Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, would it be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hey, we are talking about getting the OP to Gold. A bit less of the Y travel, please

The crunch is that getting to Gold does really require flying up front, in J. Realistically, the OP has to consider doing that to earn the TPs ... and in the process enjoy the comfort of a flat bed, and BA (or oneworld) delicious dining at 36,000 ft. We tried Y LHR-DUB last year, and didn’t like it at all ... as it was on Aer Lingus and didn’t earn any TPs
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
Many thanks! I just did a quick search for options to Pittsburgh, I found a lot of two route options available and for a much more reasonable price than when I looked last (must have just been a bad time of year), which according to the calculator would add an extra 80 per trip
There you go ... you’re a Flyertalker already

Ignore the meaningless ‘Priority’ tags, as they achieve nothing. But Gold tags can, surprisingly, help on your carry-on ... we’ve been pulled out of queues and ‘prioritised’ a few times. And they also annoy Silvers
All She Wrote likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Just a friendly reminder to folks that since they registered today All She Wrote may not be able to reply further until 24 hours have expired, assuming the 5 posts/24 hour limit is still in effect for new members.

(I mention this as I got hit by it myself, it's frustrating to get lots of great advice and not be able to thank people!)
T8191 and All She Wrote like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As a Blue, I thought I would chip in with an alternative view.
The First lounges are not worth the extra. Firsts don't go in them! A lounge is a lounge. Once you are in a lounge, unless it is really crowded, the step up to First is marginal. Gold nowadays does not get you in to the best lounges.
The First check-in is a con. It might make some feel special. I am not persuaded. I have not had any check in problems with Y or Y+ or J for a long time, no matter which airline. Why go all the way to S when N is more convenient ... Anyway, I prefer the Upper Class check in.
Extra baggage is only relevant for those that really need it. SWMBO and I do not need it.

Extra miles are worth having - but at what cost?

The real benefit might be that when things go wrong in your travels - and they will - then a Gold might get better treatment, and much quicker access to BA folk on the phone who can help you out.
No idea about what that is worth to you.

Although when BA have their next IT foul up, the Golds will be treated like all the rest. And being Gold does not prevent LHR closing with an inch of snow.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

If you can make slight adjustments to your flying habits that will net you extra TPs without spending too many extra £s, then go for it.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair points, AO.

• A Lounge is nice, a better Lounge is even nicer. Depends on how long you have in transit, of course.
  • F checkin saved us about 30 mins at LGW .. and zero delay at LHR. YMMV.
  • Baggage allowance is indeed personal ... we have hauled massive baggae ex-US
  • IRROPS as Gold seems pretty seamless, especially on AA.
  • Gold BA phone line actually gets answered

As I said earlier, the OP really ought to press to test, as l/h travel seems a major factor.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC GCH
Originally Posted by T8191
And they also annoy Silvers
Good point. Let me correct my typo.

Originally Posted by foolonthehill
Obviously the most important reason for Gold is to get your hands on those special luggage tags. Helps to remind everyone Silvers that you're just that little bit more important......
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I did used to like the phone line when I was gold. As you say, it is answered, normally by someone who understands the caller!! However, it did me no good in BA foul-ups.
I am surprised about your check in experience. I have not had a bad check in experience for a long while, even in the cheapest seats. And I do fly some cheapo airlines. (Not Mr Motormouth's tho)
As you say, the OP should try it at minimum cost. Only the OP can answer their own question!
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi OP, I’ll also add my welcome, you’re in the right place.

I was Silver for a few years and then found myself with the ability to hit Gold which I went for and am glad I did (I’ve since renewed a few times, trips on Qatar in J to SE Asia and beyond certainly help…!)

I have found the First Wing to be a really transformative benefit for trips ex-LHR, it really does make the T5 experience completely different and so much more relaxed and predictable. Seat selection perks also help, although if you are mostly transatlantic in J then that might be less exciting.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
As relatively new Gold obtained byy virtuslly just doing what I do although keeping an open mind eg a few days winter sun in Marrakesh I’d say go for it.

The First Wing check in, security and GF and the additional Avios and reward availability is the thing that I like the most.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Just a friendly reminder to folks that since they registered today All She Wrote may not be able to reply further until 24 hours have expired, assuming the 5 posts/24 hour limit is still in effect for new members.

