Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-HND options with 2-4-1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Thanks for the tip, this will be my first trip to Tokyo. I've got a stash of IHG points to burn so will be at one of the three Intercontinentals. I'm a Spire Ambassador so hopefully that will count for something with regards a slightly early check-in.
I think you should be fine at an IHG property. It’s a good place to burn points given hotel rates in Tokyo!!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich

I think you should be fine at an IHG property. It’s a good place to burn points given hotel rates in Tokyo!!
last week or so of mach is often peak cherry blossom season so hotel rates can spike and points burn more valuable.

If in W try and get the ex NRT 787 over the 777 from HND. HND is great if you like Tokyo taxis but Narita is fine with either of the express trains or the limo buses.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
HND has public transport as well: either the monorail or Keikyu airport line, then the JR Yamanote line and Tokyo Metro to get to your destination. Obviously Tokyo is a huge city so for airport access it's better to stay on the Shinagawa and Minato side than Shinjuku or north of the center.

A taxi from Shinagawa area to HND is not going to be the eye-watering expense that leads to the Tokyo taxi price horror stories that abound on the Internet but it's still not that cheap. Unless it's very early (or very late) I would still usually take the train services in most cases.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
HND has public transport as well: either the monorail or Keikyu airport line, then the JR Yamanote line and Tokyo Metro to get to your destination. Obviously Tokyo is a huge city so for airport access it's better to stay on the Shinagawa and Minato side than Shinjuku or north of the center.

A taxi from Shinagawa area to HND is not going to be the eye-watering expense that leads to the Tokyo taxi price horror stories that abound on the Internet but it's still not that cheap. Unless it's very early (or very late) I would still usually take the train services in most cases.

I agree with all of this. I find the best compromise for HND if you’re not too far from there is a taxi to Shinagawa and then the Keikyu line. If you’re not too fussed on the way back there are a few airport hotels , I’ve stayed at JAL city , and there’s also a mystays. Both are a couple of stops (ten minutes) from the airport and inexpensive relatively.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:27 am

And P.S. to the OP. I’m sorry we’re all planning the minutiae of your trip now when it’s the best part of a year away! Only on FT.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
And P.S. to the OP. I’m sorry we’re all planning the minutiae of your trip now when it’s the best part of a year away! Only on FT.
Haha, don't worry, it's all useful knowledge. My dilemma now that flights are booked is which IC hotel...three to choose from and all seem to have pros & cons...
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Crofton138
Haha, don't worry, it's all useful knowledge. My dilemma now that flights are booked is which IC hotel...three to choose from and all seem to have pros & cons...
Well based on location only (I know Tokyo pretty well and just spend the last few months out in japan), I’d say the main one in roppongi is the best bet, with maybe the strings for the last night as close to shinagawa (assume you have some time away from Tokyo in between). I haven’t been into any of the hotels or looked at reviews.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Wherever you stay in Tokyo you will have a great time. Use the Metro to get about. It is spotless and on time. I usually stay in the "lively" Akasaka. :-)

I flew from HND 6 weeks ago and as a Emerald you get into the 1st lounge. Quite minimalist but the food is good.

I recommend going to the Palace and then to Ginza on Sunday. The roads get shut off and you can wander around in the shops. One thing to get used to is the shop service. In Japan, it is good manners for the staff to follow you around in case you need immediate service. In the UK we would be wondering why they are following us. However, it is just the staff being polite.

IMO Japan is the most polite place on the planet. You will love it. I only go about 3-4 times a year and each time it always strikes me how clean it is.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Wherever you stay in Tokyo you will have a great time. Use the Metro to get about. It is spotless and on time. I usually stay in the "lively" Akasaka. :-)

I flew from HND 6 weeks ago and as a Emerald you get into the 1st lounge. Quite minimalist but the food is good.

I recommend going to the Palace and then to Ginza on Sunday. The roads get shut off and you can wander around in the shops. One thing to get used to is the shop service. In Japan, it is good manners for the staff to follow you around in case you need immediate service. In the UK we would be wondering why they are following us. However, it is just the staff being polite.

IMO Japan is the most polite place on the planet. You will love it. I only go about 3-4 times a year and each time it always strikes me how clean it is.
Clean tidy and polite.
Maybe not a subject for a BA forum?
nivsy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Well based on location only (I know Tokyo pretty well and just spend the last few months out in japan), I’d say the main one in roppongi is the best bet, with maybe the strings for the last night as close to shinagawa (assume you have some time away from Tokyo in between). I haven’t been into any of the hotels or looked at reviews.
The Tokyo Bay Intercontinental is a bit out of the way indeed, they do run a free shuttle bus going to Shinagawa Station. Not sure about schedule as I never staid there, but it must be rather frequent as I always seem to see the walking between station and office. And since I like Blue Bottle Coffee, that might well be more than arriving at and leaving the office.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:13 am

I did the LHR-HND flight a few weeks back in J. Departure at 11:40 meant I hardly slept on the flight for more than an hour and a half. A real shame that the later 15:45 NRT was cancelled in June and is changed to the 787 over the summer! If you can choose NRT, I would recommend that flight if you want to sleep.

LBP2 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The JAL City Haneda hotels are a reasonable place to stay for quick access to the airport if you don’t want to get up early for the morning flight. They run a very efficient (even by Japanese standards) bus shuttle service to the airport, and the Keikyu line station is nearby.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Did a bit of checking on my Tokyo train app. If you want to reach Haneda around 7am, you would need to leave the ANA Interconti in Akasaka for a 6:04 train One change brings you to Haneda at 6:46.
​​​​​​
A taxi from my home which is about 2km less distance from that hotel is including highway toll just around 6.000 yen. Which might well be my preferred option if I had to catch the BA flight to Haneda.

The point of my post, if you choose the Akasaka IC (which I'd recommend anyway) don't bother changing hotels the last night too much trouble for too little gain. Access from this IC is not so bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.