Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios booking change - increase taxes & charges

Old Feb 10, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have an Avios booking (GLA-LHR-JFK) in First, and called up to make a change in return date (change to Club World as no First Avios availability). I was expecting to pay the 35 change fee and no change in taxes, however I was quoted an additional 84 in 'taxes & fees' per ticket in addition to the 35 fee, so 119 per ticket to change (there are 4 of us). When I queried why this was so high I was told it was probably a change in fuel surcharge?? Didn't seem right to me so I declined the change for now as I wanted to check if indeed fuel surcharge could have gone up by that amount? I originally made the booking in September last year.

(Also, rather annoyingly what ever was done, my return LHR-GLA leg of the booking is no longer showing in MMB! I'll need to call back anyway so sort this)
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
You could have asked her for a full break down.

If you were going to change the return date was the flight to GLA more than 24 hours after the arrival in to LHR as that would generate some APD liability.
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
She didn't seem to clear when I asked what the increase was for.. that's when she said probably fuel surcharge. I'll try a different agent tomorrow. The GLA leg was was same day as arriving into LHR.
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There is usually a small difference due to forex on foreign currency elements of the fees but this sounds way more than that, and if anything FX would generate a refund as the has strengthened quite a bit against the dollar in recent times.

You could do a dummy booking to get the breakdown of TFC and compare that to your original breakdown on the eTicket receipt, that might shed some light on this. Or just HUACA...
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by FliGuy View Post
I have an Avios booking (GLA-LHR-JFK) in First, and called up to make a change in return date (change to Club World as no First Avios availability). I was expecting to pay the 35 change fee and no change in taxes, however I was quoted an additional 84 in 'taxes & fees' per ticket in addition to the 35 fee, so 119 per ticket to change (there are 4 of us). When I queried why this was so high I was told it was probably a change in fuel surcharge?? Didn't seem right to me so I declined the change for now as I wanted to check if indeed fuel surcharge could have gone up by that amount? I originally made the booking in September last year.

(Also, rather annoyingly what ever was done, my return LHR-GLA leg of the booking is no longer showing in MMB! I'll need to call back anyway so sort this)
If the agent quoted this via the ATC (automatic ticket changer) it would simply quote that there was an increase in Tax/charges it does not display to the agent which taxes/charges change. To check the agent would needto quote the change manually and look individually at which taxes change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: