British?? Airways (Glasgow-Belfast)

Old Feb 14, 18, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold
I do wish there were more BA codeshares with other carriers to close gaps in the network outside London. It would go some way to stemming the flow of business customers toward EasyJet Plus.
Old Feb 14, 18, 3:07 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by wanderingjock View Post
I'm going from LHR, family member going from Glasgow - Boat will probably be the winner Geordie405. Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!
i travelled from Heathrow to London City via Manchester before and back in the day of a reward flight saver with free connections I have done this route too. A bargain for 4500 Avios and £17.50
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:38 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post

'Britain' is generally used as a synonym for the UK - in general speech and by newspapers and broadcasters.

'Great Britain' is more specific for the island.

Belfast is certainly not in Great Britain but it is probably in Britain.

Leaving that aside, did BA ever fly GLA-BFS? Even in the good old days?
Technically speaking, Britain is the one large island. Great Britain includes the outlying islands, eg Wight, Anglesey, the Scottish islands etc. So Belfast is in the UK, but not Britain (or Great Britain).

signol
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
Definitely as British Airways Express (operated by Loganair from BHD) and I am sure they competed with Loganair (BA from BFS) years before.
I recall as a wee lad when frequenting Bearsden (that place has changed over the years I fear) that BA operated at around 20.00, 3 viscount services that departed GLA for INV, ABZ and BFS, I recall that lovely prop noise as they climbed out from Runway 06 at that time, low flying over Bearsden and on clear evenings, and I seem to recall many, most likley flying VFR to all 3 destinations. Times have indeed changed....
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:59 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wanderingjock View Post
I'm going from LHR, family member going from Glasgow - Boat will probably be the winner Geordie405. Why on earth would someone go via LHR from GLA to Belfast - look at the map!!!!
I have done the GLA to BHD via LHR several times, granted mostly back when the RFS included a free domestic flight. The fact is that sometimes you can still fly GLA - Belfast cheaper at the last minute on a RFS than paying EZY or Fly Maybe fares. Having said that I have also paid to do this trip via LHR as I needed the tier points. I remember when a flight on GO from GLA to BFS was £25 return including a bag and an allocated seat.

In fact BA used to fly from GLA to Aldergrove (BFS), the harbour airport (BHD) and to Eglington Airport (LDY) whilst also offering flights to PIK (Glasgow Prestwick) from BHD... not sure if they had a PIK BFS flight though. There was a point during the troubles when the BA Shuttle from Heathrow would position BFS to GLA to park overnight, and indeed this was used to ferry a cargo of eels to Glasgow each evening. The aircraft would then position back to BFS in the morning to operate the first BFS - LHR shuttle. So they are aware that the route exists, and much as I would like them to fly it, I don't think they could compete with EZY and Flybe, certainly now that they have BOB there would be no USP or reason for people to choose BA over the cheaper alternative, not to mention that fact that the trolley probably wouldn't get past row 1.
Sealink and nivsy like this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:07 am

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
Originally Posted by HuwieHex View Post
Belfast is not in Britain.
Originally Posted by signol View Post
Technically speaking, Britain is the one large island. Great Britain includes the outlying islands
I don't think you can say Britain has a technical meaning, but as noted it is used as a synonym for the United Kingdom. The British Isles is the archipelago of islands off the north west coast of the European continent, of which the largest is known as Great Britain.

The terminology is relatively simple compared to what residents of some low lying territory across the North Sea have to contend with.

EDIT: This might humorously help clarify, albeit including a number of minor errors:

Last edited by Mixbury; Feb 14, 18 at 6:31 am
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
Belfast IS in Britain, as I said above, Britain=UK for most people. Belfast is not in Great Britain.

You can say it as many times as you like, but it doesn't make it true. If you look at your passport it says United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Belfast is in Northern Ireland. It is therefore not in Great Britain, or Britain.
HuwieHex and wanderingjock like this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
The Glasgow - Belfast route is a popular one amongst normal leisure travellers as well as Rangers supporters....an ideal route for the low cost airlines who serve it adequately.
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:33 am

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
Deleted
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:52 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum

Collectively, GB, Ireland, IOM, & CI, etc., are the British Isles, even if not all on the island known as GB. Let's move on...

As for GLA-BFS service, think of it this way. If you own a multi-million £ asset, like an aircraft, where are you going to put it? On a route that makes the most money or one that probably won't make much?

Can BA make more money by flying through London, or by linking regional cities?

Now, for arguments sake, let's say BA have almost unlimited aircraft and have maximised all possible routes out of London, so they look for the next best thing. It's that linking regional cities or flying to sunshine destinations, perhaps from the regions?

Like CWS said, if there was money in it, BA would be there. The margin must be minimal and/or there's a better (more profitable) use for the limited asset, that it doesn't make sense, especially if two other British airlines are already there. BA can't be omnipresent...
HIDDY and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy View Post
You can say it as many times as you like, but it doesn't make it true. If you look at your passport it says United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Belfast is in Northern Ireland. It is therefore not in Great Britain, or Britain.
It's a particularly pedantic argument however..as it's not Britain Airways but "British Airways" and the adjective British tends to be used to indicate that something or someone is part of or attached to the United Kingdom i.e. "A British company" would describe a company that could potentially be located in any constituent part of the United Kingdom.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'm proud to be a Scot but maybe one should be asking why Loganair 'Scotlands airline' doesn't serve the route?
Sealink and JAXBA like this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post

Collectively, GB, Ireland, IOM, & CI, etc., are the British Isles, even if not all on the island known as GB. Let's move on...

As for GLA-BFS service, think of it this way. If you own a multi-million £ asset, like an aircraft, where are you going to put it? On a route that makes the most money or one that probably won't make much?

Can BA make more money by flying through London, or by linking regional citibbes?

Now, for arguments sake, let's say BA have almost unlimited aircraft and have maximised all possible routes out of London, so they look for the next best thing. It's that linking regional cities or flying to sunshine destinations, perhaps from the regions?

Like CWS said, if there was money in it, BA would be there. The margin must be minimal and/or there's a better (more profitable) use for the limited asset, that it doesn't make sense, especially if two other British airlines are already there. BA can't be omnipresent...
This is why ven diagrams were invented. If BA thought they could make money about of a direct flight they would schedule one! Until then, content yourself with LHR and be grateful you’re not back in the days of being segregated into Belfast security lines and looked upon as terrorists in waiting...awww them were the days.
Old Feb 16, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Originally Posted by Ruth4325 View Post

This is why ven diagrams were invented. If BA thought they could make money about of a direct flight they would schedule one! Until then, content yourself with LHR and be grateful you’re not back in the days of being segregated into Belfast security lines and looked upon as terrorists in waiting...awww them were the days.
Ah you mean as it is now when entering USA and often when leaving!
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 10:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
If memory serves me right, Great Britain is the big island on the right and Little Britain the smaller island on the left.

Well that's what the Romans decided. So I blame Al Italia for the lack of a BA route between Scotland and Northern Island.
wanderingjock likes this.

Search this Thread