(I mention this as I got hit by it myself, it's frustrating to get lots of great advice and not be able to thank people!)
And I have learnt something new today.

Would OP be able to edit an existing post if necessary?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Hi, I'm a recent "drop to Silver" passenger after a few years at Gold. I never flew enough to get any of the extra "beyond Gold" benefits (e.g. GGL, GUF2, CCR Card, etc.), so just had the basic Gold membership. My flying on BA is largely longhaul, with a little shorthaul. I have given a fair amount of my shorthaul flying away, since a move to the regions means that I tend to have to connect at least once. I'll fly BA if the times/connections are convenient, they often aren't however.

My current flying can sustain Silver relatively easily - indeed I'm already nudging 1000 TP mark with another 3 months of my year to run, but will likely struggle to hit Gold again without a bit of concerted effort, unless my overall flying habits change again.

So what things do I miss the most?
  • The helpful folks on the Gold line (but I've also found the Silver Line to have improved of late)
  • The better F lounge at LHR, and some of the other Oneworld Emerald lounges like the Qantas LAX lounge, or LHR T3 Cathay lounge
  • Access to the Arrivals lounge in T5 from Longhaul regardless of booked class
  • Occasional flashes of inexplicable "super kindness" from BA staff, which I can only assume were due to being Gold
  • Access to occasional plumb seats.
Away from the London airports and the larger downroute stations, there's really very little difference to what Gold members get over Silver.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I hope it is worth it as I have had the exact same dilemma. I was on 1410TP after maximising TP efficiency when flying either myself or with the family on holiday. In the end, I decided to complete a rtn NCL-LHR in ET G and a EDI-NCL in CE I for around £265, and await the card arrival through the post at some stage. I appear to completing around 40-50 sectors per year these days so we’ll see what extra value it brings to myself over silver with that level of flying. Even if it turns out to be non at all I quite enjoyed the two swift pointless excursions, which there abouts justifies the additional cost to myself anyhow.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
As a Blue, I thought I would chip in with an alternative view.
The First lounges are not worth the extra. Firsts don't go in them! A lounge is a lounge. Once you are in a lounge, unless it is really crowded, the step up to First is marginal. Gold nowadays does not get you in to the best lounges.
The First check-in is a con. It might make some feel special. I am not persuaded. I have not had any check in problems with Y or Y+ or J for a long time, no matter which airline. Why go all the way to S when N is more convenient ... Anyway, I prefer the Upper Class check in.
Extra baggage is only relevant for those that really need it. SWMBO and I do not need it.

Extra miles are worth having - but at what cost?

The real benefit might be that when things go wrong in your travels - and they will - then a Gold might get better treatment, and much quicker access to BA folk on the phone who can help you out.
No idea about what that is worth to you.

Although when BA have their next IT foul up, the Golds will be treated like all the rest. And being Gold does not prevent LHR closing with an inch of snow.
Not so much an alternative view but just negativity.

The F wing isnt so much about checking in but being able to use the security channel and direct access to the F lounge. Only a fool would try to pretend that the Fblounge is not a step up (and a sizeable one) from the J lounge.

As for things going wrong, I’m yet to experience any real issue with traveling BA. Won’t say it won’t happen but I’m not expecting it to sit every trip which is what some would have you believe.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I keep drifting back to the OP’s first post, to try and get my head round travel patterns. It seems to be mainly TATL to the US. That sets up a particular set of parameters. For example, although not earning anything, Bristol-Dublin seems an easy starter for a trip ex-DUB with AA (crediting to BAEC, of course).

I do confess, having acquired the infamous ‘Honolulu Gold’ in Jan 2015, it was a bit of a giggle and was good luck with the fares at the time. Much creative routing and some seriously tedious flights, but ...

Now we’ve had those 3 years as Gold (and renewed already for the coming year) we’ve managed to create a leisure pattern that seems to keep on giving. OK, retired people have more flexibility, and we have the liquidity, but the benefits seem (subliminally or otherwise) to justify us keeping taking those l/h holidays, padded with the occasional Malta.

However, the “Curse of Gold” still lurks. With a non-earning 241 in the system, where do we get renewal for 2018/19? This year is already fully booked. Where do we go in the New Year (2019j to rack up the renewal TPs? We will need another PHX and another MLA before 8th May

And that summarises the “Curse of Gold”

Last edited by T8191; Feb 13, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.