Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some people have no manners (pt 3.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
Why is it shocking? The person in the photo seems to be reclining on a chaise longue. Why do people get so bent out of shape if bare feet touch anything on board an aircraft? When I travel my impeccably clean feet are inside my impeccably clean shoes. My hands are touching all kinds of surfaces that disgusting people have touched and yet no one seems to have a problem with hands touching bulkheads, seats and footrests.
No need for over-reaction but I don't think it's fantastic hygiene.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Nils21
Well your shoes and socks and feet might be absolutely clean but will they remain clean after you stepped into someone's pee in the lavatory? So with that shoes now covered in urine you put them on the footrest and then you touch the footrest with your hands?
Imagine there was a passenger having a fungus on his feet and he took of the socks...congrats you now have a pretty good chance to get it too since you are touching all kinds of surfaces with your hands and also barefoot.
To keep my socks on is just self protection.
And as we have heard from others they do clean the areas they touch and come in contact with by themselves to make sure.
It is just true that an airplane is used by hundreds of people and there will be a person sitting in your seat after you and cleaning crew are no cleaning Gods so why is it so hard to keep your feet only on surfaces that were designed to hold them?
I didn't mention paddling barefoot*** in the lavatory. I was discussing taking perfectly clean (and healthy) feet out of perfectly clean shoes and putting them on a footrest or a chaise longue.

***This wouldn't be a problem if people didn't insist in peeing all over the floor, and by people, I mean men! I always carry nyplex gloves and disinfectant wipes in my pockets. I don't just clean my seat area. The bathroom is always cleaner when I leave than when I enter.

Last edited by HilFly; Feb 11, 2018 at 7:17 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:18 am

I didn't mention paddling barefoot*** in the lavatory. I was discussing taking perfectly clean (and healthy) feet out of perfectly clean shoes and putting them on a footrest ot a chaise longue.

***This wouldn't be a problem if people didn't insist in peeing all over the floor, and by people, I mean men! I wlways carry nyplex gloves and disinfectant wipes in my pockets. I don't just clean my seat area. The bathroom is always cleaner when I leave than when I enter.
Sorry that I got that wrong.
​​​​​​I personality would still not like it as you never know how clean they are but from a hygienic point of view you are absolutely right.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:27 am

I didn't mention paddling barefoot*** in the lavatory. I was discussing taking perfectly clean (and healthy) feet out of perfectly clean shoes and putting them on a footrest ot a chaise longue.
Of course not everyone's feet are always 100% clean. People perspire on the way to the airport, or perhaps have done a day's work. Or simply that some peoples' definition of "clean" might differ.

It might work at home but not in public or shared places.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Based on past threads from Petrus, I eagerly await BulkheadFootsie to join FT

M
A common theme to this sort of post across Flyertalk is a certain kind of judgmental lack of empathy. The printingandbreakfast thread was a great example because it turned out that the person being shamed had an extenuating circumstance in play and had made rather more effort to ameliorate the disruption they were causing than the original post had let on. Similarly here I can think of several explanations beyond pure boorishness for why another pax might feel a need to elevate their feet in this way even without an obvious disability.

I'd hope that none of the scolds in this thread ever find themselves in a position where they need to do anything at all unorthodox in a public setting for medical or other reasons.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Worth pointing out (before doing a swift runner) that urine is sterile and a good natural disinfectant...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Worth pointing out (before doing a swift runner) that urine is sterile and a good natural disinfectant...
My 4 week old daughters urine may well be sterile, but doesn't mean I don't wash my hands after she uses my hand as her nappy!

M
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:47 am

It was once believed urine was sterile. Then it was thought it was sterile at the point of production and deteriorated rapidly. Now it's known not to be sterile at any point.

https://www.popsci.com/urine-sterile-drinking-pee
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gor...ither-rest-you
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ile-180954809/

and so on.
MiraculousM and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
For all it’s other associations it is great on compost heaps. Especially grass clippings which need lots of nitrogen to break down the fibres.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I didn't know that taking your shoes off was such a big deal, but here's my experience:

If I keep my shoes on throughout my whole journey, in the lounge, and in the plane, smelly feets and smelly shoes will indeed be my fate.
On the other hand, if I do take my shoes off when seated, either for a long time at the lounge or in the plane, my shoes and my feet stay odour-free. (Heck I don't wear shoes in the office, either)

Also you can't hate me cause I always have funny socks on. Checkmate. I'll send you pictures of my socks (or un-shoed feet if you'd rather call it that) next time I'm in Club to gauge reactions
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:43 pm

I suspect that people who think their feet are 'perfectly clean' are the same ones who think that the leash laws does not apply to their dog in public parks since it is somehow better behaved than everybody else's less than perfect dogs.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:26 pm

I think there is footphobia going on here.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I would never go bare footed or even in just socks in public transport, I have either my 'loose' crocs or flipflops for long flights. You can definitely catch things such as a varucca from unconscionable previous fliers

I remember as a teenager a many years ago I caught a varuuca from rented iceskates in London , so wearing socks is zero protection when selfish xxxxx'rs with such contagious personal health issues don't care about infecting others!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Is it ok if you are an ex PM of the UK&I??

switch007 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Is it ok if you are an ex PM of the UK&I??

OH MY GOD...

Are those white socks?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.