Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please, passport validity question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Like the OP, when I travelled a lot, someone else fixed it all. I had to have 2 of the many-pages passports, both of which had interesting times with couriers, and they never lasted very long. For the travel I just picked up whatever I was told to, had a paper itinerary, and got in the taxi that someone else had booked.
It was only when booking family holidays that the complexities crept in...............So I have empathy with the OP.

Now, er, when does my passport run out????
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Omba

UK gov advice for Thailand wrong.

Only exception, if if you want to call it that, was the waiving of 6 months requirement into KL by dint of transiting only.

Just as well it wasn’t a Langkawi holiday.
I think it's rather silly that the UK government tries to include information like this on their website, as it's going to change all the time and be tied to a whole raft of issues. Easier I think to be directing people to the relevant embassy - or even TIMATIC...
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gms
A near 100% increase in the cost premium of the Premium service seems unjustifiable, especially given that technology must be making it more efficient to process such documents. It does seem fair to charge a premium, but I guess they've worked out that people who need a quick turnaround have limited other options. It would work out cheaper for most people to create a justification to get a second passport!
Living outside the UK is often a real problem for UK passport renewal. You must fill out the forms online, send in the old passport, pay an enhanced fee plus return courier charge and be prepared to wait 3 weeks on top of whatever the transit time of your old passport to the UK is. Anybody who needs to cross any international border in that time, like I do every week, is pretty much stuffed. I also used a premium appointment on a Saturday to get my last renewal, had a nice day in the capital and actually saved money. It was great when I used to be able to rock up at pretty much any consulate in the world with a form, a photo, the old passport and 4 hours of time. Now I suppose, one needs to burn an RFS as well.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:35 am

It's pretty quick at the minute - posted my old passport from Ibiza on 26th Jan, it was received by the passport office in Belfast on 29th Jan, and the new one back with me on 5th Feb.

If your renewal is coming up in 2017, do get your renewal in before the prices go up!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
We went for the Fast Track service whilst in the UK last summer as cheaper (I think) and certainly easier and quicker than doing so from Australia. Handed over the photos and forms and dosh, specifically checking that the photos were OK as hubby could have been considered to have a slight smile on his face - all OK we were told. Four hours later, now many miles from London, we got a call that the photos weren't good enough. It's the Passport Office that's not good enough IMO.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.