Wiki Posts
Search

British?? Airways (Glasgow-Belfast)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
British?? Airways (Glasgow-Belfast)

Not a single flight from largest city in Scotland to largest city in N.Ireland?? English Airlines more like.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

I used to care about this..... but why bother any more?

There are plenty of other low cost carriers to choose from....
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Erm, thanks for the insight. There are also a number of cities in England that BA don’t offer flights to other than LHR.

You can always look elsewhere.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

No direct BA flights but a one-stopper via London Heathrow is an option
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
You could also take the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast?
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Not a single flight from largest city in Scotland to largest city in N.Ireland?? English Airlines more like.
And?? Perhaps you missed that BA is now a private sector company operated for profit, not some public service set up.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
You could also take the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast?
I'm going from LHR, family member going from Glasgow - Boat will probably be the winner Geordie405. Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!
Pack likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
I'm going from LHR, family member going from Glasgow - Boat will probably be the winner Geordie405. Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!
This is FlyerTalk! They'd do it for the Tier Points
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1

And?? Perhaps you missed that BA is now a private sector company operated for profit, not some public service set up.
LOL! Public Service? there is plenty traffic between the two cities, business and leisure. Missed opportunity for margin methinks.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Well a potential answer ( as this is a FF forum) is for frequent flyer miles or tier points ( I personally would not do this but there are posts here about doing DOM-DOM connections via LHR T5

BA did have a good domestic network years ago but with the rise of the low cost carries , BA decided to utilise their resources elsewhere

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
No direct BA flights but a one-stopper via London Heathrow is an option
Lets face it BA is basically London Airways, it probably tells us something about the UK economy more generally. It's a shame they've never been able to get the regional operation to pay sufficiently.

By the way I recently looked at getting from Bristol to Glasgow on BA (for tier points and amusement value) ... the route offered was BRS-DUB-LHR-GLA and took about as long as driving. I may yet do it if the price drops a bit.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
LOL! Public Service? there is plenty traffic between the two cities, business and leisure. Missed opportunity for margin methinks.
Now I'm not sure about much these days, but I know for sure that if there was money in it, BA (or BACF) would be in there like a shot. Given the airline's overheads, that is why you need to look at the orange one instead. The world changed after 9/11 and realistically there's no going back. The second largest city in the UK only has very sporadic and seasonal BACF services.
HIDDY, Ruth4325 and wanderingjock like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:39 pm

Clearly BA disagree though. I'm sure such routes are kept under review and if there really was a good volume of high margin traffic they would be onto it by now.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now I'm not sure about much these days, but I know for sure that if there was money in it, BA (or BACF) would be in there like a shot. Given the airline's overheads, that is why you need to look at the orange one instead. The world changed after 9/11 and realistically there's no going back. The second largest city in the UK only has very sporadic and seasonal BACF services.
Bucket List #32 : c-w-s replies to a thread that I start on FT. TICK
Cris L, LCY8737, RDinJER and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There might be lots of traffic but there's clearly not much money or BA would be in there to take the money off people willing to pay BA fares just like c-w-s says.

Just because there are lots of people, and even lots of people that travel, doesn't mean there's any money to be made from it. That's air travel in a nutshell.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.