Wiki Posts
Search

Some people have no manners (pt 3.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Joshm300

This is shocking...
Putting feet on a footstool is shocking?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hmm... people are of course entitled to post anything they wish (within the known limits which are fully respected here) on FT, but for what it's worth, I find that whole array of 'shaming' photos rather morbid. Do they depict behaviours which I would rather not see? Absolutely. To be honest, however, I don't see what they add to the discussion. I think all of us have enough experience of flying and enough imagination to know exactly what is referred to if anyone wants to discuss whether people should refrain from putting their shoes on the bulkhead, picking their bare toes in the lounge or leaving bras on seats, all of which are perfectly interesting questions, in my personal view without a need for visual illustration or shaming the culprits.
That is a very interesting point of view. Maybe it is time to ban all pictures here - be it of people who clearly are uncouth if not without manners or tedious interminable Trip Reports. I am being quite serious as I do think that you do have a point. On balance, I have to say that I think that a lot of people would have been hard put to believe some of the ill-bred behaviour had there not been pictures. I notice that faces were not visible so no one was shamed. Frankly one might doubt that they would feel any sense of shame as to them it is perfectly acceptable, and indeed they may be surprised that others are not. I often recall that man in F some years ago, who thought that it was perfectly acceptable to start cutting his toe nails. One piece flew through the air and landed in someone's drink. He could not have done that had he tried, but the exchange that took place and that involved me as I was serving the drink. Nowadays someone would have been filming that on their phone and I am afraid that I would have thought that it would have served him right had it come on here for all to see.

I think that you've touched on a very interesting and moot point. I felt that when I saw the photographs of a senior member of BA Cabin Crew who I know in some rather derogatory "trip report" the other day here on FT. I am certain that he did not give his permission for this to be published on the internet - his face was there for all to see and he happened to be doing his job. Where does one draw the line? I say that secure in the knowledge that I will not post any such thing because I am not sure how to post pictures here and secondly I'm not sure that I want to. I'm to busy enjoying my life to want to be bothered.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Putting feet on a footstool is shocking?
Correct me if I am wrong, but were those not in that rather pleasant BMI Lounge in T1? I was not shocked but am rather disgusted at someone taking their shoes and socks off in a Lounge. Did they go and get stuff from the bar/buffet in bare feet.

I always have a problem with people trotting around bare footed away from the beach. It would be so easy to get a nasty cut if there was any glass or anything sharp that the cleaners had missed.
watersign likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
. Do cabin crew and others really find this offensive (my feet generally don't have an odor). If so, I would suggest that cabin temperatures be kept exceptionally cool so that no one is tempted to remove their socks.

The solution for not having people put their shoes on the bulkheads is pretty obvious... add more legroom. In general I find my shoes touch the magazine holder (e.g. the very bottom of the bulkhead) and I'm below average in height.
I speak for no one but me what people do at their seats is their business, it is the sight of people sticking their feet bare, socked, or shod on the bulkhead that I find ojectionable - and so would it seem does Petrus. Maybe this thread is more Omni than BA?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Sorry, but why are feet on the bulhead bad manners?
Shoes on the bulkhead.

Another example of Defining Deviancy Down.

Next it will be OK for me to spit on your seat, after all, I don't have a cold. It's just saliva, probably cleaner than your bottom.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I speak for no one but me what people do at their seats is their business,
I'm not sure that is true in public places since 'their' seat will be somebody else's seat very soon.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
The material (Tedlar) covering the two sections of bulkhead alone costs in the region of Ł30k per wall... but of course some oafscant see past the end of their nose.
What is an "oafscant", and do all of them see so well?

GC
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by TPRun

what exactly did they say? And was there any inkling that they were like “what does it matter to you?”? I’m intrigued as to how some crew would act in that situation
A crew member asked him to sit normal but he resumed position after she walked away. Then i insinuated to their fb if it were a safety issue, and they didn't get it.
TPRun likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by 13900
I worked for about six months as a contract manager, looking after the cleaning contract (back in the day it was ASIG, before OCS and the current provider). Part of my job involved inspecting aircrafts, before and after cleaning. It was only six months before I moved on, but boy wasn't it an eye opener.

