Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please, passport validity question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:05 am

You should be fine, regardless. You might need to get the expiry date wrong during MH's OLCI though to get a boarding pass in the UK though.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Omba
She doesn't know yet
I love this....
WorldLux and nick.t.davies like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
She doesn't know yet
May I ask if your pants are still clean?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Update. Having spoken to GGL the issue is more about the flight to KUL. I have been advised that the 6 month validity will prevent boarding the flight to KUL. Their official advice for Thailand is passport validity beyond length of stay only. I tried to suggest if there were any documents I could show to prove in transit only but was rebuffed
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That doesn't sound correct. If you were going to Manila from KUL on a separate booking, you merely need to show evidence of the connection when you go through T5. Something that happens daily. They got that piece of advice wrong. I use Manila as an example as that is clear cut. And you don't pass through KUL passports anyway if flying on from the main terminal.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
So I think you should get on to the Malaysian high commission for some guidance.

On the basis most countries don't need a visa to transit in KL, I would have thought the visa regs (i.e. 6 months left on your passport) would be irrelevant.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:53 am

Update. Having spoken to GGL the issue is more about the flight to KUL. I have been advised that the 6 month validity will prevent boarding the flight to KUL. Their official advice for Thailand is passport validity beyond length of stay only. I tried to suggest if there were any documents I could show to prove in transit only but was rebuffed
That's not right - you will need to show evidence of your MH tickets at T5, but this will be ok. There's no passport control unless you're leaving the airside area.

I wouldn't go back to the GGL team, I'd just have a copy of your MH tickets and timatic if you're feeling fancy and turn up at T5 with confidence.

Last edited by 710 77345; Feb 7, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That doesn't sound correct. If you were going to Manila from KUL on a separate booking, you merely need to show evidence of the connection when you go through T5. Something that happens daily. They got that piece of advice wrong.
I agree. This doesn't square with either logic or experience. Possibly a case of trying to get a little advice from the Malaysian embassy and go to the GGL armed with that. Another question to ask BA is whether if you have a via KUL booked on one PNR you would have the same 6 month restriction - if not, that gives you an option to travel at least and you may be able to argue back from there about the fact you do have an onward ticket and no baggage.

Is your daughter old enough to travel on her own, on the flight you're on or a direct one to Phuket? I guess that getting her there one way or another gives you a bit of time to sort out the return leg, and you may be able to get the GGL to save her return ticket under the circumstances.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: IHG Gold
About 2 weeks ago I renewed my passport online. Now you can have a friend take the photo and upload it.
Timeline: 23rd Jan - Apply online. 25th Jan - post off old passport (special delivery). 30th Jan - receive new passport. 1st Feb - receive old, cancelled passport. I was without passport for a total of 6 days.

signol
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Of course, getting the OK to depart T5 to KUL is one thing (and a second GGL agent was much more positive about that, while doing some more digging for me)........the issue will be the return flight, getting an MH flight to KUL to transfer onto a separately ticketed flight to the UK, even if just transiting airside in KUL. I am not sure how that conversation would go at the Thai airport
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:26 am

MAS will also use TIMATIC and see the same information - airlines are used to multiple tickets so I would not overthink this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by 710 77345
MAS will also use TIMATIC and see the same information - airlines are used to multiple tickets so I would not overthink this.
seconded, even on separate tickets if she can prove at T5 that she has a connection from KUL to somewhere where her passport is accepted, eg Thailand, she will be fine. Of course HBO only.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Good luck, and do give us an update tomorrow.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Correct. the passport in question is my daughters so no emergency passport in 1 day is possible.
If your daughter can get a letter from her company (assuming she is old enough to work) to say that she requires a second passport for lodging with countries that require visas then she can get a second passport.

I have two passports because I'm a frequent traveler and I need to stick one in every now and then for VISAs
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
TIMATIC says that for a UK passport, it has to be valid for 1 month after arrival in Thailand.

Also the Thai Embassy website makes no reference of a 6 month validity requirement except for some counties in the Middle East

So I think you're OK - will just need to argue the toss with MH in KL.

(Sorry, misread that - the 6 month requirement is for Malaysia). How about calling the Malaysian High Commission?
Looks like it si a transit at KUL and not clearing customs. Does that negate the MY visa restrictions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.