Mini TP Run to HEL

Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Mini TP Run to HEL

Hi, I'm planning to do a mini Tierpoint run to HEL. Going out on the BA798, returning BA795 the following day.

So I got about 7 hours+ waiting/sleeping time at HEL. Ideally, I'd like to use one of the GoSleep pods, which are after security. I tried to find out when security closes at HEL. But no luck so far. As BA798 lands 11.30pm, would anyone on here know, if will I be able to transit to airside this late?

Also, as a Silver travelling on BA business, which lounge at HEL would you recommend to grab some breakfast?

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
Hi, I'm planning to do a mini Tierpoint run to HEL. Going out on the BA798, returning BA795 the following day.

So I got about 7 hours+ waiting/sleeping time at HEL. Ideally, I'd like to use one of the GoSleep pods, which are after security. I tried to find out when security closes at HEL. But no luck so far. As BA798 lands 11.30pm, would anyone on here know, if will I be able to transit to airside this late?

Also, as a Silver travelling on BA business, which lounge at HEL would you recommend to grab some breakfast?

Thanks for your help
you will be airside when you land. Arriving and departing passengers mix at HEL and are not segregated. You will need to go through passport control to go across to the schengen area and around to t1 - I think the pods are somewhere in t1?

in the morning just walk back to passport control to go back in to the non-schengen area for your flight back. I would use the AY lounge just past gate 34 in the non-Schengen area for breakfast. I think it opens about 6am.

no security needed as long as you stay airside.

Scallywag72 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

you will be airside when you land. Arriving and departing passengers mix at HEL and are not segregated. You will need to go through passport control to go across to the schengen area and around to t1 - I think the pods are somewhere in t1?

in the morning just walk back to passport control to go back in to the non-schengen area for your flight back.

no security needed as long as you stay airside.

Thanks KARFA. Yes, the pods are near gate 12 in Terminal 1. My flight arrives at Terminal 2. So if I can walk to T1 after passport check, then my plan with the pods should work out.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
Thanks KARFA. Yes, the pods are near gate 12 in Terminal 1. My flight arrives at Terminal 2. So if I can walk to T1 after passport check, then my plan with the pods should work out.
yes it’s all one long building and you can walk all the way around and remain airside. when you arrive head through passport control and follow the signs to gate 12. Do not head down the escalators after passport control as that will take you to the baggage hall and out landside.
MrsBiggles likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:00 pm

You can book the pods through booking.com . I would still consider the new Scandic Hotel (opening this spring) or the Hilton. The covered outdoor walking distance is the same even though you have to go through security in the morning. The price of the pod is around 45 € whereas you might find a real hotel room for 100 € or less. Sometimes there are affordable rooms even in the Glo Hotel situated one floor below the arrival hall. Ofcourse, the pod is something new and could be fun as such.
MrsBiggles likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Lounge tip for Silvers

I was told as a silver I could go into the premium side of the lounge after 5pm which I did. Much nicer food and drink. Not sure if this is official or not but worth a try assuming you are still in the airport after that time.

Ignore me. I see you are there overnight. Sorry. But will leave in case of use to others.

Last edited by CaroFos; Feb 12, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
teledude was not impressed with pods recently and also found out that if you exit landside you won't be able to get back airside as security is closed at night. if you intend to use pods, make sure you stay airside after going through passport control.
MrsBiggles likes this.

Last edited by megaloman; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:40 am Reason: Mentioned teledude
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by megaloman
if you exit landside you won't be able to get back airside as security is closed at night
The main security at T2 is open 24/7, the other security checks are closed.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I would add that you might want to see if the Hilton has any offer. Of course it's more expensive than the pods but it's a great hotel with proper quiet room. I've seen prices as low as EUR150 but if you leave it late it can be EUR300-400 as well, which I don't think it's worth it. If you have status with Hilton (diamond, gold) then you can have a free breakfast which I think is better than the Finnair lounge offering for Silver or Business passengers. Gold would be a different matter...
Also don't forget if you just buy the BA CE ticket return it should have same day change possibility (check it when you book it) so on the way back you can try to change it to the 8:00am Finnair A350 which has flat beds. As you would arrive on the BA798 quite late you can stay up an another 30-40 min then midnight kicks in and if there is availability you most likely can change it. Don't try at the airport as they are clueless. If you can't do it with the App or web site, just call BA and they should do it. In that way you can get an another 2 hours of sleeping and you should arrive earlier than BA795. (by schedule)
MrsBiggles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
Also don't forget if you just buy the BA CE ticket return it should have same day change possibility (check it when you book it) so on the way back you can try to change it to the 8:00am Finnair A350 which has flat beds. As you would arrive on the BA798 quite late you can stay up an another 30-40 min then midnight kicks in and if there is availability you most likely can change it. Don't try at the airport as they are clueless. If you can't do it with the App or web site, just call BA and they should do it. In that way you can get an another 2 hours of sleeping and you should arrive earlier than BA795. (by schedule)
I think SDC would only let you change on to another BA flight, not on to an AY flight.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think SDC would only let you change on to another BA flight, not on to an AY flight.
No, done it now a few times... you get a new Ba e ticket and your Finnair boarding pass would say AY1331 Sold as BA6031. That is why I said earlier that don't try it at the airport as they would say that which is not true...
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Krisz
I would add that you might want to see if the Hilton has any offer. Of course it's more expensive than the pods but it's a great hotel with proper quiet room. I've seen prices as low as EUR150 but if you leave it late it can be EUR300-400 as well, which I don't think it's worth it.
For my forthcoming OTP-PHX trip (Easter weekend) I got the Hilton through booking.com for €95 (non-refundable).
MrsBiggles likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
For my forthcoming OTP-PHX trip (Easter weekend) I got the Hilton through booking.com for €95 (non-refundable).
That's a good price! I would pay that anytime than the PODS at EUR45... (even it's room only and status won't help for a free breakfast/lounge/points/etc as it's a travel agent booking)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I also found the Hilton offer for £95, so I'm thinking about it, as it's only £55 more for a proper bed and a quick breakfast 👍
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Also need to look into this free change on the day. Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.