I've seen blankets used as cleaning towels for toddlers, emergency exit areas soaked in urine, hand basins used as latrines (very popular on Indian routes), petty vandalism (people perforating the IFE touchscreens with ballpoint pens, punching holes through window blinds, graffiti on the First class seat shells), chewing gums sticked into the seats, especially on the leather armrests of the new First, duvets flushed down the toilet, barf bag emptied into the seat pockets, nappies stuffed in the toilets or under seats... My absolute worse was a string of cases when an insulin syringe had been left, without the cap, in a seat pocket, pointing up. It happened 3 times within months, always in Traveller Plus, always on the same route. We tried to identify the scumbag that was doing it, because it was clear that it was being done on purpose, but unfortunately we didn't catch him, or her. Two poor cleaning ladies had to be taken to hospital to be checked for HIV and other problems.

It really was an eye opener on how disgusting people can be.
This doesn't surprise me. I worked for a few years for a hotel chain and there sure were quite a few interesting stories related to rather unfortunate behavior by guests with sometimes quite disturbing consequences.

I guess it's the same for most jobs where you have to deal with people who take no ownership of their actions and fear no repercussions for them either or with the mess they leave behind. A lot of people when they travel act as if the whole thing is somehow separate from who they are in their normal lives. As a result they often show their worst sides. It's funny for me because as I got around more and saw more of the world, I became more of a cynic about people than I was as a kid. I don't want to blow it out of proportion or get too metaphysical here, but 'darkness' in people is a real thing and if you come across it in clear view, it tends to open your eyes a bit.
Stez likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
This doesn't surprise me. I worked for a few years for a hotel chain and there sure were quite a few interesting stories related to rather unfortunate behavior by guests with sometimes quite disturbing consequences.

I guess it's the same for most jobs where you have to deal with people who take no ownership of their actions and fear no repercussions for them either or with the mess they leave behind. A lot of people when they travel act as if the whole thing is somehow separate from who they are in their normal lives. As a result they often show their worst sides. It's funny for me because as I got around more and saw more of the world, I became more of a cynic about people than I was as a kid. I don't want to blow it out of proportion or get too metaphysical here, but 'darkness' in people is a real thing and if you come across it in clear view, it tends to open your eyes a bit.
Very well said, it indeed changed my perspective a bit.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I worked for a hotel company which had many high profile guests. Even to this day, and especially with the MeToo campaign, I wished I'd reported what I read on guest profiles to the police.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Compared to some of the things I've seen going on during my 60 plus years of sharing public transport with the general public I have to say all these examples are very tame.
adrianlondon and Eskimoboy like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Originally Posted by Joshm300

This is shocking...
Why is it shocking? The person in the photo seems to be reclining on a chaise longue. Why do people get so bent out of shape if bare feet touch anything on board an aircraft? When I travel my impeccably clean feet are inside my impeccably clean shoes. My hands are touching all kinds of surfaces that disgusting people have touched and yet no one seems to have a problem with hands touching bulkheads, seats and footrests.

Last edited by HilFly; Feb 10, 2018 at 11:02 pm Reason: Fixing quote
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Reminder me if a story about Monty Python on tour in the US. In those days some Hotels quite liked Rock Groups to trash hotel rooms as it was a effective way to get extensive press coverage.

The hotel manager found this world famous group somewhat tamer and emplored them to get on with trashing the room.

Eventually one of them and I forget who, went to the bathroom, snapped the complimentary toothbrush into two and asked if that was sufficient?
BlueThroughCrimp and JayeJ like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
When I travel my impeccably clean feet are inside my impeccably clean shoes. My hands are touching all kinds of surfaces that disgusting people have touched and yet no one seems to have a problem with hands touching bulkheads, seats and footrests.
Well your shoes and socks and feet might be absolutely clean but will they remain clean after you stepped into someone's pee in the lavatory? So with that shoes now covered in urine you put them on the footrest and then you touch the footrest with your hands?
Imagine there was a passenger having a fungus on his feet and he took of the socks...congrats you now have a pretty good chance to get it too since you are touching all kinds of surfaces with your hands and also barefoot.
To keep my socks on is just self protection.
And as we have heard from others they do clean the areas they touch and come in contact with by themselves to make sure.
It is just true that an airplane is used by hundreds of people and there will be a person sitting in your seat after you and cleaning crew are no cleaning Gods so why is it so hard to keep your feet only on surfaces that were designed to hold them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.