Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bumped from chosen seats; wife upset; what to say to purser?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold

Yes, it's a 1st world problem: We're flying on today's daytime flight from BOM to LHR. Originally booked 1st using Avios. BA then 'cancelled' saying that 1st cabin had been cut. Rebooked on Business and got partial Avios refund. Reserved 'preferred' seats and all was good. On checking-in on line learned that the 1st cabin has now been reinstated on this flight (which must have happened very recently) and we've been reallocated seats in the middle of the cabin. Now in lounge and Mrs Up In The Air feeling negative about BA. If the purser does his/her personal greeting and asks if everything's ok, she's likely to complain rather than say that everything's fine thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I might be more inclined to tell your wife to get a grip and remind her she's leaving a country where the vast majority of the population have a lot more important things to get 'upset' about than where they are sitting in a premium cabin of an aircraft.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tell her that seats are not guaranteed and can be changed - if the seats are that bad, perhaps there is someone in economy that would switch for the crappy business class seat ( or crappy 1st class seat if she has been rebooked back into 1st class )
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:36 pm

I don't really follow. Your booking was cancelled, and you were rebooked in business with a partial refund of Avios but now the F cabin has opened up and you have F seats anyway?

Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by simons1
I don't really follow. Your booking was cancelled, and you were rebooked in business with a partial refund of Avios but now the F cabin has opened up and you have F seats anyway?
I don't think the OP meant they got back in F, I think what he meant was that there was an aircraft swap which resulted in the F cabin being cut. Then he selected good seats on that aircraft in J when they were re-booked. Sometime later another aircraft swap caused the F cabin to return but also meant that their J seats were changed from good ones to less ideal ones.

I would try to get better seats if possible (unless the flight is full), but other than that I would try to have your wife realize that these things happen and convince her that the best recourse would be to write into BA since the purser won't be able to do much at the point where you're already on the aircraft. An alternative is to let the wife talk to the purser and mention it, as long as a scene is not caused I don't see any harm with mentioning being disappointed as long as it's done politely.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
I might be more inclined to tell your wife to get a grip and remind her she's leaving a country where the vast majority of the population have a lot more important things to get 'upset' about than where they are sitting in a premium cabin of an aircraft.
I don't understand these kind of responses in the context of this site, because literally every single post on FT fails this kind of test. I'm sure there are many fora to discuss global poverty and other issues of importance, but this is not one of them.

OP if it were me and I was proactively approached by the CSM or whoever then I'd certainly mention it. I'm of the opinion that unless you give constructive feedback, how do you expect things to change and possibly work better in the future. You only have to see the numerous threads on seating to demonstrate that quite a few people are picky about where they sit on the plane. If seat location wasn't important, BA wouldn't charge for it and passengers wouldn't pay for it.
SK, Dave_C, lhrpete and 64 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Once sitting in 3A in a 747, an elderly lady was op-upped to 4E. She made it clear she was unhappy being "dumped" in a middle seat, as she "carefully" had selected 17A for her flight. "It is a window seat", she articulated, both loud and clear.

The CSD was soon there to greet and apologize if she was unhappy with the seat, but as the only non-assigned seat in the F cabin was 5F, there was no window seat available. "But, if you so wish, Madam, I can ask the passenger now sitting in 17A to switch seats with you, so you can have your window seat".

The lady grumbled, but reluctantly agreed to stay. After a couple of G&Ts, quickly bolted down, she slept for the entire flight.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark

I don't understand these kind of responses in the context of this site, because literally every single post on FT fails this kind of test. I'm sure there are many fora to discuss global poverty and other issues of importance, but this is not one of them.

OP if it were me and I was proactively approached by the CSM or whoever then I'd certainly mention it. I'm of the opinion that unless you give constructive feedback, how do you expect things to change and possibly work better in the future. You only have to see the numerous threads on seating to demonstrate that quite a few people are picky about where they sit on the plane. If seat location wasn't important, BA wouldn't charge for it and passengers wouldn't pay for it.
The clue is in the title of the OP's post. He asked for advice and received it. There is no discussion of global poverty in my response merely a valid reason for letting putting the 'issue' into perspective.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Yes, it's a 1st world problem: We're flying on today's daytime flight from BOM to LHR. Originally booked 1st using Avios. BA then 'cancelled' saying that 1st cabin had been cut. Rebooked on Business and got partial Avios refund. Reserved 'preferred' seats and all was good. On checking-in on line learned that the 1st cabin has now been reinstated on this flight (which must have happened very recently) and we've been reallocated seats in the middle of the cabin. Now in lounge and Mrs Up In The Air feeling negative about BA. If the purser does his/her personal greeting and asks if everything's ok, she's likely to complain rather than say that everything's fine thank you.
I’d say absolutely nothing to the CSD and be greatful I was the one chosen for the move from the Club seat to the First seat.
Silver Fox, HarryKUK and Flame3601 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:48 am
Suspended

think about the people in the cattle end moan ..moan ..moan some people are never happy other pass DREAM of having a f seat
Silver Fox and HKGEDI like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I must admit it doesn’t read to me as though they’ve been put back in F. Perhaps the OP could clarify?
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:14 am

I am confused? Have they just opened up the 1st cabin as club? Is the Op in 1st or in club?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:19 am

Logically if you have been put into F for a C price, albeit through some sort of seating gymnastics, you've won. Explain to wife that you've got a head start on the next trip. If you are in Flub it's still a win.

If you find yourself in C I'm sure there are grounds for complaint but at least you are both not upset and can discuss how to tackle the issue clearly. It certainly seems unfair in that instance.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
I must admit it doesn’t read to me as though they’ve been put back in F. Perhaps the OP could clarify?
That's how I read it also.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:36 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Methinks, the lady doth protest too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.