Adding domestic return to booked 2-4-1?

Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Adding domestic return to booked 2-4-1?

Hello

We have our first 2-4-1 booking in March/April. Out on 26 March LHR-SAN and back on Saturday 7 April PHX-LHR in F. First F too.

It would be really helpful to be able to be in Edinburgh on Saturday evening 7 April, returning to LHR on Sunday 8 April.

Some questions for the hive mind...

Can I add this onto the existing 2-4-1? There is avios availability. Guessing there will be a £35 change fee. What about extra avios to pay? Usual rates?

If I pay in cash for the flights to EDI (eg a BA holiday) as the avios vs cash rate isn’t brilliant, will the inbound F boarding pass on 7 April give us both access to the T5 CCR even though it would be on a different PNR? If it makes any difference we are returning to T3.
-
Will they check through our bags from PHX to EDI on a different PNR? Guessing not.If we pay in cash for the EDI return on the end of the existing booking, and we miss the outbound, guessing travel insurance will cover the losses?-I suppose the other option would be to change the ex-LHR booking to an ex-EDI one, but that means we still end up on two different PNRs for the positioning flights and I don’t want to take the risk with this one.-
Thanks in advance

TFC

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Feb 12, 2018 at 11:36 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If there is availability on LHR-EDI you can add this on, and your luggage will go through from SAN-EDI. There is the change fee, a bit of extra taxes but no extra Avios (that is the bit that sometimes goes wrong, some agents try to add this on for changes). Two PNRs means no through luggage checking, but makes no difference to CCR access, it's still OK. I wouldn't rely on insurance, but there is usually a good availability on the day to EDI for Avios, so you could use that as a fallback. Alternatively, book a Plus fare on the last flight LHR-EDI and use Same Day Change to leave sooner, but you would need to recheck luggage.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Would that be adding a one-way LHR to EDI on the end and then booking a separate return? Or would they be able to add the full
return LHR-EDI-LHR on the end of the existing booking for no extra avios?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
1) The 2-4-1 is available on a return starting and ending in the UK; while the intention is that it's (say) EDI-LHR-xxx-LHR-EDI, you might be able to get LHR-EDI added to the 2-4-1 at the end. This shouldn't cost any additional Avios, but will have £35 change fee per person, plus taxes, fees and charges to pay. If you're coming off long haul F you'll be booked into Club Europe, so could end up rather expensive as you'll be booked into Club Europe and the TFC element is often £100-£150 return per person extra for the domestic connection. So, one way you're looking at maybe £100 each.

I'd be very surprised indeed if you can add the EDI-LHR onto it at the end as that isn't how the 2-4-1 is meant to work. By all means phone up and ask - and remember you can use YouFirst for this sort of thing - shorter wait times and more knowledgeable agents on the whole. If a reward flight saver is poor value then a cash ticket "Plus" fare may be a better option. This gives the possibility of a same day change for no charge.

2) Think BA are very strict on through-checking from what I've read. The good thing is that you'll be able to use First Wing and Concorde Room as connecting from F onto a same-day flight from T5.

I'd just leave plenty of time between flights, and pay for a Plus fare in Euro Traveller if it's less than about £150 return, otherwise use an RFS. Whatever, I'd give myself loads of time between the arrival into T3 and departure from T5 (4 hours, maybe). If everything goes swimmingly, enquire about moving to an earlier flight when you check in at F Wing, otherwise enjoy the CCR.

Job done.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Fabulous - thank you so much. I think we will go with a BA holidays booking departing 9hrs after the inbound F flight as it is around £150pp including a hotel, so essentially the hotel ends up free. As long as people are certain that 2 PNRs means we still have CCR access on the same day as an arriving F?

One final question... from googling it seems BA holidays bookings aren’t eligible for same day changes? Is that right? In which case the extra flexibility of booking flight only could be preferable, even it is an extra few £ for the hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BobServant
1) The 2-4-1 is available on a return starting and ending in the UK; while the intention is that it's (say) EDI-LHR-xxx-LHR-EDI, you might be able to get LHR-EDI added to the 2-4-1 at the end. This shouldn't cost any additional Avios, but will have £35 change fee per person, plus taxes, fees and charges to pay. If you're coming off long haul F you'll be booked into Club Europe, so could end up rather expensive as you'll be booked into Club Europe and the TFC element is often £100-£150 return per person extra for the domestic connection. So, one way you're looking at maybe £100 each.

I'd be very surprised indeed if you can add the EDI-LHR onto it at the end as that isn't how the 2-4-1 is meant to work. By all means phone up and ask - and remember you can use YouFirst for this sort of thing - shorter wait times and more knowledgeable agents on the whole. If a reward flight saver is poor value then a cash ticket "Plus" fare may be a better option. This gives the possibility of a same day change for no charge.
You definately can add on a domestic sector. The cost will likely be around £30-£50 per person if that for each domestic added.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

Yes, CCR access is fine -post 4, scenario 6 here. Doesn't matter if one or two PNRs.

