Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA, Lounge access why bother ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British airways
Thumbs down BA, Lounge access why bother ?

Perks like lounge access are why maybe somewhat foolishly I've been a loyal BA exec member for more than 25 years. Travelling for leisure for a change I politely asked the LGW lounge receptionist if my daughter could sneak in to the lounge as well as my wife.. it was 0530 and lounge was mostly empty. The receptionist proudly announced that as it was half term they were strictly enforcing a policy of one guest for silver members. I asked was he sure, he was very sure! Oh and flight was delayed 90 mins also. Loyalty index dented yet again. I really do wonder what is the point..
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
While I agree it would be nice if there was some way to get additional people guested in occasionally (option to pay perhaps) you can’t really grumble when you get the advertised benefits.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's a bit hard to complain when the rules stipulate one guest, you knew the rule on guesting, and you were only allowed one guest.

In addition, BA don't have a single class service any more for which you could only buy an economy class ticket.
Buying a Club ticket (or above if applicable) for either your daughter or wife (or all of you, of course) would have solve the issue by offering all of you lounge access.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
For many of us, the fact that BAEC members are restricted to taking one guest into the lounge, especially at half-term, is a very positive thing.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:50 pm

Welcome to FT.

Frustrating, yes, but when you start making exceptions then you get people complaining about lack of consistency.

The benefits of silver are well known I'm afraid, and the days of staff having discretion are long since gone.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Presumably you value lounge access, or else you wouldn't have requested it for your daughter. If so, there's the question answered. If not, the Wetherspoons does a nice nosh and drinks inexpensively, and that's where I go if I don't qualify for the lounge.

I quite often see people trying to blag access for an additional colleague or family member. It never hurts to ask, I guess, but if the answer is no, the correct response is to say thanks, you thought you'd ask but guessed that would be the answer, and move on.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I'm glad BA enforce the guest limit, especially during half term more than ever!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things

Why does your wife not also have a Silver Card? I’m sure that it’s mostly when one family member has the privilege of lounge acces it is gained through work travel paid by the company. As myself and my partner has status through our personal spend with BA it would really annoy us if the lounges were overflowed with children, especially as I teach and we have to travel during school holidays.
fairhsa likes this.

Last edited by Finavia; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:51 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
I don't know why the OP is complaining.
If anything it would be Golds ahead of the queue to have a sneaky extra guest into the lounge?

But as a side note - I believe that BAEC could increase the value of their program by giving out say 2 extra lounge passes per annum (obviously tied to the member's account to prevent abuse) to bring in extra guests in excess of the normal benefits.
Worcester, HKGEDI, trooper and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ermen; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:50 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:53 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Now that our eldest is at school, we are pegged to taking family holidays only during the school holiday season and so far, I have not noticed the lounges to be flooded with children. I think rules should be rules and guest limits should be +1 for silver and gold, otherwise potentially, we will have 1/4 of the year with relaxed guesting policy. That is too much.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I do rather get the impression from threads like this that when watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang many FTers would be rooting for Baron Bomburst and the child catcher.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Smile BA Lounge

I was in the First Lounge at LGW last Saturday afternoon and lots of families families with small children present.. Of course you never know if both adults had status but I was not bothered either way as everybody was well behaved including the adults
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
I do rather get the impression from threads like this that when watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang many FTers would be rooting for Baron Bomburst and the child catcher.
Just call me the Baroness!
T5 lounges last Friday resembled an understaffed infants' department. Good grief, what a racket.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I am glad BA has rules, I don't want large families and loud group of FTers taking over CCR or any other lounge for that matter...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by HuBoo
Perks like lounge access are why maybe somewhat foolishly I've been a loyal BA exec member for more than 25 years. Travelling for leisure for a change I politely asked the LGW lounge receptionist if my daughter could sneak in to the lounge as well as my wife.. it was 0530 and lounge was mostly empty. The receptionist proudly announced that as it was half term they were strictly enforcing a policy of one guest for silver members. I asked was he sure, he was very sure! Oh and flight was delayed 90 mins also. Loyalty index dented yet again. I really do wonder what is the point..
Sounds to me like a great reason to bother, by enforcing the rules (and lets face it if they don't where do you draw the line when its a third full, half full...) it makes the lounge less busy and chaotic and thus a place I would much more likely want to earn status to visit.

While frustrating with the delay also fair to point out that if people have extra guests in there and a delay means the lounge gets even busier as it would mean 3 extra people in the lounge for an extra 90 minutes! Doesn't sound a lot but soon adds up when you multiply it by the number of Silver members who are passing through LGW/LHR a day and then if you extend it to them you also need to do it to the Golds!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.