Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid T4S to T4 transfer advice por favor

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Madrid T4S to T4 transfer advice por favor

I've got two options on a flight from LHR-MAD-LEI.

First option is Iberia for both flights. T4 to T4 connection but only 50 minutes connection time.

Second option is BA to Iberia (T4S to T4 transit) which has a connection time of 1 hour 20 minutes.

Which is likely to be the safer option. I know both are tight. I'm leaning towards the Iberia flights with no terminal transit required.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
I am a regular at MAD and I would go for the first option, you are less likely to find a long queue at passport control.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
First option. Iberia flights are more often on time, and it will take at most 5 minutes from doors open to being in the gate area. Then up to a 15min walk to your next gate.

The BA option requires clearing immigration in the main hall, taking the transit train (up to 10 minutes to get to T4 if you have just missed one), clear Security then get to your gate.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
No brainier - first option
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA GfL
oxtail, I agree with the last three posts - I'd go with IB.

There's always an outside chance (but probably way outside) that your IB LHR>MAD lands at T4S (it's happened to me) and an outside chance that your MAD>LEI leaves from T4S (some Domestic and Shengen flights do use T4S). But these are slim chances.

T4S immigration is pretty fast and so is the transfer security at T4, but there can sometimes be issues. Plus BA occasionally use remote stands at T4S (so bus to the terminal) and can sometimes use gates at the extreme south end of the terminal - meaning a long walk. And baggage T4S to T4 is not the fastest.

So lots of blah blah to say IB is probably better!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Great - thanks all.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
There's always an outside chance (but probably way outside) that your IB LHR>MAD lands at T4S (it's happened to me) and an outside chance that your MAD>LEI leaves from T4S (some Domestic and Shengen flights do use T4S). But these are slim chances.
Unless OP is on the daily A340/A330 IB flight, which certainly will land at T4S.

Assuming not, OP should land at T4 so I agree that would be the better option of the two.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Should indeed, but I have had one case where we parked remotely at T4, were bussed round to H5 (which was unoccupied...), up the stairs and cleared immigration. Another case where we arrived into a T4S S gate as the aircraft was off to DKR I believe. But yes, 9/10 you will arrive at T4.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
oxtail, I agree with the last three posts - I'd go with IB.

T4S immigration is pretty fast and so is the transfer security at T4, but there can sometimes be issues. Plus BA occasionally use remote stands at T4S (so bus to the terminal) and can sometimes use gates at the extreme south end of the terminal - meaning a long walk. And baggage T4S to T4 is not the fastest.

So lots of blah blah to say IB is probably better!
Hi,
I am about to do a non-Shengen to Shengen T4s to T4 transfer (arriving on BA, onwards on Air Nostrum). The Madrid Wiki entry says this transfer involves going landside, but this post seems to suggest there is a connections 'channel'. Any views on how long this will take (given recent press reports about long queues in Madrid)?

And same question for the reverse, transferring T4 to T4s (Shengen to Non-Shengen).

Many thanks,
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Haax007
Hi,
I am about to do a non-Shengen to Shengen T4s to T4 transfer (arriving on BA, onwards on Air Nostrum). The Madrid Wiki entry says this transfer involves going landside, but this post seems to suggest there is a connections 'channel'. Any views on how long this will take (given recent press reports about long queues in Madrid)?

And same question for the reverse, transferring T4 to T4s (Shengen to Non-Shengen).

Many thanks,
In both cases you can stay airside.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yeah, I think the landside thing is a misnomer: in common with most European airports, most of Barajas is inside Schengen, but there are bits of T4 and T4S (rather a big bit of T4S) which are non Schengen. So you just pass through the immigration and emigration passport checks as you go from one side of the Schengen border to the other side of it.

In other words, when you arrive, follow the signs for connections to T4, there is a passport check before you get on the transit which connects T4S to T4, then you are still airside, but in Schengen. Physically you can get from T4S to T4 gates in 30 minutes or so, but T4 in particular is huge, it goes on forever, and some Nostrum flights involve gates that leave from the furthest corner of T4. Anything over an hour is fine, assuming everything is on time, however probably the Minimum Connection Time is probably rather shorter than that. Pretty much the reverse on the return, you leave Schengen after you arrive back into T4S, again off the transit shuttle.

It may be worth having a map of T4 and T4S on your phone - you need to know the zone letter as well as the gate but that isn't as complicated as it sounds - but it may help you to decide, when sitting on the transit, whether you're going to have time to visit the lounge, if you are so eligible.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yeah, I think the landside thing is a misnomer: in common with most European airports, most of Barajas is inside Schengen, but there are bits of T4 and T4S (rather a big bit of T4S) which are non Schengen. So you just pass through the immigration and emigration passport checks as you go from one side of the Schengen border to the other side of it.

In other words, when you arrive, follow the signs for connections to T4, there is a passport check before you get on the transit which connects T4S to T4, then you are still airside, but in Schengen. Physically you can get from T4S to T4 gates in 30 minutes or so, but T4 in particular is huge, it goes on forever, and some Nostrum flights involve gates that leave from the furthest corner of T4. Anything over an hour is fine, assuming everything is on time, however probably the Minimum Connection Time is probably rather shorter than that. Pretty much the reverse on the return, you leave Schengen after you arrive back into T4S, again off the transit shuttle.

It may be worth having a map of T4 and T4S on your phone - you need to know the zone letter as well as the gate but that isn't as complicated as it sounds - but it may help you to decide, when sitting on the transit, whether you're going to have time to visit the lounge, if you are so eligible.
Thanks, that is very helpful! You do not mention the queues, is it safe to assume you would not worry about it?

We have two hours, so should not be an issue, but we will have young kids in tow..!

Much appreciated!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Haax007
Thanks, that is very helpful! You do not mention the queues, is it safe to assume you would not worry about it?

We have two hours, so should not be an issue, but we will have young kids in tow..!
I personally haven't been held up by more than a few minutes in MAD by passports (and there is a fast lane on the emigration side for those whose flights are imminent). Plus if your cost centres are young and adorable I think you're allowed to jump the queue. I did put up a thread recently on delays on the European mainland, but it's almost note-worthy for its lack of complaints, and that is somewhat unusual in these parts.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I personally haven't been held up by more than a few minutes in MAD by passports (and there is a fast lane on the emigration side for those whose flights are imminent). Plus if your cost centres are young and adorable I think you're allowed to jump the queue. I did put up a thread recently on delays on the European mainland, but it's almost note-worthy for its lack of complaints, and that is somewhat unusual in these parts.
Thanks very much CWS!!!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just to piggy back on this thread from last summer, considering a LRH-MAD-BCN trip and v.v. – relatively efficient TP generation in Business for somewhere we want to go anyway.

For various reasons need to be back in London by Sunday lunchtime and the only workable option at the right price point seems to be the following on a Sunday morning.
08:30 BCN – 09:55 MAD
1h connection
10:55 MAD – 12:15 LHR (BA 767)

Does that feel like a safe transit from Schengen to non-Schengen? No mobility issues etc, we can hustle when we need to!
(I’m not concerned about the outbound, where there is a 3h30 connection on the flights we’re looking at)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.