BA lounge access guidelines

BA Holidays flights tend to be rather inflexible, but then Edinburgh hotels for Saturday nights tend to be rather expensive too...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

You definately can add on a domestic sector. The cost will likely be around £30-£50 per person if that for each domestic added.
Thank you all for your help and advice - there is only CE Avios availability at suitable times and so I guess we would be looking at more than that? Also the return is CE only-availability too and that is poor avios value.

I’ve gone with a paid Y Plus fare, leaving 9hrs later than planned arrival and so hopefully a) we won’t be that delayed and b) we can move onto an earlier flight as 9hrs in the CCR could be rather a messy (but enjoyable!!) way to spend a day.

This forum really is a remarkable resource - thank you.

TFC

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Feb 12, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist

Thank you all for your help and advice - there is only CE Avios availability at suitable times and so I guess we would be looking at more than that? Also the return is CE only-availability too and that is poor avios value.

I’ve gone with a paid Y Plus fare, leaving 9hrs later than planned arrival and so hopefully a) we won’t be that delayed and b) we can move onto an earlier flight as 9hrs in the CCR could be rather a messy (but enjoyable!!) way to spend a day.

This forum really is a remarkable resource - thank you.

GB
if you were to book this from scratch you would be offered CE anyway connecting on to F so I suspect it would not be any more avios. In terms of extra taxes/fees/charges over ET it would probably be only the extra APD of £13.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Fabulous - thank you so much. I think we will go with a BA holidays booking departing 9hrs after the inbound F flight as it is around £150pp including a hotel, so essentially the hotel ends up free. As long as people are certain that 2 PNRs means we still have CCR access on the same day as an arriving F?

One final question... from googling it seems BA holidays bookings aren’t eligible for same day changes? Is that right? In which case the extra flexibility of booking flight only could be preferable, even it is an extra few £ for the hotel.
BA Holiday flights do not include Same Day Change and in practical terms I can't see any easy way around that. The one thing you could try is an Avios only booking for the hotel, using the lowest amount of Avios and paying cash for the rest, and building your own flights using Plus tickets. For more information on CCR access beyond that already posted, see the relevant Dashboard Lounge Access thread.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Just called youfirst. LHR-XXX-LHR-EDI-LHR routing is impossible on one reward 2-4-1 ticket. They could have added a single to EDI on the end, but not the return and so I’d end up having to book a one-way flight home from EDI which I’d rather not do! Booking that as cash is expensive and avios is poor value (only CE available).

Thanks again for all your help

TFC
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

having to book a one-way flight home from EDI which I’d rather not do! Booking that as cash is expensive and avios is poor value (only CE available).
Did you check the EDI-LGW and LCY single fares too? The protection for SAN-EDI is worth quite a bit, if you have luggage too.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:13 pm

Just called youfirst. LHR-XXX-LHR-EDI-LHR routing is impossible on one reward 2-4-1 ticket. They could have added a single to EDI on the end, but not the return and so I’d end up having to book a one-way flight home from EDI which I’d rather not do! Booking that as cash is expensive and avios is poor value (only CE available).

Thanks again for all your help

TFC
my apologies. I misunderstood your query and thought you were trying to do EDI-LHR-XXX-LHR-EDI.

No you can’t have multiple domestic flights on either end and have it as LHR-EDI-LHR-XXX etc. One domestic flight only I am afraid at each end. On that point i think BobServant got the issue quicker than I did!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:06 am
Original Poster

We decided to go with adding a one-way to EDI onto the end of the existing booking (£12 each + £35 change fee each) and separately booking a single flex back from EDI to LHR so we could use same day change if we needed to. It was almost exactly the same price as making a standalone return booking, but with the outbound in CE rather than Y, and more importantly the outbound on the same ticket as the inbound long haul in case of delays (plus we don’t have to worry about collecting and rechecking bags at LHR).

Thanks for all the help and advice,

TFC

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Feb 13, 2018 at 4:02 am
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:17 pm

We decided to go with adding a one-way to EDI onto the end of the existing booking (£12 each + £35 change fee each) and separately booking a single flex back from EDI to LHR so we could use same day change if we needed to. It was almost exactly the same price as making a standalone return booking, but with the outbound in CE rather than Y, and more importantly the outbound on the same ticket as the inbound long haul in case of delays (plus we don’t have to worry about collecting and rechecking bags at LHR).

Thanks for all the help and advice,

TFC
Pleasantly surprised the add-on was only £12 pp plus change fee, I’m sure last time I added domestic it was a lot more than that.

Sounds like a really good solution overall, enjoy your trip and the extra weekend in Auld reekie. Just bring something warm or you’ll be in for a shock after your time in SW USA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.