Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bumped from chosen seats; wife upset; what to say to purser?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from chosen seats; wife upset; what to say to purser?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:05 am

This is like the worst mystery novel I have ever read.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: none
OP may have a legitimate issue, but the question was whether to complain to the purser on board.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JumboJet

This is like the worst mystery novel I have ever read.

Apologies to all for unintentionally having created this terrible mystery novel. (I partially blame the difficulties in posting on the FT 'full site' on a small iPhone and partially on being not terribly articulate.)

Thanks for all the advice; and to all those defending against the somewhat judgmental posts that perhaps would have been better in the 'OMNI PR' pages. (I don't necessarily disagree with some of the sentiments–but didn't really intend to provoke that type of debate in the original post.)

To clarify:
The original booking was in First.
The flight was then cancelled and reinstated with a 3-class aircraft; so we rebooked in J (and received the appropriate refund). We reserved seats 4A and 4B. These seats showed on our reservation right up until 48 hours or so before the flight.
On checking in we found that the aircraft had been changed to a 4-class and that our (J) seats had been reallocated to 11F and 11G. At the airport our request to upgrade (back) to First using Avios was denied–which wasn't a great surprise–but we were offered the opportunity of upgrading with cash (at around Ł450 each), which we declined.
When boarding had been completed, seats 16E and 16F were free, and the crew were happy for us to move to these centre seats, which in our view were the better option.
As a postscript to this enthralling tale, the purser didn't 'meet and greet'–so we didn't even have the opportunity to 'feed back' on board. The really positive thing was that the crew were brilliant throughout the flight.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I like stories with relatively nice endings.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:36 am

Thank you to the OP for returning and updating us on what seems to be a slightly happier ending.

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
The flight was then cancelled and reinstated with a 3-class aircraft; so we rebooked in J (and received the appropriate refund).
Now is that the sound of the flaps being set for landing, or a couple of FTers winding their necks in...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by simons1
Now is that the sound of the flaps being set for landing, or a couple of FTers winding their necks in...
Or those FTers winding out a bit further to say "by appropriate do you mean the 25% differential or the 75% compensation?" .
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pauldb
No part of Art 10.

Article 3:
2. Paragraph 1 shall apply on the condition that passengers: (a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present themselves for check-in,

The OP did not check in for their original flight. Their original flight was cancelled by BA. Of course I recognise that it is a farcical construction for BA to cancel a four-class flight and create a new three-class flight with the same flight number at presumably the same time, but doing exactly this allows BA to avoid compensation and, as I explained above, I think that is inline with the (right or wrong) intentions of EU261, not an avoidance of them.
Paragraph 1 states
1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory
of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third
country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member
State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received
benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that
third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight
concerned is a Community carrier.

There seems to be no doubt that the flight was in accordance with that. The passenger had a confirmed booking on a flight that met the critera of paragraph 1 and so was wiithin scope

The flight on which the passenger was booked was not cancelled - the passenger checked in for it and flew.

The passenger was transported in a cabin lower than which was purchased
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
The flight on which the passenger was booked was not cancelled - the passenger checked in for it and flew.

There’s the rub. In BA’s construction the flight was cancelled and along with it the OP’s F reservation. A new flight was created and the OP rebooked in J, ie for less avios, the J cost, they purchased J. And then they checked in on the new booking: this is the first point at which Art 10 is assessed, and they have what they paid for on the booking they are checking-in on.

We’ve seen this happen several times. I’m not aware of anyone getting 75% from BA either by pursuing them or having BA’s construction ripped apart in court. Do other airlines do it differently?

Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:41 pm

There’s the rub. In BA’s construction the flight was cancelled and along with it the OP’s F reservation. A new flight was created and the OP rebooked in J, ie for less avios, the J cost, they purchased J. And then they checked in on the new booking: this is the first point at which Art 10 is assessed, and they have what they paid for on the booking they are checking-in on.

We’ve seen this happen several times. I’m not aware of anyone getting 75% from BA either by pursuing them or having BA’s construction ripped apart in court. Do other airlines do it differently?

