of course there's the ferry which goes six times a day (and allows people to take their car as well). Let's not kid ourselves here, BA finds it difficult to compete vs lower cost alternatives such as the LCCs in markets where business travel isn't significant.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by HuwieHex
'Britain' is generally used as a synonym for the UK - in general speech and by newspapers and broadcasters.

'Great Britain' is more specific for the island.

Belfast is certainly not in Great Britain but it is probably in Britain.

Leaving that aside, did BA ever fly GLA-BFS? Even in the good old days?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:10 pm

Flybe also flies GLA-BHD. So two British* airlines to choose from. I'm not sure you need a third.

(*at least for now)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:28 pm

Damn, I thought INV-BGO was the worst route in Scotland.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
What a bizarre thread.

There are plenty of flights from Glasgow to Belfast, why do you want BA to operate them?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies

'Britain' is generally used as a synonym for the UK - in general speech and by newspapers and broadcasters.

'Great Britain' is more specific for the island.

Belfast is certainly not in Great Britain but it is probably in Britain.

Leaving that aside, did BA ever fly GLA-BFS? Even in the good old days?
Definitely as British Airways Express (operated by Loganair from BHD) and I am sure they competed with Loganair (BA from BFS) years before.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Jesus wept, it’s a 25 minute flight. Use easyJet or Flybe.
ajamieson and Sealink like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only is Belfast not in Britain, but British Airways is not British. It is owned by IAG, a Spanish company and is simply named "British Airways" .

As to the specific route, given that BA serves both cities, one may presume that it is aware that they exist. Any fool can fill an aircraft, the question is whether it is a profitable route and that means a look at PRASM and what other routes or frequencies BA must give up to service this one.

Given the other options for this micro-hop, I doubt that Spanish British Airways will be serving it any time soon.
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Not only is Belfast not in Britain...
Belfast IS in Britain, as I said above, Britain=UK for most people. Belfast is not in Great Britain.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
GLA-BFS On BA was my very first ever flight in 1989 on an ATP. Was excited and disappointed at the same time. Excited as it was my first time flying, disappointed as it wasn’t a big jet plane ��. Was amazed at how smooth the flight was though.

S
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Whimsically, it would be nice if the occasional LON-XXX-LON could become LON-XXX-YYY-LON to link a few of the "Northern Powerhouse" cities. There are probably staff and execs flying those combinations as a part of their working week, so a bit of analysis could give BA some interesting options.

Double TP on XXX-YYY of course when booked on triangle to make up for the lost segment .
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:57 am

Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!
You must be new here. Give it a while and you too will think it's normal to fly from London to Oslo and back in order to then get a cheaper flight to New York via Jakarta. (And then come straight back on the same plane.)
Sealink and squawk like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not a single flight from largest city in Scotland to largest city in N.Ireland?? English Airlines more like.
Don't those Europeans always want to take the train rather than fly? <just kidding>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.