There is no rub - regardless what BA did with cancelling and rebooking , the passenger purchased a 1st class ticket - An avios ticket is no different to any other and there is nothing in the regulation that supports that an airline is permitted to rebook into a lower cabin without the passenger's consent and not be liable

There is nothing that states that when a flight is cancelled that the airline is not responsible for rebooking in at least the same cabin
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Paragraph 1 states
1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory
of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third
country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member
State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received
benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that
third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight
concerned is a Community carrier.

There seems to be no doubt that the flight was in accordance with that. The passenger had a confirmed booking on a flight that met the critera of paragraph 1 and so was wiithin scope

This one is clear and the suggestion that the Regulation does not apply comes from the presumption that the passengers must check in before the are downgraded. Not so in the least. The check-in requirement is solely there in order to assure that the aggrieved passenger actually does fly.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is an old debate that we had in the EC261 thread about 3 years ago. Essentially the way BA treats this is that if someone is on a First flight, and there is an equipment substitution, then BA treats it a flight cancellation under Article 5 (Cancellation), and offer the appropriate remedies of refund or rebooking on alternative services with part refund if applicable - and this could be First if it was available on another date. BA have won at least two Small Claims Court case in Liverpool and Portsmouth on this basis. Their argument was indeed that Article 10 (Downgrading giving the 75% calculation on long flights) would apply to someone holding a reservation in First and who turned up at the airport to be downgraded, which would not be the case here. Whether we like it or not, that's what happens, and the current reality is that people only get a part refund, covering the F to CW difference. If it got to appellate level then other outcomes are quite possible, in view of the EC261 Regulation general aim to help passengers rather than airlines, but I couldn't be totally certain that the outcome would be different ( I suspect it would be, however). As things stand I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully got 75% back from BA, if told more than 2 weeks off, but I'm happy to receive PMs from anyone who knows differently. I am also not aware of any claims management company being successful in this area either.

What is strange in this case, however, is that BA doesn't suddenly open up First revenue sales for a particular flight at short notice, so I fear that for the OP the switch from 4 class to 3 class was fairly shortlived, but the OP couple may have been unaware of this factor at the time. Normally BA would be prepared to look at restoring the booking into First, but clearly not at the airport at the last minute, and airports also can't process UuA requests either.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no rub - regardless what BA did with cancelling and rebooking , the passenger purchased a 1st class ticket - An avios ticket is no different to any other and there is nothing in the regulation that supports that an airline is permitted to rebook into a lower cabin without the passenger's consent and not be liable

There is nothing that states that when a flight is cancelled that the airline is not responsible for rebooking in at least the same cabin
So you’re now making a different argument? No longer that the OP is entitled to 75%, rather that they must be offered rerouting in F or a rebooking into J, only with their consent and appropriate calculation of fare. That’s what I was saying!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

So you’re now making a different argument? No longer that the OP is entitled to 75%, rather that they must be offered rerouting in F or a rebooking into J, only with their consent and appropriate calculation of fare. That’s what I was saying!
An entirely separate issue.

If a passenger is booked in F and his flight is cancelled at 14+ days, all he is entitled to is rebooking in comparable circumstances within certain time parameters. So long as he is rebooked in F and arrives within the rebooking window, there is neither cancellation compensation nor a downgrade refund due. Alternatively, the passenger could elect a refund and that would be all he gets. Or, the passenger could elect a later reroute at a time when F is available and that would be all he gets.

In this case, OP was rebooked within the time parameters because indeed his cancelled flight was reinstated. Thus, no compensation. He was however not rebooked into F and thus a downgrade refund is due.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:37 pm

No I am not making a different argument

I am stating that whether or not BA "cancelled" the booking and then rebooked in a lower cabin, that the person is entitled to the correct compensation of 75% and that there is nothing in the regulation that provides a get out of paying compensation by doing so

There is nothing in the regulation that states that the passenger must be offered rerouting in 1st class
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Allan38103
"If the purser does his/her personal greeting and asks if everything's ok, she's likely to complain rather than say that everything's fine thank you."

And complain about what? What's the purser empowered to do?

Get your original plane back? No way Offer an apology? Sure, it's free. Offer a sincere apology? Good luck. Get compensated for the downgrade? You already got that.

Go ahead and criticize, but if you complain without offering a solution, you're just whining. If you actually suggest a solution, you're being constructive. Write BA; they might send you some miles.
LOL “get your original plane back”

This thread is hysterical. “What should I say to the purser?” How about nothing!! Empower your partner to say something!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.